Greatest Devils Stanley Cup Team

RockingTheRed81

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As good as this team is, they still have a ways to go before I consider them on par with the 2001 team.

I agree MadDog.

The 2000 and 2001 SCF teams are better than this years team. Like you said, there is a way to go yet in this season and playoffs to even consider them in the same sentence as the 2000 and 2001 SCF team.

I agree MadDog.

The 2000 and 2001 SCF teams are better than this years team. Like you said, there is a way to go yet in this season and playoffs to even consider them in the same sentence as the 2000 and 2001 SCF team.

Indeed. The '01 team was not only deep up front, but the top 2 d-pairs were Stevens-Rafalski and Niedermayer-Daneyko. It was absolutely ri-donk-ulous how deep that team was on both sides of the puck. I doubt we'll ever have a team that good again, which is what makes the travesty of not winning the Cup that year such a shame. I don't think I will ever get past losing that year. It was totally unacceptable on every level.

Indeed. The '01 team was not only deep up front, but the top 2 d-pairs were Stevens-Rafalski and Niedermayer-Daneyko. It was absolutely ri-donk-ulous how deep that team was on both sides of the puck. I doubt we'll ever have a team that good again, which is what makes the travesty of not winning the Cup that year such a shame. I don't think I will ever get past losing that year. It was totally unacceptable on every level.

True that MadDog. Both years teams was heavily deep up front and the dmen parings were one of the best in the NHL IMO. The 2001 SCF Devils team and series will haunt me forever. Game 6 was very hard to watch @ CAA and then see it all fall apart in Game 7 was just a travesty like you said. I am with you on this when it comes to the 2001 SCF Devils team that I don't think I will ever get past either especially being there watching it all fall apart. :saddevil:

It could have put this Devils team in the record books far more than the 3 SC in 9 years.

True that MadDog. Both years teams was heavily deep up front and the dmen parings were one of the best in the NHL IMO. The 2001 SCF Devils team and series will haunt me forever. Game 6 was very hard to watch @ CAA and then see it all fall apart in Game 7 was just a travesty like you said. I am with you on this when it comes to the 2001 SCF Devils team that I don't think I will ever get past either especially being there watching it all fall apart. :saddevil:

It could have put this Devils team in the record books far more than the 3 SC in 9 years.

I was at game 6 as well, and it was the worst night I ever had in 22 years of attending games at the Meadowlands, bar none. I felt physically ill leaving the building that night. It literally made me sick.

I was at game 6 as well, and it was the worst night I ever had in 22 years of attending games at the Meadowlands, bar none. I felt physically ill leaving the building that night. It literally made me sick.

Yeah MD, it was a total nightmare and all the somber Devils fans leaving the CAA that night. It was real quiet after that Game 6. I was sick to my stomach to the point I was ready to puke in the bathroom, but did it at home. Just sick for days and Game 7 made it a lot worse.

Yeah MD, it was a total nightmare and all the somber Devils fans leaving the CAA that night. It was real quiet after that Game 6. I was sick to my stomach to the point I was ready to puke in the bathroom, but did it at home. Just sick for days and Game 7 made it a lot worse.

I punched a hole in my closet door after game 7 and went to bed. What a brutal night.

going to have to go with 2000 on this one. you've got 3 future HOFers in stevens, niedermayer, and brodeur, and 7 more players who've been all-stars in arnott, holik, sykora, elias, mogilny, gomez, and rafalski. throw in selke winner madden and selke finalist pandolfo.

1995 bulldozed through the playoffs but they get demerits because of the half-season and because of the ignominious way they bowed out next season.

...they get demerits because of the half-season

Half-a-Cup!

-=-=-=-=-

Depends on your definition of "great". Most talented? 2000 by a country mile. When was I most proud to be a Devils fan? 1995. It was so happy to see the smug sports columnist "expert" for the local paper predict that the Devils would lose each and every round only to see him backtrack after each series..... his son was on my brothers hockey team so we would rib the guy mercilessly.

Talent wise, the 2000 team was the best of the three. But 1995 was the definition of what a TEAM should be. The 2003 squad embodied that as well, but '95 moreso because of the fact that we were such huge underdogs to a much more talented Detroit team and shocked the world.

agreed

going to have to go with 2000 on this one. you've got 3 future HOFers in stevens, niedermayer, and brodeur, and 7 more players who've been all-stars in arnott, holik, sykora, elias, mogilny, gomez, and rafalski. throw in selke winner madden and selke finalist pandolfo.

1995 bulldozed through the playoffs but they get demerits because of the half-season and because of the ignominious way they bowed out next season.

Tri, correct me if I'm wrong, but you weren't watching the Devils back in '95, right? You might have a different take on it if you did.

In terms of talent, yeah, the 2000 team wins. I think the 2001 team was even better, but there's a whole lot of reasons why they failed to get it done that have been detailed in these forums numerous times. As much as I love Marty, just look at the goals he gave up in Game 7 of the '01 SCF and you can see how his game had really become a mess at that point.

In terms of the "Holy sh!t!" factor, it was by far and away the '95 team...they way they raised their level of play come playoff time, the way it all just jelled from game #1 of the Boston series, racking up a 16-4 record despite having to play all four series on the road. They were a strange team in that they were so ordinary during the regular season (Claude Lemieux perfectly symbolized the difference between the '95 regular season team and playoff team)...they had to go on a run just to make the playoffs, although they did so as a respectable #5 seed. I'm not docking them any points for the shorter season...they faced a terrific Detroit team that had lost just two games throughout the WC playoffs and smoked them.

I also don't knock them for '95-'96. I know there's something to be said for defending the Cup, but having watched every single one of those playoff games and having been in the building for the last two rounds I just can't knock that team for '96, although they had no business losing at home to the Senators 5-2 in the last game of the '95-'96 season. Had they won they would have at least made the playoffs.

Tri, correct me if I'm wrong, but you weren't watching the Devils back in '95, right? You might have a different take on it if you did.

I was, it was my first full year watching the team.

In terms of talent, yeah, the 2000 team wins. I think the 2001 team was even better, but there's a whole lot of reasons why they failed to get it done that have been detailed in these forums numerous times. As much as I love Marty, just look at the goals he gave up in Game 7 of the '01 SCF and you can see how his game had really become a mess at that point.

I think the 2001 team was more cohesive, certainly, but 2000's team had claude lemieux and vladimir malakhov - their ostensible replacements were turner stevenson and sean o'donnell.

In terms of the "Holy sh!t!" factor, it was by far and away the '95 team...they way they raised their level of play come playoff time, the way it all just jelled from game #1 of the Boston series, racking up a 16-4 record despite having to play all four series on the road. They were a strange team in that they were so ordinary during the regular season (Claude Lemieux perfectly symbolized the difference between the '95 regular season team and playoff team)...they had to go on a run just to make the playoffs, although they did so as a respectable #5 seed. I'm not docking them any points for the shorter season...they faced a terrific Detroit team that had lost just two games throughout the WC playoffs and smoked them.

I also don't knock them for '95-'96. I know there's something to be said for defending the Cup, but having watched every single one of those playoff games and having been in the building for the last two rounds I just can't knock that team for '96, although they had no business losing at home to the Senators 5-2 in the last game of the '95-'96 season. Had they won they would have at least made the playoffs.

1995 was a weird year. I don't think the '95 was that great a team - and it showed in 95-96. you had 4 lines and a solid defense, but no one star player and a lot of the players were on the unhappy side of 30 (maclean, broten, carpenter). they just rolled over people with strategy and timely scoring. 1996's finalist, the florida panthers, basically did the same thing - load up some vets, trap the hell out of people, profit. it's amazing that that star-studded pittsburgh team lost to both new jersey and florida in consecutive years.

also, correction, had the devils won that game against the senators, they would not have clinched - tampa would have clinched with a win or tie against philadelphia on the last day of the season. thing was, since philadelphia was tampa's first round matchup, one can imagine a scenario where philly dogs it so tampa gets in.

Each team was different. and each one was the best for different reasons.

1995 mainly Defensive team.

2000 mainly Offensive team.

2003 I would say little of both, the most balanced offensive and defensive team. IMO.

Why are we talking about 2001???..... 1994 and 2001 are ERASED memories to me!!!! Worst years in hockey.

I punched a hole in my closet door after game 7 and went to bed. What a brutal night.

I broke the back of the chair in front of me in the CAA..... It was broke for 5 years after that.

I was, it was my first full year watching the team.

I wasn't sure...I know you've admitted to your memory being sketchy on the past...just wasn't sure which year that was.

I think the 2001 team was more cohesive, certainly, but 2000's team had claude lemieux and vladimir malakhov - their ostensible replacements were turner stevenson and sean o'donnell.

Brodeur isn't solely to blame, but he put up a .897 save% for the '00-'01 playoffs, and it was even lower during the finals. But like you point out with your factors, there were enough small things that added up to just enough for the Devils not to repeat in 2001.

1995 was a weird year. I don't think the '95 was that great a team - and it showed in 95-96. you had 4 lines and a solid defense, but no one star player and a lot of the players were on the unhappy side of 30 (maclean, broten, carpenter). they just rolled over people with strategy and timely scoring. 1996's finalist, the florida panthers, basically did the same thing - load up some vets, trap the hell out of people, profit. it's amazing that that star-studded pittsburgh team lost to both new jersey and florida in consecutive years.

also, correction, had the devils won that game against the senators, they would not have clinched - tampa would have clinched with a win or tie against philadelphia on the last day of the season. thing was, since philadelphia was tampa's first round matchup, one can imagine a scenario where philly dogs it so tampa gets in.

I was visiting my girlfriend (at the time) up in Colgate, trying to pick up the game on the radio (it was an afternoon game I believe). Through the static I remember hearing "5-2", thinking that the Devils couldn't possibly have lost, then something along the lines of "the Devils absolutely stunned", then thinking "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" then finally hearing enough to know that the Devils had indeed lost. My girlfriend, who was just starting to get into hockey because of me, was almost as bummed as I was.

My friend Jeff is a Flyer fan, and I remember him saying, "C'mon man, we took care of business for you!", with Philly beating Tampa. I'll be honest, I forgot which came first (probably blocked it out).

To me, the 2000 team was the best, but my favorite will always be the 95 team. I can still see Lemiuex holding the Conn Smyth throphy with tears in his eyes.

They each mean something special to me as a fan.

I was at both home Cup Clinchers. That was special.

I was not in attendence for Game 6 in either '00 or '01 when they could have won it.

But after the '03 win, I was able to meet and greet the Stanley Cup at a local police department with about 20 other people. (Ranger and Flyer fans no less)

What was weird about the whole '95 regular season - '95 playoff run - '95-'96 regular season sequence: The '95 playoff team suddenly, just like that, started playing like the '93-'94 team. That '93-'94 team is the best Devils team not to have any kind of banner in the rafters. They could score (306 GF) and defend (220 GA) (both numbers were good for second overall), they had the best goal differential (+86), and the second best point total (106)...unfortunately they could beat everyone in the league except for the Rangers (0-6 reg season, 3-4 in the playoffs). The '95 playoff team dominated much like the '93-'94 team did.

What helped kill the '95-'96 team was Richer suddenly disappearing (he had a terrible year), Broten staying (he never wanted any part of NJ...the Devils would have been better off trading him away after his magical '95 run and saying "Thanks"), and just a general malaise that Lou wasn't able to change despite making some solid deals...even though Andreychuk and Housley didn't play badly once they came to NJ, they just couldn't get the Devils going.

What was weird about the whole '95 regular season - '95 playoff run - '95-'96 regular season sequence: The '95 playoff team suddenly, just like that, started playing like the '93-'94 team. That '93-'94 team is the best Devils team not to have any kind of banner in the rafters. They could score (306 GF) and defend (220 GA) (both numbers were good for second overall), they had the best goal differential (+86), and the second best point total (106)...unfortunately they could beat everyone in the league except for the Rangers (0-6 reg season, 3-4 in the playoffs). The '95 playoff team dominated much like the '93-'94 team did.

What helped kill the '95-'96 team was Richer suddenly disappearing (he had a terrible year), Broten staying (he never wanted any part of NJ...the Devils would have been better off trading him away after his magical '95 run and saying "Thanks"), and just a general malaise that Lou wasn't able to change despite making some solid deals...even though Andreychuk and Housley didn't play badly once they came to NJ, they just couldn't get the Devils going.

Richer obviously had a terrible year and later chalked that up to depression. The real problem was - who are the centers? Where were the centers on the 96 team? You had Broten who was just terrible that year and was finished, career-wise (trading him? c'mon now, who cares if a guy 'hates it here' - broten was simply washed up, it's amazing how good he was during that stretch run/playoffs and how bad he was afterwards for every team), you had Holik still languishing on the Crash Line, you had Bobby Carpenter who was merely a defensive standout at this point (I'm not sure he ever got below the opponent's faceoff dot), and some amalgam of Jim Dowd/Denis Pederson/Petr Sykora/Sergei Brylin - the former two became 4th line grinders, the latter two were never successful centers in the NHL - sykora started off hot but cooled off tremendously to the point where new jersey had to scratch him for general soreness, IIRC - he wasn't physically ready to play 82 NHL games yet.

The team was strong at the wing and terrible at center - and that's why Lou had to go out and get Doug Gilmour the next season.

You had Broten who was just terrible that year and was finished, career-wise (trading him? c'mon now, who cares if a guy 'hates it here' - broten was simply washed up, it's amazing how good he was during that stretch run/playoffs and how bad he was afterwards for every team)

I remember being at a Devils fan club meeting in '96, where Broten was one of the special guests. He was also bombed. Strange night...

Richer obviously had a terrible year and later chalked that up to depression. The real problem was - who are the centers? Where were the centers on the 96 team? You had Broten who was just terrible that year and was finished, career-wise (trading him? c'mon now, who cares if a guy 'hates it here' - broten was simply washed up, it's amazing how good he was during that stretch run/playoffs and how bad he was afterwards for every team), you had Holik still languishing on the Crash Line, you had Bobby Carpenter who was merely a defensive standout at this point (I'm not sure he ever got below the opponent's faceoff dot), and some amalgam of Jim Dowd/Denis Pederson/Petr Sykora/Sergei Brylin - the former two became 4th line grinders, the latter two were never successful centers in the NHL - sykora started off hot but cooled off tremendously to the point where new jersey had to scratch him for general soreness, IIRC - he wasn't physically ready to play 82 NHL games yet.

The team was strong at the wing and terrible at center - and that's why Lou had to go out and get Doug Gilmour the next season.

Specifically, the team was strong at right wing. Thomas, Guerin, and MacLean were pretty good, though MacLean's year was not great by his standards. Zelepukin was yet another Devil who really faded big time.

Broten basically let it be known that he didn't want to come to NJ from day 1, despite playing so well in '95. I think Lou and Co. were hoping playing for a Cup winner would mollify him, but he was a complete malcontent in '96 (the fact that a guy who had been so important and helpful during the Cup run was so damn miserable the following year couldn't have been a good thing for team morale)...by the '96-'97 season Lemaire had had enough and basically told him to get lost until they could get rid of him. He actually finished up pretty well in a short stint in Dallas (20 GP, 8 G, 7 A) after another short stint in LA. I have a book about the '80 Olympic team, and in the section about Broten he's STILL pissed at the Devils for some reason. If I remember to do it I'll post his quotes, but I remember reading it and thinking "What are you so fvcking bitter about? You got to play for a Stanley Cup Winner!"

Yeah, Sykora was producing at about a PPG pace over his first 40 games or so, then simply wore out. Holik harped enough about not being allowed to be an offensive force that the Devils gave him a shot. Unfortunately Holik could never match his regular-season offensive performance come playoff time.

Here's one article on Broten being a PITA (first few paragraphs tell the story):

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports...r_devs__te.html

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

ugh we just turned a thread about stanley cup winners into a thread about 1995-96. sorry, everyone. i do want to comment further on what you said, 1976, but it's getting off course now.

re: 1995 - i definitely remember that producer of pablum Mitch Albom making a lot of lame anti-New Jersey jokes that were re-printed in the Record (people from Detroit taking shots at New Jersey - that's rich), and I think even the Fox robots picked Detroit over New Jersey in the Finals - I recall long serenades for Mark Howe by Melrose and Milbury, who were the studio guys at the time. Never did get that Cup, eh Mark?

Edited by Triumph

ugh we just turned a thread about stanley cup winners into a thread about 1995-96. sorry, everyone. i do want to comment further on what you said, 1976, but it's getting off course now.

re: 1995 - i definitely remember that producer of pablum Mitch Albom making a lot of lame anti-New Jersey jokes that were re-printed in the Record (people from Detroit taking shots at New Jersey - that's rich), and I think even the Fox robots picked Detroit over New Jersey in the Finals - I recall long serenades for Mark Howe by Melrose and Milbury, who were the studio guys at the time. Never did get that Cup, eh Mark?

Z100 was playing a lame song parody of Pearl Jam's "Can't Find a Better Man"...it was "I'm a Nashville Devils Fan".

And of course two classic signs on that possibility:

"Nashville already has enough people without teeth!"

"Hey McMullen, don't be a Nash-hole...keep the Devils in NJ!" (This guy was in my section...his sign was taken away. Cue lots of booing, me included.)