Shanahan joins Devils

jkrdevil

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long time no post, but Shanny brought me back..

Interesting, I like the move but was really shocked, never thought Shanny would come back, although never thought Holik would be back either....

good move, certainly helps a weak PP ( the atlanta game put me over the edge...)

and if he plays w/ Rolston & Holik, its a very formidalbe line...

and he's a guy who leaves it on the ice, rarely takes nights off, which has been the devs proble lately..

Haven't posted all season, felt this was a good topic to weigh in on.

Personally, I like the move. Shanahan getting 4th line minutes, PP and PK minutes, will be more effective then any of the "future stars" in Lowell that many folks on this board are longing for. That unconditional love for those kids makes me scratch my head. Brendan Shanahan at 40 blows away ANY option on the farm. Unfortunately, many here go ga-ga over names like Bergfors. Is it because he was a first rounder? I digress.

As far as who comes out of the lineup? I think Madden's days are numbered on this roster. If that's not the plan, then in my eyes, Pando is forward #13.

For anyone who thinks Rupper comes out, last night is the perfect reason he doesn't.

Greene levels Parise=Rupp pounds Greene.

The Devils have MANY willing fighters who do a great job, but Rupper is a heavyweight. Never thought I'd say that, but he has really impressed this season.

This has been my favorite Devils team in years, 'cause they have an edge they haven't had since having Oliwa. With fighting up BIG TIME, and it not going away any time soon, the fact that he does what he does, AND, he can play the game, not only do you keep him in the lineup, but I think he gets a long, hard look as a re-sign this summer.

Of course, my version of "can play" doesn't mean he's only 22, and has 30 goal potential with first line minutes, as it seems many here want as a requirement to be on this roster.

QUOTE (Jerrydevil @ Jan 11 2009, 10:14 AM)

I don't get some people's conjecture that Rupp is the odd man out. If the Devils are running a hockey team and not a seniority list, the odd man out should be Jay Pandolfo, pending another move by Lamoriello.

Yup, sorry Pando but Rupp has been doing a great job, he's bigger, stronger, become a betterthan average fighter,

has more offensive upside and is younger and cheaper. And yes, Holik hasn't done much and still takes too many

stupid penalties-plus he's probably the slowest guy on the team. I'd give Madden a shot at the 3rd line center

he can still skate and maybe playing with guys who can score will rejuvenate him.

lines 3 & 4

Rolston Madden Clarkson

Rupp Holik Shanahan

Cmon man. 1st, White has a NTC. 2nd, do you really think Florida would trade a top 5 dman in the league for a trade centered around Colin White?

I never said White would or should be a centerpiece in a trade, and no I don't think Florida would trade for him. I was just saying that I don't like Colin White.

Being a very big fan on physical hockey I used to Hate Rupp because I felt as if he didnt realize he wasn't a scorer and he would play soft, but im really starting to like him and hes becoming one of my favorites to watch. I would have liked to see him get a hold of Dustin Brown but I guess pounding Greene was a good consolation prize.

How many Cup rings does this locker room have now?

Brodeur 3

Shanahan 3

Elias 2

Holik 2

Madden 2

White 2

Pandolfo 2

Langenbrunner 2

Rolston 1

Gionta 1

Rupp 1

Clemmensen 1

A total of 21 rings. Not too shabby.

Clemmer has a Cup Ring? Wasn't Schwab the backup in '03?

> According to his career stats he played a couple games in 2001-2002 with NJ but none in the 2002-2003 season.

Edited by nmigliore

I was hoping that this was a joke. This is going to be Larinov II (and Mogilny/Malahkov returns).

I hope I am wrong, but this looks like one of those rare Lou mistakes.

No matter what happens, I'm not sure this could ever be called a mistake. We're giving up nothing to get him, a tiny contract, and it's not like we're calling him in to play first line minutes.

It's like the smallest risk/reward move.

No matter what happens, I'm not sure this could ever be called a mistake. We're giving up nothing to get him, a tiny contract, and it's not like we're calling him in to play first line minutes.

It's like the smallest risk/reward move.

Didn't we say that about Mogilny a few years ago?

We've never pulled a trade with the Rangers, we sure as sh!t ain't starting for Shanahan. :lol:

The day we trade with the Rangers is the day I root for the Cowboys. Which also happens to be the day Which also happens to be the day hell freezes over.