Official 2009 NFL Off-season Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest I heard was that Brady would be back and that his rehab was going pretty well. :noclue: If he isn't coming back next year either, color me a happy guy. And Brady or no Brady, New England will be a pain in the ass as they always are. Cassell can play, and Belichick can coach. The tougher schedule will obviously make things more difficult for the Dolphins. I don't seeing us winning the division "with ease" because of that and New England- but it's certainly winnable for us.

Brady and the Pat's are selling the company line on the record, but Brady in particular seems to doubt playing next year.

Miami going after free-agent Austin?

The Miami Herald reports that the Dolphins may be interested in acquiring Dallas wide receiver Miles Austin. The 6'3", 216-pound Austin caught 13 balls for 278 yards in 12 games last season, but nearly 120 of those yards came against Green Bay in Week 3.

Our View: Austin, 24, is still young enough to establish himself as a reliable second or third receiver in the NFL, but he battled injuries to two separate knee ligaments in 2008, so his health has to be a concern. The upside for Miami is that Austin would come cheap. Since he entered the league undrafted, the Dolphins would not be obligated to compensate Dallas with a draft choice in exchange for Austin.

RotoTimes

Austin wouldn't surprise me. There were rumors on deadline day that we were gonna trade for him after Dallas picked up Williams. Logical being that he's a guy the Tuna brought in there, plus he's a Jersey guy. Tuna loves his Jersey guys.

I'd cry.

But what else is new, the Dolphins always take our sloppy seconds.

(kidding...)

So I guess we're Phaneuf to Dallas' Avery, eh? :P

No chance Austin leaves...he'll be a valuable cog in a year or two...that article is all speculative that the Cowboys don't place a tender on him...they'll put at least a 2nd rounder and then the Cowboys would have the right to match it or pick up another 2nd rounder...not sure anyone would take that bait regardless of how good he could be....this will be a guy the 'Boys lock up long term before the start of the season I'm sure...they'll probably hold off till training camp to see if he can stay healthy though...

No chance Austin leaves...he'll be a valuable cog in a year or two...that article is all speculative that the Cowboys don't place a tender on him...they'll put at least a 2nd rounder and then the Cowboys would have the right to match it or pick up another 2nd rounder...not sure anyone would take that bait regardless of how good he could be....this will be a guy the 'Boys lock up long term before the start of the season I'm sure...they'll probably hold off till training camp to see if he can stay healthy though...

I didn't realize Austin was thought of that highly in Dallas circles.

surprisingly yes....he's got speed and size and if he could stay healthy he'd be a big threat...he already surpassed Crayton on the depth chart by the Redskins game where he had two TD's (meaning he was being subbed in as the third WR in 3 WR packages) but got hurt that game and wasn't used the same way the rest of the season....a lot of Cowboys' beat writers have him as an important piece to the Cowboys WR corp...even moreso if TO gets released...but then again he's also a fellow alum out of Monmouth University so I'll point out his importance any chance i get :D

surprisingly yes....he's got speed and size and if he could stay healthy he'd be a big threat...he already surpassed Crayton on the depth chart by the Redskins game where he had two TD's (meaning he was being subbed in as the third WR in 3 WR packages) but got hurt that game and wasn't used the same way the rest of the season....a lot of Cowboys' beat writers have him as an important piece to the Cowboys WR corp...even moreso if TO gets released...but then again he's also a fellow alum out of Monmouth University so I'll point out his importance any chance i get :D

Interesting. I just assumed he was expendable, even with the pending TO release- this stems from me thinking that Crayton was still ahead of him on the depth chart. He sounds like the type of WR we need, but it doesn't sound like he'll be available. A 2nd is way too much if that's the tender the Cowboys put on him. I don't think I'd give up anything higher than a 5th.

Interesting. I just assumed he was expendable, even with the pending TO release- this stems from me thinking that Crayton was still ahead of him on the depth chart. He sounds like the type of WR we need, but it doesn't sound like he'll be available. A 2nd is way too much if that's the tender the Cowboys put on him. I don't think I'd give up anything higher than a 5th.

I can't remember who but I believe it was the Football Outsiders blog who had said Austin was probably one of the most efficient and productive WR in the league this past season based on looks, catch %, and down importance...but he was banged up and missed a few games this year and last so his durability is a big ?...Hurd was expected to be better than him and Stanback was also supposed to surpass his production as well but both have been an afterthought since this past year....

I think this will be a very interesting draft in that it seems to be very unpredictable as to how teams will draft at the top.

Personally, the only lock I can see is WR Michael Crabtree to Seattle; the nfldraftscout.com is the only mock I have seen (and I read dozens) that does not have Crabtree going to the Hawks.

Everette Brown 3rd overall to KC? :doh1:

If he can still play, he might be a nice addition to our secondary. How was he last year Manta? And do you think it would be worth it for the Dolphins to sign him if the money is right based on recent performance?

He was hurt in training camp and never recovered. He ended up having surgery that put him out for the year.

He was hurt in training camp and never recovered. He ended up having surgery that put him out for the year.

Yeah, I knew he was hurt this past season. But do you think he can still play on a high level? I realize he probably isn't gonna be the McCallister of old, but I would have to think he's still better than Will Allen or Andre Goodman, regardless of how well those guys played down the stretch last year.

Yeah, I knew he was hurt this past season. But do you think he can still play on a high level? I realize he probably isn't gonna be the McCallister of old, but I would have to think he's still better than Will Allen or Andre Goodman, regardless of how well those guys played down the stretch last year.

Don't know. I am pretty sure this was a salary cap issue, although I am happy with the way our younger guys played on the corners last year, his presence on the bench can't hurt.

I hope he resigns for less and plays in the nickel package.

Don't know. I am pretty sure this was a salary cap issue, although I am happy with the way our younger guys played on the corners last year, his presence on the bench can't hurt.

I hope he resigns for less and plays in the nickel package.

Although he's getting up there in age, it could still be a good depth signing I guess, if the money was right. But I doubt it happens.

McCalister is good. But don't hate on Will Allen. He emerged as a solid, dependable cover corner last season. He's a very good number 2 corner.

Maybe.

I don't buy him.

I have a friend who has season-tickets to the Devils, and every time Scott Clemmensen has a shot against him, this guy cringes in fear. It's an adventure with Clemmer in net, he believes.

While I'm not going to agree or disagree with this theory here, as it's the wrong forum, that's kinda how I feel about Will Allen. Every ball thrown his way is a new adventure in whether or not he will stop the ball.

Let's see ol' Will repeat this year (where I can't really remember him getting truly fisted by the league's #2 receivers), and I'll ease up on him. A little.