Shanahan wants to fit in with Devils

Rock

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/01...evils.html#more

"I played here and I know exactly how everybody feels about the Rangers, but again, like you earn the respect of your teammates, you earn the respect for your fans. I love the game and still doing it like I did 22 years ago. I still get up every morning and work out the creaks and the cracks and it shows in the way I play and in the way I prepare and I think that's what's in my control. Like I said with the players, you just play hard and things work themselves out.

"I didn't think back when I was a Devil 22 years ago that I would still be playing right now."

Shanahan just wants to blend in seamlessly with a team that has some pretty strong chemistry established already.

"I'm exited," he said. "I

Why didn't the jerk say "It wasn't like I was free agent looking to get away from a team like they had a scabies infestation" I hate him and it's got NOTHING to do with the Rangers - sure, I think he was happy to be a Rag primarily because he wanted to stick it to Jersey. He's an ass - to me that was a loaded response - he's defending his stance with the Rangers and basically IS aluding to the fact he YEARNED to get away from the Devils back in the day and is thankful he did.

Don't get me wrong, I too, AM thankful he got away. I just wish he'd stayed away. I HATE his quotes -- I HATE the crap he spews. He's so smarmy in such a gross matter-of-fact "nothing but the truth" way. His actions bespeak his feeling. His full-out vocal support of Avery -- it's just so clear how this a$$hole feels about the team and the organization. He wasn't being a chippy competitor supporting his team -- he was being a big jackass. I hate his hockey. i hate what he obviously thinks hockey is. He's dangerous because it seems like he loves the game -- but it's warped. he loves himself -- and he makes it all work out just over that line... I hate him. I just do....

Edited by Pepperkorn

Why didn't the jerk say "It wasn't like I was free agent looking to get away from a team like they had a scabies infestation" I hate him and it's got NOTHING to do with the Rangers - sure, I think he was happy to be a Rag primarily because he wanted to stick it to Jersey. He's an ass - to me that was a loaded response - he's defending his stance with the Rangers and basically IS aluding to the fact he YEARNED to get away from the Devils back in the day and is thankful he did.

Don't get me wrong, I too, AM thankful he got away. I just wish he'd stayed away. I HATE his quotes -- I HATE the crap he spews. He's so smarmy in such a gross matter-of-fact "nothing but the truth" way. His actions bespeak his feeling. His full-out vocal support of Avery -- it's just so clear how this a$$hole feels about the team and the organization. He wasn't being a chippy competitor supporting his team -- he was being a big jackass. I hate his hockey. i hate what he obviously thinks hockey is. He's dangerous because it seems like he loves the game -- but it's warped. he loves himself -- and he makes it all work out just over that line... I hate him. I just do....

You don't have to hold back...you're among friends here. Tell us all how you REALLY feel. :giggle:

I couldn't agree more! I'm glad I'm not the only one not looking forward to his return.

PK, I don't want him back, but, if he hadn't left for St. Louis in the first place, there would have been no compensation owing and, since they had no draft picks to give, no hearing and no Stevens.

you know... this is a good message to Gomez though :evil: I'm sure he heard all sorts of stuff from Holik and Shannahan and yet, when it comes to it - Devils is where you'll be - how you feel about it is moot - you're stuck in Jersey once you've created a role there. I guess that's the meaningful part of it all... :noclue:

Forgiving of what? I don't understand what he did that needs "forgiving". The guy was on the Devils 1000 years ago and BECAUSE HE LEFT we got the BEST PLAYER IN DEVILS HISTORY. Why is there a grudge? This isn't like Gomez directly abandoning us for New York. Shanahan played most of his career in Detroit and only left when they didn't want him anymore.

PK, I don't want him back, but, if he hadn't left for St. Louis in the first place, there would have been no compensation owing and, since they had no draft picks to give, no hearing and no Stevens.

I understand that - but it doesn't change how I feel. I can't be supportive of his sh!tty character regardless of the benefits reaped by all from it. It infuriates me even more when a poor character serves a positive purpose. I should chalk it up "the lights mysterious ways" and I could have -- but :noclue: I don't want that influence back on my favorite team.

and it's not a grudge <_<

Edited by Pepperkorn

Forgiving of what? I don't understand what he did that needs "forgiving". The guy was on the Devils 1000 years ago and BECAUSE HE LEFT we got the BEST PLAYER IN DEVILS HISTORY. Why is there a grudge? This isn't like Gomez directly abandoning us for New York. Shanahan played most of his career in Detroit and only left when they didn't want him anymore.

Agreed. A lot of us, because of either age or lack of awareness of the Devils/hockey in general, didn't become Devils fans until the Cup years. We're counting on those of you who have been around longer to fill us in on what exactly transpired aside from the main facts that everyone knows. All we've gotten so far is PK ranting about Shanahan wanting to leave. Well, no sh!t, it happens, players want to move on. If that's all, you're going to end up hating almost everybody. Hell, Scott Stevens didn't want to be here at first either. I don't see anyone bashing him.

So, to make a long story short, what exactly did Brendan say on his way out the door almost 18 years ago that should make all of us be so anti-Shanahan?

The grudge comes from him calling Devils fans the least knowledgeable in the league back when he was with the Whalers, I believe.

I honestly don't think 95% of people ranting about him realize that and I pretty much could care less about a throwaway line he said 15 years ago, just like I don't hold Gretzky's Mickey Mouse comment against him since it was 25 years ago.

It is mostly an anti-Ranger thing imo. That and the fact people are wary since he spent so much time waiting for a Ranger offer that his heart isn't really in it (a la Favre with the Jets or Tom Glavine with the Mets :P).

It's a legit concern but I think Lou's a bit smarter than the GM's of my other sports teams, so if he feels Shanny will have his heart in it, fine by me. And if Shanny starts to slip well he's making nothing so it's easy enough to scratch him - in theory. If anything I think it's a good sign that he took so little money.

His actions bespeak his feeling. His full-out vocal support of Avery -- it's just so clear how this a$$hole feels about the team and the organization. He wasn't being a chippy competitor supporting his team -- he was being a big jackass.

True or false...Avery had (by far) more positive impact for the Rangers than anywhere else he's been? Gotta give the guy credit for helping keep him in line enough.

I honestly don't think 95% of people ranting about him realize that and I pretty much could care less about a throwaway line he said 15 years ago, just like I don't hold Gretzky's Mickey Mouse comment against him since it was 25 years ago.

It is mostly an anti-Ranger thing imo. That and the fact people are wary since he spent so much time waiting for a Ranger offer that his heart isn't really in it (a la Favre with the Jets or Tom Glavine with the Mets :P).

It's a legit concern but I think Lou's a bit smarter than the GM's of my other sports teams, so if he feels Shanny will have his heart in it, fine by me. And if Shanny starts to slip well he's making nothing so it's easy enough to scratch him - in theory. If anything I think it's a good sign that he took so little money.

True or false...Avery had (by far) more positive impact for the Rangers than anywhere else he's been? Gotta give the guy credit for helping keep him in line enough.

I'm not wrapped in Shanahan's past either. He was in a unique position at the time he was a Group 1 FA and chose to take advantage of it, as did the Blues. Lou didn't want to pay him what he thought was big cash at the time. That happens.

As for whatever comments he made...he was a friggin' WHALER at the time. It's not like he pulled a Sean Burke and told Devils' fans to "go to hell."

If his heart isn't in this and he's even a little bit of a problem on or off the ice, Lou and Sutter will squelch this thing in a hurry. I don't really have any expectations good or bad for Shanahan...I have no idea what he's got left at this point. But as far as I'm concerned he's got a clean slate...hopefully he'll be able to contribute something.

Hey, to be honest Scott Stevens originally hated the idea of playing for the devils as well.

"Initially, Stevens refused to report to the Devils for training camp. The Devils were already worried, after captain Kirk Muller walked out of camp.[19] Stevens and his wife had made plans to settle in St. Louis, and Stevens wanted to end his career with the Blues.[18][19] In addition, Stevens was concerned about the apparent lack of unity in the organization, citing Muller's walkout as proof.[18] Several Devils players were upset over the feeling that Stevens was being forced upon the team; some players, including Ken Daneyko, wanted more money, while other players wanted general manager Lou Lamoriello to trade Stevens.[19] Stevens would eventually report to the Devils three weeks later."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Stevens

Edited by Halfwar

Hey, to be honest Scott Stevens originally hated playing for the devils as well.

"Initially, Stevens refused to report to the Devils for training camp. The Devils were already worried, after captain Kirk Muller walked out of camp.[19] Stevens and his wife had made plans to settle in St. Louis, and Stevens wanted to end his career with the Blues.[18][19] In addition, Stevens was concerned about the apparent lack of unity in the organization, citing Muller's walkout as proof.[18] Several Devils players were upset over the feeling that Stevens was being forced upon the team; some players, including Ken Daneyko, wanted more money, while other players wanted general manager Lou Lamoriello to trade Stevens.[19] Stevens would eventually report to the Devils three weeks later."

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Stevens

That gets forgotten. I remember first being very excited upon hearing that Stevens was awarded as compensation, then being very nervous as headline after headline in the NY Post detailed Stevens' anger and shock, and how he wanted no part of NJ. At the time I didn't think there was any chance in hell that he would ever play for the Devils. Apparently it was Stevens himself who had the sudden change of heart...I remember all of a sudden it was like poof, here he is, complaining over.

That was such a key moment in Devils' history. They were dangerously close to again becoming a complete joke, just like they were in KC and Colorado, and if Stevens had refused to come that would have undone all of the good the '87-'88 playoff run did for the franchise. They might not have recovered.

I don't remember any ill comments he made about the Devils, but that's not to say it didn't happen. All in all, his leaving was a big advantage. So all is forgotten. Hell, if Lou can forgive disagreements with players he's brought back (C.Lemieux, MacLean, Shanahan and others), then I can too.

It's all about the silver (for Lou), and for most players, it's about the green, then the silver. It seems we've been fortunate as Devil fans, we've had a lot of players, play for less green here, knowing the chances of winning silver were better here, than elsewhere. And for that, I will always bow to Marty, Patrik, etc.

There was nothing Stevens COULD do... except wait 5 years :giggle: as for after the 5 years were up I think he felt like he had to stick with the plan to go back to St Louis but was happy enough when all that fell through.

I dislike Shanahan. I find Claude just as amusing as all hell. I think Nieds is cool doing what he had to do and while I have my problems with him I'd love to have him back before he finally goes out to pasture -- I approve of Raflski leaving. I love having Holik back. It's personal. I do not like Shanahan. I think he's a bad person he accepts accountability enough -- but it's all off kilter just a touch - he's never a human a$$hole - naw, he's just some great guy who had permission to marry his teammates wife, always doing something distasteful all within the morally acceptable lines. I don't dislike him - I find him distasteful.

Edited by Pepperkorn