Star Ledger - Shanny's is #18

John Wensink

Today is our independance day.

We will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish ... without a fight

I was hoping Sarge's number would be sacred, but that was tarnished when Bergfors wore his number this year. And I didn't mind Neiders number being used because he left us, where Brylin wanted to stay. And Mottau was scratched when the Ducks played here last season.

I'd just give him 10 or 21. No one will be over number 30 cause of brodeur. Only Clemmenson is, but he's never playing at the same time as Marty so it doesn't matter.

Trade Gionta, the most overrated devil, and give shanahan his 14.

What does Gio have to do for people to get off his back? I'm not saying he's untradeable, but he's been damn good this year.

I was hoping Sarge's number would be sacred, but that was tarnished when Bergfors wore his number this year. And I didn't mind Neiders number being used because he left us, where Brylin wanted to stay. And Mottau was scratched when the Ducks played here last season.

I'd just give him 10 or 21. No one will be over number 30 cause of brodeur. Only Clemmenson is, but he's never playing at the same time as Marty so it doesn't matter.

Trade Gionta, the most overrated devil, and give shanahan his 14.

What? Nobody even talks about Gionta, ever; so how can be "overrated" ?.. last year he had a horrible season no doubt but this season: 38 pts in 43 games. Hes probably gonna finish around the same goal-mark as last year but he will probably come close to doubling his assists.

Edited by nmigliore

What? Nobody even talks about Gionta, ever; so how can be "overrated" ?.. last year he had a horrible season no doubt but this season: 38 pts in 43 games. Hes probably gonna finish around the same goal-mark as last year but he will probably come close to doubling his assists.

We don't have Gionta for his assists. We have him for his goals, which he has only one good season for. Gionta is too afraid to drive the net and ALWAYS does a slap shot. His wind up takes too long and the goalie always squares himself up in time. If Gionta didn't try to rip it everytime I'd like him more. Perfect example is the Rangers game when he scored by driving the net instead of the slapshot attempt. He needs to do that more often, he seems to be skating slower lately too.

I just think we'd have the ability for better lines without him in there. He can only play with Elias. He was terrible on the Madden line. And before the Madden line was finally broken up again it seemed like the line of "who can we put on the wing to make a complete line?"

I dunno.

Somebody is scoring when Gio is getting points. Gio would get more goals and less points if he was on a line constructed differently. Right now his job is to distribute the puck and bounce around the passing lanes. When he was goal scoring his job was to stand in front of the net. He's been very effective in his current role.

One thing I've been noticing about Gionta is, he is shooting for rebounds. The last two years it seemed to me that he was trying too hard to score with every shot he took and in the process, he became the logo blaster. Now he's keeping it low, shooting it right off the pads trying get rebounds. That is definetly going to be a reason for his rise in assists.

Anyone see this also? Or am I just crazy?

Edited by Devils Pride 26

One thing I've been noticing about Gionta is, he is shooting for rebounds. The last two years it seemed to me that he was trying too hard to score with every shot he took and in the process, he became the logo blaster. Now he's keeping it low, shooting it right off the pads trying get rebounds. That is definetly going to be a reason for his rise in assists.

Anyone see this also? Or am I just crazy?

nope, i definitely noticed it last night.

also he's not shooting quite as much.

i forsee this: gionta is playing up high on the power play which is terrible. shanahan is a perfect fit there. get rid of clarkson on the PP, move shanahan in, profit. while i think clarkson has played well on the power play he's still not better than gionta.

i forsee this: gionta is playing up high on the power play which is terrible. shanahan is a perfect fit there. get rid of clarkson on the PP, move shanahan in, profit. while i think clarkson has played well on the power play he's still not better than gionta.

That would be perfect. Gio is only playing the halfboard because he's the best of bad options. Gio really gets his strengths played to being in front of the net. Sutter doesn't seem to like Gio in front of the net though, Sutter seems to want bigger physical guys there so I don't think Gio would get to be the net guy still.

How many posts do you have to make everyone yell at you for? As far as "No one will ever be over 30 because of Brodeur"... I remember a guy named Alexander Mogilny. I'm pretty sure he played at the same time as brodeur...

And what do you mean "Gionta is the most overrated devil"... you know, people actually need to stand up and scream HE'S THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD for his stats to be considered overrated... but never mind me; go praise Andy Greene and explain why he's 10,000x better than Bryce Salvador.

I think Mogilny is different. His number actually had meaning. Most players are just given numbers by the coaching staff. It doesn't seem like players lately can choose their number. I can't remember the last time a player was above 30? Mogilny and Gilmour are the first players that come to mind. I might be missing some. But that's what it seems like to me.

And yeah, I do think Gionta is overrated. I don't think he's a first liner anymore. I also think Greene is way better than Salvador.

But you seem to become a fan of me ;)

I think Mogilny is different. His number actually had meaning. Most players are just given numbers by the coaching staff. It doesn't seem like players lately can choose their number. I can't remember the last time a player was above 30? Mogilny and Gilmour are the first players that come to mind. I might be missing some. But that's what it seems like to me.

And yeah, I do think Gionta is overrated. I don't think he's a first liner anymore. I also think Greene is way better than Salvador.

:blink::rofl:

Stephane Richer wore 44 and wasn't Steve Thomas 32? Most of the time the Devils don't have "superstar" players who demand high numbers that distinguish them from the team. That's Lou's real issue with the high number thing: the individuality aspect. Unless its a player that he feels that the drawback to the team mentality of the unique number demanded is outweighed by the value brought by the player in question (like Gilmour and Mogilny as well as to a slightly lesser extent Richer and Thomas) then his philosophy is that the 28 numbers between 1 and 30 should more than adequately cover the skating players on the team. The numbers 1 and 30somethings are traditionally goalie numbers.

Stephane Richer wore 44 and wasn't Steve Thomas 32? Most of the time the Devils don't have "superstar" players who demand high numbers that distinguish them from the team. That's Lou's real issue with the high number thing: the individuality aspect. Unless its a player that he feels that the drawback to the team mentality of the unique number demanded is outweighed by the value brought by the player in question (like Gilmour and Mogilny as well as to a slightly lesser extent Richer and Thomas) then his philosophy is that the 28 numbers between 1 and 30 should more than adequately cover the skating players on the team. The numbers 1 and 30somethings are traditionally goalie numbers.

I see your point and agree.

Yahoo sports has Shanahan as number 33? hmm