Shanahan signs

gionta182

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 in 73 games last year also on the 3rd/4th line plus PP. I would honestly pick the over here.

I think the biggest question will be how long it takes him to get into form. It's taken Sundin a few games and Shanny has a couple years on him. Maybe 4-7 games before we see the real Shanahan?

Edit:

nhlnumbers.com is updated with Shanny counting as a $383k cap hit and the Devils having $2.056M of remaining cap space.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

nhlnumbers.com is updated with Shanny counting as a $383k cap hit and the Devils having $2.056M of remaining cap space.

Dump Pandolfo + picks (1st and 3rd) and prospects for Kaberle.

Elias - Zubrus - Gionta

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner

Rolston - Madden - Clarkson

Rupp - Holik - Shanahan

Salvador - Martin

White - Kaberle

Oduya - Mottau

Brodeur

I can dream right?

Edited by britdevil

Dump Pandolfo + picks (1st and 3rd) and prospects for Kaberle.

Elias - Zubrus - Gionta

Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner

Rolston - Madden - Clarkson

Rupp - Holik - Shanahan

Salvador - Martin

White - Kaberle

Oduya - Mottau

Brodeur

I can dream right?

Kaberle has been in and out with some mysterious "nagging injury" I think.

Jersey #94? :whistling:

As far as Sheldon Souray, yeah everyone says that it has been a rumor for a long time, but remember, Marty and Sheldon own that pizza place in Montreal... Im just saying Marty may have a little pull with Souray into talking him to come here, especially with the team we have this year and the real chance we have at a run for the Cup this year. :koolaid:

EDIT

Well well, Ive found the hidden page on the Devils website for Mr Shanahan, hes already taken a photograph sporting the Devils jersey. Also interesting point is that the little player drop down menu next to his name, has all the players from Lowell not NJ, starting with Bergfors... It also still has him though as #14, is anyone #14 on Lowell?... Maybe Gionta's as good as gone.... or Maybe Madden is gone... who knows lol Guess time will tell.... Link below.

Brendan Shanahan Player Page via NewJerseyDevils.com

Edited by BlizzardCyclone

Final stat line:

32 GP

9 G

12 A

14 PIM

Thats still better than what Pandolfo will finish the year with...

I personally think Shanahan is gonna score 11 goals and 11 assists...

Which PP does he go on?... I would assume the 2nd...

Gionta/Zubrus/Shanahan/Rolston/Greene??

HA!!!

Okay, so what's the over-under on Shanahan getting 8 goals in the remaining half-season?

I'm taking the under, but just barely...I say he finishes with 7.

Thats still better than what Pandolfo will finish the year with...

I personally think Shanahan is gonna score 11 goals and 11 assists...

Which PP does he go on?... I would assume the 2nd...

Gionta/Zubrus/Shanahan/Rolston/Greene??

Holy crap, that's better than a lot of team's first units

Elias/Zajac/Parise/Langenbrunner/Martin

Gionta/Zubrus/Shanahan/Rolston/Greene (or Oduya)

wow...

shocked the contract is for this little. i figured even though lou was bidding against himself that shanahan is a marquee player and would have a problem taking such a huge paycut. i guess it shows that shanny really wanted to play again and that he wanted to leave his new team room to get some other guys if they wanted to.

This also put the whole notion of Shanny not wanting to be here to rest. At first, I thought he might just be looking for a nice payday, but the contract proves he really wants to be here. Makes me that much more comfortable with the signing.

Too much for too long, terrible signing Lou. :rolleyes:

Holy crap, that's better than a lot of team's first units

Elias/Zajac/Parise/Langenbrunner/Martin

Gionta/Zubrus/Shanahan/Rolston/Greene (or Oduya)

wow...

It's really not that wow.... we've been rolling those lines all year and last year without Rolston and Shanny with lousy results. Rolston hasn't done too much and Shanny probably wont either. These are mediocre pp lines at best, which is better then pitiful I suppose.

Edited by squishyx

Too much for too long, terrible signing Lou. :rolleyes:

It's really not that wow.... we've been rolling those lines all year and last year without Rolston and Shanny with lousy results. Rolston hasn't done too much and Shanny probably wont either. These are mediocre pp lines at best, which is better then pitiful I suppose.

I completely disagree. I think those are two very impressive PP units. The top unit has been streaky with its production, but it has shown when it's on it can score like the best of'em. That second might get a little predictable seeing as it's sole obvious objective is point shots, but those are two of the best in the game at it so I'm still confident.

Also, to compare these to the ones last year is just being ignorant to the facts. Elias and Parise are both on pace to have 30+ more points than last year, Zajaac was in his sophmore slump and langenbrunner couldn't hit a soccer net with his shot. and then with the second unit (what we had of it) Gionta, well, see parise, elias, and langenbrunner for all of gio's problems last year, and Zubrus had zero confidence. We also had a vastly underachieving Greene and until late in the season the same for Oduya, plus the key part of that unit wasn't even on the team (Rolston and Shanny's shots). So to argue that those lines aren't among the elite 1-2 punches as far as PP goes is just dumb.

I completely disagree. I think those are two very impressive PP units. The top unit has been streaky with its production, but it has shown when it's on it can score like the best of'em. That second might get a little predictable seeing as it's sole obvious objective is point shots, but those are two of the best in the game at it so I'm still confident.

Also, to compare these to the ones last year is just being ignorant to the facts. Elias and Parise are both on pace to have 30+ more points than last year, Zajaac was in his sophmore slump and langenbrunner couldn't hit a soccer net with his shot. and then with the second unit (what we had of it) Gionta, well, see parise, elias, and langenbrunner for all of gio's problems last year, and Zubrus had zero confidence. We also had a vastly underachieving Greene and until late in the season the same for Oduya, plus the key part of that unit wasn't even on the team (Rolston and Shanny's shots). So to argue that those lines aren't among the elite 1-2 punches as far as PP goes is just dumb.

Those are just intangible arguments. Player X has this going for him this year, or Player Y is no longer injured or Player Z is on pace for this, none of those actually matter when it comes to results. Despite all the things you listed, the Devils power play is mediocre and now we have a slight modification.

Bottom line is, it doesn't produce like a a team with two great pp units. If the argument is that it looks good on paper, well ok I still wouldn't agree but I wouldn't bother commenting on it either. In practice though, where it counts, the Devil's power play is inept and will now be slightly less inept. All we have added in the last few days is Shanny, a good thing for sure, but he hardly tips us onto the "elite 1-2 punch" as you put it.

Edited by squishyx