Don't Mess With Lou

devilsrule33

A few good stories I thought I would share courtesy of Pierre McGuire yesterday...and no matter what you think of him...he is locked in with pretty much everyone in hockey and has picked up a ton of interesting stories along the way.

The Ottawa radio guys were joking how much they hate Jersey because they have lost so many key defensemen, and now Brodeur...etc...and yet continue to be a top team. Pierre was explaining why to them, and after discussing the usual things of drafting and scouting, he started talking about Lou's no nonsense way of business. And finally we get to the stories...

1) Apparently on a charter plane, he went up to a player (Pierre did not want to give the player's name) grabbed him and threw him off the plane because he wasn't dressed properly (when the player knew what the dress code was) and told him you aren't playing here, and to take a commercial flight home.

2) This was a great one involving Scott Gomez. After they won their Stanley Cup in 2000 (so we are talking about his rookie season) they were taking a team picture, and as you may or may not know (I didn't) Lou has a rule that their can't be any jewellery or 'bling' in any team photo. Gomez tried to test this, by wearing a soldered-on gold chain, thinking that when Lou sees this right before the picture, he won't be able to do anything. Lou stops at Gomez and says something along the lines of "think you are getting away with this." He then yells for the trainer to get a bolt cutter, and he cuts the thing off right there.

Maybe you've heard them, maybe you haven't...but thought I'd share anyway.

Edited by devilsrule33

I'd like to know who was the player that got thrown off the plane. I have a funny feeling it was Esa Tikkanen

The Gomez story sounds a little funny. I mean what right does Lou have to destroy people's property like that. I can see him having the chain airbrushed out but not cutting it.

I'd like to know who was the player that got thrown off the plane. I have a funny feeling it was Esa Tikkanen

The Gomez story sounds a little funny. I mean what right does Lou have to destroy people's property like that. I can see him having the chain airbrushed out but not cutting it.

Or just asking him to take it off :lol:

Wow thats crazy. I know that the players are not aloud in or out of the building without a suit on. And i think that everybody know about the rule no facial hair during the regular season.

i hear it carries over to the office as well - manually signs every check himself - payroll and payables, no individual emails, no individual internet access, no personal effects, pictures etc allowed on any desk, wall, cubicle whatever.

It's just all business and he's on top of EVERYTHING

My money is on Deron Quint. :P

i hear it carries over to the office as well - manually signs every check himself - payroll and payables, no individual emails, no individual internet access, no personal effects, pictures etc allowed on any desk, wall, cubicle whatever.

It's just all business and he's on top of EVERYTHING

Wait wait wait... no Facebook Scrabble, then?

I thought the story with him was he showed up hung over to practice and talked back to the coaches? Or at least that was the rumor I heard a little after the fact.

That has gone around, but I think that was all talk with not much behind it. Nothing from the Devils end ever comes out. There is no such thing as team "sources" from the Devils.

I was thinking Quint, but would Lou get rid of a guy because of that so quickly? Whatever he did, he must of really done something to piss Lou off to be gone so soon.

The man takes everything to the extreme.

Do you remember last year during the playoffs vs. the Rags? There wasn't a Rangers logo anywhere in the building. The screens in the suites had the Devils logo VS. blank... and the scoreboard said 'New York" not "Rangers" as it usually does. I heard that he made the guys who run the game scramble at the last minute to change everything.

There was also a rumor that he banned the players from having lettuce and tomato on their sandwiches after a food fight. Not only does he limit what they wear, how they wear their hair (and facial hair), he also controls what they eat. Yet, somehow the players keep coming back. I don't get it.

it was a prank. Gomez was going to have to destroy his own property to take it off

Edited by maxpower

and FWIW, I would never be able to work with him in the office environment. although I hear he's softened alot and I wouldn't be surprised how many of the stories are old-schools. you see alot of media types who absolutely despised him (like Fat Mike, for example), who absolutely adore him now.

Wow, I'm dying to know who that was. I would suspect it was Tikkanen as well. I was young at the time, but I remember thinking that it was odd that Lou would trade for a well known player like him, and then trade him again after only 9 games. I've always wanted to know that story. I'm guessing he had a poor attitude considering he never stayed anywhere very long at that point of his career.

Wow, I'm dying to know who that was. I would suspect it was Tikkanen as well. I was young at the time, but I remember thinking that it was odd that Lou would trade for a well known player like him, and then trade him again after only 9 games. I've always wanted to know that story. I'm guessing he had a poor attitude considering he never stayed anywhere very long at that point of his career.

He basically wanted no part of New Jersey...Lou quickly made note of that (he already had one malcontent on the team in Neal Broten, and in general the '95-'96 team was an unhappy bunch) and got him out of town. Amazingly he gave a up a 3rd-round draft pick to bring him in and got a 2nd-rounder to ship him out. At that point Tikkanen was also basically taking regular seasons off and only giving effort in the playoffs.

Re: Quint, I've always wondered exactly what happened with that one. Guess we'll never really know, outside of the rumors.

EDIT: I remembered that Tik did pretty well once he went to Vancouver...I didn't realize how well until I looked it up. In 9 GP with the Devils he managed two assists. With Vancouver he put up 14 goals and 23 assists in 38 GP. What does that tell you?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Good write-up on Quint from 2007...he basically admits that it was Lou that got him to straighten himself out (apparently he had drinking issues):

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articl...ing_experience/