Star Ledger - Shanny's is #18

John Wensink

According to SL - #18

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/01...tes_with_n.html

Some see Sarge's number a sacred, me not so much.

That's going to be a little bit weird. I'm so used to Sergei Brylin wearing that number, but sadly he is no longer with the team.

That's going to be a little bit weird. I'm so used to Sergei Brylin wearing that number, but sadly he is no longer with the team.

Meh, the same thing was said earlier with Mottau wearing Nieds #27. We'll get used to it.

I'm glad its a low #, some of these teams with #s in the 70s-80s and 90s is amature if you ask me.

Thought perhaps we'd at least honor Sarge for a year or so, sort of the way we did with Nieds. Well, that's all right. I say it was either 10 or 18, since nobody's taking 13. Whatever, technicalities. It's the numbers he puts up that are more important than the numbers on his jersey.

I'm glad he got 18 and didn't take Madden's number.

I was kinda' hoping he went for Madden's, Gionta, or Zajac's as he has worn all three in the past (just not all with the Devils).

Only four players have wore a number higher than 44 during the regular season so it would've been a shock to see someone else do it. The last two were Mogilny (#89) and Gilmour (#93) and before that a pair of #88's in the mid-to-early 80's...

I believe there is at least one more trade in the future for this season. Apart from Brodeur, Parise, Langenbrunner, Elias, and Rolston I don't think anyone else is safe.

I don't know why everyone is surprised, Bergfors already wore 18 this year.

Yes sir he did! Good call bro, I forgot about that.

meh, I don't really care what number he is. (although I'm glad he didn't pick 94) It's not like Brylin's number was gonna be retired anyway. Besides, I think he wore 18 briefly while playing with the London Knights, so that works.

Edited by Beezer34

I was hoping Sarge's number would be sacred, but that was tarnished when Bergfors wore his number this year. And I didn't mind Neiders number being used because he left us, where Brylin wanted to stay. And Mottau was scratched when the Ducks played here last season.

I'd just give him 10 or 21. No one will be over number 30 cause of brodeur. Only Clemmenson is, but he's never playing at the same time as Marty so it doesn't matter.

Trade Gionta, the most overrated devil, and give shanahan his 14.