Official 2009 NFL Off-season Thread

K, if it's offseason, throw it in here. Last year I got sh!t because I did it a few weeks before the SB, so this year I waited.

Here's what I want my boys to do...

1. If you're not going to fire Wade, PLEASE have someone either on that staff or in that room take accountability. Have Staubach and Aikman teach Romo how to be the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys; and hire a hitman for Jessica Simpson (...or give her to me. I'll take her). Tell selected players (Crayfish, Ellis, RW "Mr. Detroit Practices Harder", and Newman to just shut up and play. Any infractions will be met by extra laps and fines. I did not mention T.O. because i believe in Parcells/Jimma's philosophy that some playeres you just treat differently. However, T.O. should know that he will be quickly dealt with (or dealt away) if he crosses the line.

2. Jerry, become a fvcking owner of this team. Send word to the players and coaches that you are either 100% behind this team or you are going to lose money. No player or coach would be allowed a reality show, a radio show, or a TV spot. No regular interviews where things get comfortable and tongues get loose. Media interviews are limited time and at no time can you throw a teammate or coach under the bus without a fine. When I say problems will be handled "In House" that is exactly what I would mean and there would be no excuses. Coaches would be fined for bad game plans and execution. Crap rolls downhill. Fines start at the top. Once Camps start there would be no starters until they earn it. You earn your spot. Nothing is handed to you. If the other guy outworks you and you have more talent, prove it and take your job back. There is value coming off the bench too.

3. Player-wise... I would try to get Zach Thomas to come back, but I would use Carpenter and Burnett more even if he did. With Barbie Carpenter, I want you to either play his ass, or cut his ass. Trade Henry. Miami looks to be a good fit for him... do it. I'm perfectly fine with Newman-Jenkins-Scandrick-(Rookie, FA, or Trae Battle). Frees up cap space to accoplish what I'll say in #4.

4. Package picks and get your asses back int he first round. We have a 2nd, THREE 3rd's, 2 4ths, and 2 6th's. You can get back into the late-first with that. Plugging the gaping hole at LG would be priority 1. I don't care if it is Holland, Kosier or a draft pick. That spot killed our season. Simple as that.

5. FA-wise...

QB Position

Release Brad Johnson and do not re-sign Brooks Bollinger. Look for a 3rd developmental QB in the lower rounds of the draft. My free agent targets would be Chris Simms or Kyle Boller. If the 49ers cut Alex Smith he goes to the top of the list. I like these guys because they are still young (something to prove) and they have starting experience.

Offensive Line

Do not even attempt to re-sign Cory Proctor or Joe Berger. A guy I would take a chance on is Elton Brown from Arizona. He is 6'5", 332, and only 26. He has started at guard and tackle for the Cardinals but isn't starting now. The last time we signed a big ol lineman from Arizona that worked out okay.

Defensive Line

Chris Canty is going to be too expensive and Tank Johnson is no longer welcome. Replace them with Shaun Cody (Age 26 -6'4"/310) and Colin Cole (Age 28 -6'1"/328). Cole is a workman type NT and Cody was a big play college player.

Linebacker

IF WE CAN'T SIGN ZACH: Before we just hand the job to Bobby Carpenter (who I'll root for but just don't believe in) why not bring in someone like Dontarrious Thomas (Age 28 - 6'2"/241) to compete with Carpenter and at the least, provide depth.

Safety

With their cap hits and lack of production, I can't see both Roy Williams AND Anthony Henry being on the 2009 roster. Cutting either one frees up immediate cap room. I would consider going after one of the following Restricted Free Agents: Jarrad Page (Kansas City) or Dawan Landry(Baltimore). Of course, it all depends what kind of tender they are given by their current team. If Baltimore lets Unrestricted Free Agent Jim Leonhard hit the open market he would be my very first signing.

No star players. If we were to sign a few quality free agents we would be able to go into the draft with almost no holes. We could draft Best Player Available (Arizona's philosophy) at every pick and/or trade to stockpile picks for 2010.

That's my long write-up on how to change the Cowboys... you tell me what I did wrong- but if we can do this, our year next year CAN be better.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009: The last season that the NFL will be the way it is.

2010: The uncapped NFL era begins.

RIP small markets.

If the NFL Goes without salary cap, I wouldn't even dare to watch it anymore, teams like Boys, Pats ect, would spend so much money,

I hope Goodell does a new convention with a salary cap, and to work on the rookies contracts.

On a side note,

I want the Steelers to Draft 3lineman (G/T/C or 2 G and T with one cb.) Re-sign McFadden, Wait for next year with Sweed and Mendenhall finally getting in , Timmons gets his starting spot cause Foote will prolly be gone for next year (In an article, he wants to play with the Lions..) and an improved O-line, with the very same Coaching staff..

Along with that, one of the easiest schedule in the whole NFL. I can't ask no more. :)

2009: The last season that the NFL will be the way it is.

2010: The uncapped NFL era begins.

RIP small markets.

I'm pretty confused, you hate the fact that there's so much parity in the NFL and now you hate that there might not be after 2010?

btw you have to say parity's a reason the quality of Super Bowls has gotten MUCH better over the last decade or so. Every game used to be a blowout, now most are actually pretty close.

I'm pretty confused, you hate the fact that there's so much parity in the NFL and now you hate that there might not be after 2010?

btw you have to say parity's a reason the quality of Super Bowls has gotten MUCH better over the last decade or so. Every game used to be a blowout, now most are actually pretty close.

Its hard for a fan of a team in the biggest market to relate

Its hard for a fan of a team in the biggest market to relate

Meaning what...I was just asking for a clarification, I'm actually in favor of the luxury tax, salary cap, etc. I'd rather see the smartest management teams win as opposed to the ones who spend the most. Do you hate parity or big market $pending?

And you're a Yankee$ fan still, right? Don't tell me I can't relate when you root for the biggest market team in all of sports :P

Edited by Hasan4978
Meaning what...I was just asking for a clarification, I'm actually in favor of the luxury tax, salary cap, etc. I'd rather see the smartest management teams win as opposed to the ones who spend the most. Do you hate parity or big market $pending?

And you're a Yankee$ fan still, right? Talk about big markets :P

Never said I liked the idea....

Just like RIP for certain teams in MLB, it will be for the NFL, the supposed league that was God like and above all those kinds of i$$ue$.

POLICE: FORMER COWBOYS RECEIVER TERRY GLENN ARRESTED

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=265932

PATRIOTS PLACE FRANCHISE TAG ON QB CASSEL

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=265942

Ex-player, coach Reeves won't return to Cowboys after talks stall

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

The Cardinals announced a statistical change Thursday, giving defensive tackle Darnell Dockett a share of a Super Bowl record.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/05/stat-chang...er-bowl-record/

Reports: Chiefs to hire Haley as head coach

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11346066

Wow, the Patriots really think Brady's NOT coming back next year :blink:

(serves the guy right in my keeper league who signed Brady as a dick move when I panicked and cut him :P)

Wow, the Patriots really think Brady's NOT coming back next year :blink:

Not really; they're just being smart. Cassel WILL go somewhere; Patriots tell him to negotiate like he's a FA, when it looks like they've found a match they demand a first-and-third round pick- and they just benefitted. Addition without any subtraction.

Not really; they're just being smart. Cassel WILL go somewhere; Patriots tell him to negotiate like he's a FA, when it looks like they've found a match they demand a first-and-third round pick- and they just benefitted. Addition without any subtraction.

You are right...but what team will pay a 1st and a 3rd for a guy who has started 15 games...played on a team with a great OL, a HOF WR , great WR corps, and good TE's?

On 2nd thought, a sucker is born every day :lol:

You are right...but what team will pay a 1st and a 3rd for a guy who has started 15 games...played on a team with a great OL, a HOF WR , great WR corps, and good TE's?

On 2nd thought, a sucker is born every day :lol:

I'm sure there are plenty of teams ready to give a 1st for Cassel, maybe a 3rd.

Jets, (although I don't se him going in-division), Vikings, and KC to name a few.

Its not a matter of if and what they demand with the franchise tag a team has to give up 2 firsts isn't it if they sign him? And Pats can match (which they obviously wouldn't unless they really think Brady is going to be out for a stretch) but the big thing is if no one wants to give up the 2 firsts then the pats have a 14.9 mil backup QB...

Edited by UnderDogX
Its not a matter of if and what they demand with the franchise tag a team has to give up 2 firsts isn't it if they sign him? And Pats can match (which they obviously wouldn't unless they really think Brady is going to be out for a stretch) but the big thing is if no one wants to give up the 2 firsts then the pats have a 14.9 mil backup QB...

..or they can trade him for something more reasonable, like 1 first.

Well the releases started yesterday and Sam Madison, Sammy Knight, Reuben Droughns, and Pacman Jones got released just to name a few.

MadDog (and other Dolphins fans), why hasn't Ernest Wilford been cut yet? :noclue::giggle: Don't be surprised if he isn't released. I read an article where it states if they cut Wilford it will be more expensive than keeping him--

It will reportedly cost the Dolphins more money against the salary cap to cut under-performing WR Ernest Wilford than to keep him.

The Dolphins would absorb the entire proration of his contract for the three remaining years, which comes out to $4.5 million against the cap. It's possible that Wilford will be still be around by training camp, with Miami hoping that something clicks in '09.

Rotoworld

How can they tell what Roy Williams is in this offense when the playbook seemed to exile him???

I'm still doubting that they seriously leave this coaching staff intact as is now... there's too much upgrade talent on the outside needing jobs to NOT fix this team's glaring need

(finding a way to shoot the other Roy Williams in the thigh would be nice too :rant: )

it's only been 10 days into the off-season :evilcry::saddevil: