Official 2009 NFL Off-season Thread

Maybe.

I don't buy him.

I have a friend who has season-tickets to the Devils, and every time Scott Clemmensen has a shot against him, this guy cringes in fear. It's an adventure with Clemmer in net, he believes.

While I'm not going to agree or disagree with this theory here, as it's the wrong forum, that's kinda how I feel about Will Allen. Every ball thrown his way is a new adventure in whether or not he will stop the ball.

Let's see ol' Will repeat this year (where I can't really remember him getting truly fisted by the league's #2 receivers), and I'll ease up on him. A little.

I don't know how you can say that after last season. Did you watch all 17 games?

Now if you said that after the '07 season, then I hear you out. But he was excellent last season. Again, he's an awesome cover corner. He also has amazing closing speed, if he does get beat. Can he catch? No.

Still, that swap for a washed up Sam Madison was great!

Goodman is still our best corner.

Yeremiah Bell better get re-signed!

Edited by Cracker5
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who has season-tickets to the Devils, and every time Scott Clemmensen has a shot against him, this guy cringes in fear. It's an adventure with Clemmer in net, he believes.

Gee i think everyone here knows who it was anyway... no need to hide it :P

Clemmensieve is >>>> Will Allen though

I don't know how you can say that after last season. Did you watch all 17 games?

Now if you said that after the '07 season, then I hear you out. But he was excellent last season. Again, he's an awesome cover corner. He also has amazing closing speed, if he does get beat. Can he catch? No.

Still, that swap for a washed up Sam Madison was great!

Goodman is still our best corner.

Yeremiah Bell better get re-signed!

Let's say I watched 12 to 14 of 17 games, that's probably a fair estimate. I don't remember the exact number.

And I'm not arguing with you that Allen had an unbelievably good season.

My argument is: he's a player with a history of inconsistency, so let's see him do it again.

Would it be a post from Brian if he wasn't trying to piss me off in some of it?? :P

Methinks thy ego protesteth too much. :P

Will Allen had a good year for us. He's a solid CB. Is he a franchise corner? No, but he's improved steadily like the rest of our secondary. I was amazed at the years that Allen and especially Goodman had. I certainly wouldn't mind though if the Tuna placed an exploratory call to McCallister's agent.

DMN reports Julius Peppers has expressed interest in being traded to the Cowboys if franchised.

Isn't it funny how everyone says "I want to be a Cowboy", so the idea that Jerry could be in on negotiations (whether the cowboys are interested or not) jacks up their price.

Anquan Boldin would be a great fit with the Giants, if tfinally get rid of Plax.

Talk about this and other Giants news at my website... the offseason is a slow time for the site so feel free to join and post a thing or two... the link is in my sig. Thanks.

DMN reports Julius Peppers has expressed interest in being traded to the Cowboys if franchised.

Isn't it funny how everyone says "I want to be a Cowboy", so the idea that Jerry could be in on negotiations (whether the cowboys are interested or not) jacks up their price.

Meh. I hate it when these guys open their mouths about what teams they'd want to play for. Peppers- just like every other guy out there- wants to go to whoever PAYS him.

Meh. I hate it when these guys open their mouths about what teams they'd want to play for. Peppers- just like every other guy out there- wants to go to whoever PAYS him.

what better way to start off negotiations by saying you want to play for the guy who is willing to pay you the most...no chance we get him or Ray Lewis...just business negotiations people...nothing to see here...

Anquan Boldin would be a great fit with the Giants, if tfinally get rid of Plax.

Talk about this and other Giants news at my website... the offseason is a slow time for the site so feel free to join and post a thing or two... the link is in my sig. Thanks.

The problem is that Boldin is also represented by the same moron agent. I doubt the Giants want anything to do with ANY of his clients. If I were a GM I would avoid his players.

what better way to start off negotiations by saying you want to play for the guy who is willing to pay you the most...no chance we get him or Ray Lewis...just business negotiations people...nothing to see here...

Exactly. Jones reputation as a moron GM makes any rumor plausible, its a great way to jack up your asking price with artificial demand.

Jets create room for Ray Lewis

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, February 20th 2009, 2:21 AM

INDIANAPOLIS - The Ray Lewis rumors got a lot louder Thursday night.

The Jets left themselves perilously thin at inside linebacker, releasing veteran backups David Bowens and Brad Kassell - moves that could mean they're clearing the deck to pursue Lewis or Ravens teammate Bart Scott, another inside linebacker.

"They must be targeting a linebacker, probably from Baltimore," Bowens said in a phone interview.

New coach Rex Ryan, previously the Ravens' defensive coordinator, knows Lewis and Scott as well as anyone. Ryan has only one experienced inside linebacker under contract, David Harris, so it doesn't take a genius to connect the dots.

Lewis and Scott will be free agents on Feb. 27, although the Ravens are expected to make a push to sign Lewis before he hits the open market. The Ravens used their franchise tag on outside linebacker Terrell Suggs, effectively removing him from the market. Scott wants to stay in Baltimore, but he doubts that will happen.

"If you're able to keep all three of us, you'd almost have to be a miracle worker," he said Wednesday on Sirius Radio.

Lewis is a future Hall of Famer and has said he'd enjoy being reunited with Ryan, but Scott, 28, makes more sense to the Jets because he's nearly six years younger than Lewis. Scott will be one of the most coveted free agents in the league, but the Jets have $18 million in salary-cap space after gaining an additional $3 million with the release of Bowens and Kassell.

Jets' brass arrived here at the scouting combine with several pressing issues. They will meet Friday night with the agent for right guard Brandon Moore, who is due a $7 million roster bonus. The team poured a lot of money into the offensive line last offseason and wants to renegotiate his contract. Failing that, the Jets may release Moore, their best run blocker. He'd immediately become one of the top free-agent guards.

They also may part ways with tight end Chris Baker, another financially motivated decision. If he's on the roster March 5, the Jets would have to guarantee $9 million in salary over the next three years - a prohibitive amount at a position where they invested a first-round choice in Dustin Keller.

The Jets can use some of the savings for running back Leon Washington, whom they'd like to sign to a long-term deal. Washington, entering the final year of his contract, is likely seeking Darren Sproles money; the Chargers' all-purpose dynamo received the franchise tag - a cool $6.6 million for one year.

Meanwhile, the Jets lost a respected leader in Bowens, who started five games when Harris was hurt. Bowens recently underwent arthroscopic knee surgery.

"My knee was messed up since training camp," he said. "I could've sat down, but I sucked it up for the team. Was it worth it? Yeah, it was. I put the team ahead of me."

PICK IT UP: The Jets will receive a third-round pick for LB Jonathan Vilma, whom they traded to the Saints last March. It would escalate to a second-rounder if Vilma re-signs before the start of free agency, but that is unlikely.

MadDog:

Vernon Carey re-signed- 6 years, $42 million!! :boogie:

Miami Herald

Thank God! He was the most important player to re-sign, especially after Gross and Starks were franchised.

The Bears and Vikings were taking a hard look at Carey and when the Dolphins didn't tag him, I got nervous.

I'm so happy right now.

MadDog:

Vernon Carey re-signed- 6 years, $42 million!! :boogie:

Miami Herald

Thank God! He was the most important player to re-sign, especially after Gross and Starks were franchised.

The Bears and Vikings were taking a hard look at Carey and when the Dolphins didn't tag him, I got nervous.

I'm so happy right now.

Great deal- I read today he got $15 mil guaranteed. No doubt Big Vern had to be the first priority- now we have the bookends set for the forseeable future. :boogie: Next- let's get Bell locked up!!

Edited by MadDog2020
RUMOR: Albert Haynesworth to sign with Wa$hington for $100 million, $30 guaranteed.

Welcome to the new NFL

link?

And how the fvck does washington afford that? they were near the top of the cap last year after getting Taylor, I heard.

The FAN is reporting that Tampa Bay has released Derrick Brooks.

link?

And how the fvck does washington afford that? they were near the top of the cap last year after getting Taylor, I heard.

Because the first year of the contract is miniscule, and then, when 2010 hits and the cap disappears (which it could at this point), then Washington pays the bulk of the money to Haynesworth.

Channing Crowder re-signs with the Dolphins: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football...ory/921820.html

I'm stunned on this one- I thought for sure he would test the market. But it sounds like a reasonable deal, and keeps continuity on defense. I was ready to let him walk if was going to be asking for outrageous money, but this deal sounds pretty good to me.

The Jets released Coles: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ny-spco...0,7469830.story

He'll be a Dolphin by Friday. You can wirte that down right now. I look forward to watching that old Pennington-Coles chemistry for my team this time. And I look forward to watching them kill the Jets together, instead of killing me together.

The Dolphins are also the apparent front-runner for Jason Brown: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/cont...nside_0226.html

This would make my free agency. Brown would be a huge coup. He's versatile, he's young, and he's is a mammoth upgrade from Samson Satele at center. He fills the last void on our o-line, allowing us to focus on other positions of need in the draft. If we can land Brown, after locking up Carey and Crowder, then sign Coles and Bell, I will be a VERY happy Dolphins fan. VERY happy. Although that most likely means losing Andre Goodman, but there is always a downside when you have a salary cap. I think the Tuna looks to the draft for corner help.

Edited by MadDog2020