Devils prep for Marty's return

Rock

With Clemmer being a UFA after this season, and now that he's been "showcased" I think he has a shot at a contract with another team next season as a #1. Why would he be content to sit behind Marty now? Weekes on the other hand may be happy being the back-up next season. He did have his day in the sun.

With Clemmer being a UFA after this season, and now that he's been "showcased" I think he has a shot at a contract with another team next season as a #1. Why would he be content to sit behind Marty now? Weekes on the other hand may be happy being the back-up next season. He did have his day in the sun.

Unless Clemmensen wants an $800,000 contract, I can't see him being back. Weekes is still a good backup to have next season, so hopefully they don't just waive him, even though he could theoretically sign with the team in the off-season.

I think he should play a game in the minors, like Roger Clemens did, Jeter did too right?...but I don't see it happening. Marty could play half games up with the NJ Devils depending on the standings. However looking at the Lowell schedule, barely any home games during the target come back.

I think he should play a game in the minors, like Roger Clemens did, Jeter did too right?...but I don't see it happening. Marty could play half games up with the NJ Devils depending on the standings. However looking at the Lowell schedule, barely any home games during the target come back.

Albany and Philly (among other places) are closer.

Unless Clemmensen wants an $800,000 contract, I can't see him being back. Weekes is still a good backup to have next season, so hopefully they don't just waive him, even though he could theoretically sign with the team in the off-season.

Look at Conklin, only got 750k. I don't think the market for Clemmy is very large.

Look at Conklin, only got 750k. I don't think the market for Clemmy is very large.

And that teams that do need a goalie and Clemmer might be a starter are all rebuilding teams, who is going to want to take a chance on a late blooming 32 year old who had one set of 30-40 quality games to show for his career? I can't see him getting a big contract.

i don't understand why no one wants clemmensen back. What if this happens again?

What difference does it make really? Marty will be back to starting almost the entire next season. Even if Clemmy stayed and Marty got hurt again is Clemmy likely to be much better than any other backup goalie the Devils might have? No, not likely. I could take almost any backup goalie in the league and say "What if he plays above his head, gets some luck, and has a team play phenomenal defense and really good offense in front of him?", all the backups are good under that what if scenario.

It's not that people would be upset if Clemmy was the backup next year, I think, it's just that some people, like me, are very indifferent to it as we don't notice a huge difference in level of play between him and Weekes. One is six and the other is half dozen.

As silly as it sounds, I don't think that Marty will play a game in Lowell because Lou will refuse to have Brodeur wear a minor league logo on his chest.

Why not?

Do you think he magically landed in the NHL back in 1994 (yes 92 technically but he went back to never never land soon after it seems :P) ??

Alright, unless Clemmer wants $800,000 to backup Marty 72 games, I can't see him coming back.

Any other job in the league is a step up in the games played department. Maybe the Isles would take a look at him, or St Louis. Chicagomight need a new backup soon. If Patty Lalime still has a gig, he can find something. Maybe, the money won't be there, but the chance to get some time will be.

I would be surprised though if many teams were interested.

And that teams that do need a goalie and Clemmer might be a starter are all rebuilding teams, who is going to want to take a chance on a late blooming 32 year old who had one set of 30-40 quality games to show for his career? I can't see him getting a big contract.

considering the success of Tim Thomas, a fellow late bloomer, I dont think it's that wild to think someone, most likely a team with out a solid number 1, will take a shot at him.

considering the success of Tim Thomas, a fellow late bloomer, I dont think it's that wild to think someone, most likely a team with out a solid number 1, will take a shot at him.

Tim Thomas makes 1.1m, sure some team would take a chance on Clemmer for that price, that wasn't really what I was talking about though when I said "big contract". Thomas is an UFA and what the Bruins give him (or some other team) could be a ballpark for Clemmer, but Thomas has 3 full years behind him, Clemmer really only has one.

they should keep weekes just to maintain the team chemistry...

hell even if he just sits with pando and leach in the stands i think it is wise to have the extra goalie...a torn biceps is some scary stuff, whose telling what could happen, especially if Marty tweaks it and winds up back on the shelf.

Edited by ice dog