Someone on New Jersey Devils about to lose job with Brendan Shanahan s

SC Devs Fan

It has to be Pandolfo that sits, just look at how his TOI stat has dwindled. If you take away PK time he is not out there for much of the game at all. When the Devils realized they needed to get away from a "checking" line mentality against better teams, Pandolfo was left with no real role on the team. I would be very surprised if Pandolfo stays in the lineup once Shanny gets here.

Edited by chrisg19

i don't think it's going to matter. shanahan can kill penalties too, and it's not like penalty killing is some incredibly valuable skill. please don't try to claim it's the goaltender - the devils' PK wasn't very good last year either.

Pandolfo was injured a good portion of last year and yes, your goaltender is your best PK'er. It is a skill, there is a reason why Pandolfo and Madden have been the first unit for years. There is only so much they can do up high when you have slugs on the back end who can't releave pressure, block shots and dump the puck. There is a reason our PK was so good with Stevens and Danyeko blocking shots.

Pandolfo was injured a good portion of last year and yes, your goaltender is your best PK'er. It is a skill, there is a reason why Pandolfo and Madden have been the first unit for years. There is only so much they can do up high when you have slugs on the back end who can't releave pressure, block shots and dump the puck. There is a reason our PK was so good with Stevens and Danyeko blocking shots.

don't discount the change in rules. back then, you could beat down anyone that stood in front of the net and hold guys on the wall - you can't do that now.

that being said, the madden/pando PK was not good because they NEVER applied any pressure on the PK. the passive box just doesn't work.

If people can't see that Pando is diminishing not only in his play, but in his favor with Sutter, your crazy.

Someone said it best, Pando is know for his coverage of Jagr and Jagr is now in Russia. I hope the Kremlin has another bed handy because they may be taking in our boy from Boston.

I think Boston would love to have Pandolfo since he had maybe his best season under Julien along with their currrent injuries.

if for nothing else other than escaping his cap hit of $2.5MM for a true 4th liner, i would deal him for a 4th round pick right now.

i just don't see anyone interested in his contract right now. perhaps a team needing to reach the floor would take him under the guise of "defense and leadership".

I think Boston would love to have Pandolfo since he had maybe his best season under Julien along with their currrent injuries.

why do we have to find another home for our 13th forward, especially when we've got 4 UFAs at forward and little with which to replace them.

i don't think boston is stupid enough to take on that contract.

why do we have to find another home for our 13th forward, especially when we've got 4 UFAs at forward and little with which to replace them.

i don't think boston is stupid enough to take on that contract.

Not stupid but desperate, Pandolfo is not staying as a 13th forward...either he plays or Lou will try to move him to a destination he agrees on. I can give you 2.5 million reasons for that.

Not stupid but desperate, Pandolfo is not staying as a 13th forward...either he plays or Lou will try to move him to a destination he agrees on. I can give you 2.5 million reasons for that.

huh? pandolfo has 2 years left on his deal, the devils have several forwards capable of walking next year. even if pandolfo is squeezed out of the rotation entirely, he's worth keeping around because he can still fill in on the bottom two lines, whereas vrana and bergfors really cannot. when has lou ever gutted his depth at the deadline? this is a guy who's traded for an 8th defenseman multiple times - a guy who traded for peter zezel at the deadline, barely played him, then buried him in the minors the next season as pure depth.

plus why would boston want pandolfo? they have krejci and kessel as RFAs next year, plus both their goalies are free agents. they're going to have to shell out at least 10 million for a goalie, krejci, and kessel next off-season. plus, they already have a very similar player in PJ Axelsson who will likely sign for less money and be better.

it's going to be a competition between rupp and pandolfo, and the fact that shanahan has already been mentioned as part of the penalty kill suggests that pandolfo's role is extraneous - shanahan is more versatile, can score more, and can play on the power play.

Edited by Triumph

Trade Gionta for a pick or d-man while his stock is slightly up, then we don't have to worry about sitting anyone. Have Shanahan play with people who can pass since (i hope) he knows how to put the puck in the net.

Otherwise, I think Clarkson will be benched.

Thats ridiculous. What are you BLind? Rupp AND Clarkson, Hit, go to the net and score goals. Rupp also sticks up for players like parise. Rupp also said in the papers NO ONE will push around our stars...... Why would you sit a guy like that?

Instead you want to play pandolfo satansdevils, who has been horrible on the PK, does NOT hit, does not go to the net, only has 4 goals. and 9 points.... We shouldve resigned brylin and not pandolfo... at least brylin wouldve scored more goals..... Pandolfo doesnt play against the top linies anymore. He is useless.... His time has passed in the NHL with the Devils.

I cant believe how blind satansdevils is on here and he cant see this....... Then again, He also said the titans were the best team in the NFL.... He also picked the Panthers to win the NFC championship, and he also said the Mets would regain first place and make the playoffs.... LOL

I do agree that Jay has had a poor 1st half of the season.

Half a season and people here are ready to pronounce his career "DOA", a successful 2cnd half and people will want to make him Captain....

Its the "what have you done for me lately attitude".

If the crux of the issue is "age and game play".

I'm just not ready to dump Jay for a 40 year old forward who is realistically an "intangible" - that I haven't even see play yet.

if for nothing else other than escaping his cap hit of $2.5MM for a true 4th liner, i would deal him for a 4th round pick right now.

i just don't see anyone interested in his contract right now. perhaps a team needing to reach the floor would take him under the guise of "defense and leadership".

As almost every player on this team said at the signing, he brings much more to the room than what's on the ice alone.

I guess no one's allowed a bad half-season unless your last name is: Greene, Zajac, or Elias.

Again, why dump him for something that's an unknown right now?

I do agree that Jay has had a poor 1st half of the season.

Half a season and people here are ready to pronounce his career "DOA", a successful 2cnd half and people will want to make him Captain....

Its the "what have you done for me lately attitude".

If the crux of the issue is "age and game play".

I'm just not ready to dump Jay for a 40 year old forward who is realistically an "intangible" - that I haven't even see play yet.

Well at this point... you look at the team and you gotta think.... well who's playing bad and who will the team miss the LEAST if he sits??

Obviously the top 6 are safe and all doing well

Rolston is scoring again now

Madden adds faceoff value and is getting a few assists with Rolston and Clarkson doing the dirty work

Clarkson's gotten better (my Randy McKay 2.0 hopes are growing)

Rupp does his job, and I think the boxing lessons made him not just a better fighter, but a better athlete on ice and it's done wonders for him

Holik does just about what you expect from him and again... good on faceoffs....

that leaves Pandolfo...

not scoring.. a bit slow on defense... kills penalties but so do: Parise, Elias, Langs, Madden, Rolston, Gionta and Zajac... the only thing he brings to the table...so does everyone else

and I don't think Shanny will be an every game player and he's gonna suck when he hits the ice no matter how long he takes to train for it

I still think Shanny and Marty rehabbing in Lowell together would be hilarious :P

Rupp or Clarkson IMO. TI think both will be taking turns in and out of the line up depending on the team the Devils are playing when Shanahan is inserted into the line up.

I could be wrong of course, but I don't believe either will go. Sutter loves Clarkie, and Rupp is doing a good job this season. And when I say Sutter loves Clarkie I mean in a "you're my son and I know you can play better than you are so I'm going to kick you in the ass until you start producing" kind of way. :D

Rupp is doing the job he was put on the team for. Being big and stopping the players on the other team (just like Holik's role). And in my opinion, he's doing a fine job at it.

i am very interested in whats going to happen with this devils team. I have a feeling that there going to trade gionta(something i do not want to see). Gionta and somebody maybe for a dman and a forward. Itll be very interesting. We as fans just have to wait back and see

what the HELL are you smoking? You honestly think replacing Clarkson with Shanahan would be beneficial to the team!??

It's planet SD... Clemmensen is the next Roy, predictions are about picking the losers, and the rivers are chocolate and the trees are made of gumdrops!

I agrre with the majority here, pandolfo will likely see a significant reduction in ice time and be a frequent healthy scratch once the old goat gets his skating legs back.

madden is way to valuable in the face off circle and penalty kill to even contemplate.

Well, if what TG said in the comments section of his blog is correct, then it could be Madden. He said that apparently Sutter wants Rolston and Shanahan on the same line and that Rolston could be moved to centre ice.

Take it with a pinch of salt...

Edited by britdevil