Devils 334 Club?

BlizzardCyclone

Saw this posted on the Devils website:

334club_sm.jpg

Jan. 22, 1987

A blizzard in the Northeast creates the "334 Club." The Devils beat Calgary 7-5 at the Meadowlands before 334 fans, who braved 15 inches of snow to see Jersey's Team. The game was delayed 106 minutes as only 13 Devils players arrive by game time. The contest would end at 11:44 p.m.

LoL This is soemthing I could see that bald guy on MSG who films the "Greatest Days" commercials do lol

Anyone have this game on tape? Id love to see this...

Edited by BlizzardCyclone

I hate that guy, I thought he was cool when he did the Devils one, but then I saw all the other ones and realized he is just as phony as those Premio radio commercials.

I like him when he talks about the Devils.

I hate him when he talks about the Rangers.

• 4 weeks later...

I was at the game. It was a day I think I'll always remember. The day started with lots of excitement for me because my father and I were flying out of Newark Airport at 2 or 3 on our way to see the Giants and Denver play in the Super Bowl. In the era before the weather channel, we had no idea what was about to happen. The day started overcast, with flurries starting about 9:30- 10 am. I think we left home about 11, for our usually 20 to 25 minute ride to Newark Airport. The snow came so hard and fast it caught everyone by surprise. By the time we got to the toll at 15W the snow was almost at blizzard conditions. We made it as far as the toll at Newark Airport and sat there for ever. Then the planes stopped flying overhead. Total Silence. Airport closed, Flight canceled. I remember making it home about 5 o'clock, thank God we had front wheel drive or else we would have been sleeping at the Airport. By 6 - 6:30 that night the snow was over . Eighteen inches in less than seven hours. While watching the sports report during the six o'clock news , it was mentioned that the Devils were playing despite the snow. I turned and looked at my father and before I could say anything he said "YOUR NUTS". Heading down River Road in North Arlington wasn't bad by now, got to RT 3 and couldn't believe it. There had to have been 200 abandon cars on the 3 mile stretch to the Meadowlands. Rt 3 was like a slot car track, it was a one path track weaving around all the cars , going from the right, center, right, center ,left , center, it was crazy. Once I got to the complex the roads were all plowed. Pulled my car right up to the side of the building and parked. The walk way to the ticket office wasn't plowed yet so I walked up to the doors to ask about getting in and nobody was there, I just walked right in. They had us sit on one side, (behind the benches ) there was one stand open for food. I think the game started about 8:45, and it was like going to a high school game. You could hear the players talking on the ice, the puck hitting the sticks. I remember someone coming around with a yellow note pad between periods asking me to write down my name and address. Devils won. On the way home you could see an army of tow trucks pulling all the abandon cars off RT 3 and towing them to the parking lots on the other side of Giants Stadium. That's about everything I can remember.

I had tickets and my Mom's really bad station wagon.

I was 18 and was going to take my 14yr old brother.

The storm was BAD BAD BAD so I did not go.

For years I was pissed about it, until today.

After reading Lou's story above I now realize I would have never made it.

Was a funny game to watch on TV too.

I was at the game. ... I just walked right in. They had us sit on one side, (behind the benches ) there was one stand open for food. I think the game started about 8:45, and it was like going to a high school game. You could hear the players talking on the ice, the puck hitting the sticks. I remember someone coming around with a yellow note pad between periods asking me to write down my name and address....

Thanks for joining to share that. :koolaid:

Stick around and know us better man! :cheers:

I wish I could've been there. I ALMOST had my DL, and was actually plowing/shoveling an apartment complex that day/night. I remember that's the day I crashed the tractor into a tree screwing around in the snow. :unsure:

back to the actual 334 club. I'm not a member because i wasn't born yet but my dad was at that game. hes still got the ticket stub.

GOOD! Mounted?

I was at the game. It was a day I think I'll always remember. The day started with lots of excitement for me because my father and I were flying out of Newark Airport at 2 or 3 on our way to see the Giants and Denver play in the Super Bowl. In the era before the weather channel, we had no idea what was about to happen. The day started overcast, with flurries starting about 9:30- 10 am. I think we left home about 11, for our usually 20 to 25 minute ride to Newark Airport. The snow came so hard and fast it caught everyone by surprise. By the time we got to the toll at 15W the snow was almost at blizzard conditions. We made it as far as the toll at Newark Airport and sat there for ever. Then the planes stopped flying overhead. Total Silence. Airport closed, Flight canceled. I remember making it home about 5 o'clock, thank God we had front wheel drive or else we would have been sleeping at the Airport. By 6 - 6:30 that night the snow was over . Eighteen inches in less than seven hours. While watching the sports report during the six o'clock news , it was mentioned that the Devils were playing despite the snow. I turned and looked at my father and before I could say anything he said "YOUR NUTS". Heading down River Road in North Arlington wasn't bad by now, got to RT 3 and couldn't believe it. There had to have been 200 abandon cars on the 3 mile stretch to the Meadowlands. Rt 3 was like a slot car track, it was a one path track weaving around all the cars , going from the right, center, right, center ,left , center, it was crazy. Once I got to the complex the roads were all plowed. Pulled my car right up to the side of the building and parked. The walk way to the ticket office wasn't plowed yet so I walked up to the doors to ask about getting in and nobody was there, I just walked right in. They had us sit on one side, (behind the benches ) there was one stand open for food. I think the game started about 8:45, and it was like going to a high school game. You could hear the players talking on the ice, the puck hitting the sticks. I remember someone coming around with a yellow note pad between periods asking me to write down my name and address. Devils won. On the way home you could see an army of tow trucks pulling all the abandon cars off RT 3 and towing them to the parking lots on the other side of Giants Stadium. That's about everything I can remember.

Someone should make your story into a movie... I think Disney would definitely give you a shot! haha

I was at the game. It was a day I think I'll always remember. The day started with lots of excitement for me because my father and I were flying out of Newark Airport at 2 or 3 on our way to see the Giants and Denver play in the Super Bowl. In the era before the weather channel, we had no idea what was about to happen. The day started overcast, with flurries starting about 9:30- 10 am. I think we left home about 11, for our usually 20 to 25 minute ride to Newark Airport. The snow came so hard and fast it caught everyone by surprise. By the time we got to the toll at 15W the snow was almost at blizzard conditions. We made it as far as the toll at Newark Airport and sat there for ever. Then the planes stopped flying overhead. Total Silence. Airport closed, Flight canceled.

Did you ever make it to the Super Bowl?

I always wondering if they let the fans just sit where ever they wanted or if they still made the people with the cheap tickets stay up top. Good to see they let everyone down low