Official 2009 NFL Off-season Thread

MB3

...what?!? CRASHER not a real Devils fan?!?! But he's got 20,000 posts, and he's nominated for everything!! BLASPHEMY! :P

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but post counts and awards that about 2% of the board participates in doesn't mean much to me. I don't have a problem with anyone criticizing Marty (no one is above that), but to call him a "little prick" and a "spoiled prick" is incredibly disrespectful and unappreciative.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please. Marty has already proven himself and is clearly a superstar, with a superstar's resume. You're actually going to compare the recent Devils teams to the Cowboy dynasty? (Guess you jumped on that winning bandwagon too.) And save me the phony rah-rah sh!t regarding Aikman & Co. You think maybe the fact that that Cowboy team was incredibly talented from top-to-bottom had anything to do with it? Not even Barry Switzer could get in the way of that team winning a third Super Bowl. Sorry Marty doesn't spew enough fairy-tale quotes or act exactly the way you want him to...but how do YOU know that Marty wasn't bothered by what happened in Game 7? He seemed plenty bothered by losing Game 6.

Sorry Crash, but there's no nice way to put this...you're not a good nor fair fan. You're the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately, instant-gratification type.

Anyway this is an NFL thread so I'll end my hijack here.

Let's see my first two years with both teams I follow (and have STILL followed through peaks and valleys)

1981, Dallas Cowboys.... Joe Montana throws a bullsh!t pass and starts a dynasty (when I moved to Staten Island I got caught up in the hype from the kids on the block and got fascinated by a QB who was by the way the PUNTER... and watched every game to see when he was gonna fake a punt and throw a TD pass... hey it stuck)

1994, living in Brooklyn and hearing MATTEAU MATTEAU all summer long..... 15 years of hockey recaps and season tickets since 2003... yeah I jumped on a wagon :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why is it when people call out stars for failing and not being accountable for it, they're bad fans???

I'm a VERY fair fan.... I want my guys to put the intensity and the CARING TO WIN when it matters most... in the playoffs... our guy no longer does that... you don't think a talented AND motivated team wanting to kick ass and take names because of their fvck-ups the year before ADDS to it??? When I was at the Football HOF I bought some Cowboys DVDs... they had a roundtable with the triplets.... ALL THREE SAID AND AGREED that the motivation of losing the NFC Title game in 94 made it a MISSION in 95 (very much like the Devils did in those two same years)...but I guess watching the DVD and seeing all three say it in their own words and take the blame for it in the same segement means nothing.... when was the last time mb30 EVER said anything in the like... he came close in game 5 (but then again, where was that again in game 4 and game 7, will never be forgivable in my eyes... yes I add personal issues upon it.... when you see your hockey team fail like your life was at the same time... get fvcking pissed and hold a grudge you will too!!... not like i've never said this 150 times over on here)

I don't want fairy tale quotes.... I want ANGER... I want PASSION....I want a guy who wants another shot at it because winning championships BURNS IN HIM... not a guy more worried about sales on his crappy logo on his garbage website

But hooray.... I'm a frontrunner... GO PATRIOTS!!!:unsure::rolleyes::blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

(dammit I need to add this... why is it if I'm the "bad spoiled, unfair expectations fan" why am I ALWAYS the ONLY ONE on here not having a sh!t fit on July 1 when OMG WE DIDN'T OVER SPEND ON THE STUPID NOT WORTH IT FREE AGENT... or the same thing on trade deadline day.... if I'm the spoiled fan go back to this board the day Scott Gomez left and see what I was saying.... or why i don't get mad about the 2007, 2008 FAILS... those were NOT GOOD TEAMS, you set the bar differently)

Yes I take it personally when people question my loyalty.... I AM my loyalty... even to an excess and I don't throw it around lightly!

Edited by CRASHER

Let's see my first two years with both teams I follow (and have STILL followed through peaks and valleys)

1981, Dallas Cowboys.... Joe Montana throws a bullsh!t pass and starts a dynasty (when I moved to Staten Island I got caught up in the hype from the kids on the block and got fascinated by a QB who was by the way the PUNTER... and watched every game to see when he was gonna fake a punt and throw a TD pass... hey it stuck)

1994, living in Brooklyn and hearing MATTEAU MATTEAU all summer long..... 15 years of hockey recaps and season tickets since 2003... yeah I jumped on a wagon :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why is it when people call out stars for failing and not being accountable for it, they're bad fans???

I'm a VERY fair fan.... I want my guys to put the intensity and the CARING TO WIN when it matters most... in the playoffs... our guy no longer does that... you don't think a talented AND motivated team wanting to kick ass and take names because of their fvck-ups the year before ADDS to it??? When I was at the Football HOF I bought some Cowboys DVDs... they had a roundtable with the triplets.... ALL THREE SAID AND AGREED that the motivation of losing the NFC Title game in 94 made it a MISSION in 95 (very much like the Devils did in those two same years)...but I guess watching the DVD and seeing all three say it in their own words and take the blame for it in the same segement means nothing....

When was the last time mb30 EVER said anything in the like... he came close in game 5 (but then again, where was that again in game 4 and game 7, will never be forgivable in my eyes... yes I add personal issues upon it.... when you see your hockey team fail like your life was at the same time... get fvcking pissed and hold a grudge you will too!!... not like i've never said this 150 times over on here)

I don't want fairy tale quotes.... I want ANGER... I want PASSION....I want a guy who wants another shot at it because winning championships BURNS IN HIM... not a guy more worried about sales on his crappy logo on his garbage website

But hooray.... I'm a frontrunner... GO PATRIOTS!!!:unsure::rolleyes::blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

(dammit I need to add this... why is it if I'm the "bad spoiled, unfair expectations fan" why am I ALWAYS the ONLY ONE on here not having a sh!t fit on July 1 when OMG WE DIDN'T OVER SPEND ON THE STUPID NOT WORTH IT FREE AGENT... or the same thing on trade deadline day.... if I'm the spoiled fan go back to this board the day Scott Gomez left and see what I was saying.... or why i don't get mad about the 2007, 2008 FAILS... those were NOT GOOD TEAMS, you set the bar differently)

Yes I take it personally when people question my loyalty.... I AM my loyalty... even to an excess and I don't throw it around lightly!

What an athlete says/portays himself to be in front of reporters is rarely what that athlete truly is behind closed doors. Even at the high school level, athletes are trained to separate media from reality. Call it loyalty, call it whatever, but you're calling Marty a spoiled prick because he didn't give you the right soundbytes (and because, after over a decade of being one of the most dominant goalies in the world, he finally decided to market himself ... what a jerk! ::hint sarcasm:: ). Sorry CRASH, but that makes you come off as pretty spoiled yourself.

C'mon CRASHER, haven't you ever seen Bull Durham? There's a guy named -- ironically enough -- Crash, who shares a piece of wisdom that all pro athletes live by.

What an athlete says/portays himself to be in front of reporters is rarely what that athlete truly is behind closed doors. Even at the high school level, athletes are trained to separate media from reality. Call it loyalty, call it whatever, but you're calling Marty a spoiled prick because he didn't give you the right soundbytes (and because, after over a decade of being one of the most dominant goalies in the world, he finally decided to market himself ... what a jerk! ::hint sarcasm:: ). Sorry CRASH, but that makes you come off as pretty spoiled yourself.

C'mon CRASHER, haven't you ever seen Bull Durham? There's a guy named -- ironically enough -- Crash, who shares a piece of wisdom that all pro athletes live by.

When I hear him say or act otherwise I'll retract it.. until then (and people love to miss the part when I said it meshed with a PERSONAL issue at the same time, it's my prerogative to stay pissed off at my team if I want to just as much as its theirs to be indifferent... I don't sugar coat sh!t in my life... I sure as hell won't with my sports emotion... and anyone who thinks I'm whatever... go find and read my 2ma BEFORE game 7 and tell me that didn't have you ready to scream your lungs out at that game too...)

and yeah the best word of wisdom in there... NEVER fvck with a winning streak!!!

When I hear him say or act otherwise I'll retract it..

So you're waiting for Marty to say something like, "Hey guys, remember the Spring of 2009 when we suffered a horrible collapse against the Hurricanes? Back then, I gave token answers to most interview questions in the same professional manner I've given in every interview I've ever had in my entire professional career, and for that I apologize. I was actually steaming pissed, broke my stick in the locker room, spit on Coach Sutter, went home and kicked my dog and drowned my sorrows in a few bottles of Johnny Black Label. I was trying to be a good role model for the young players out there and show that, even when things seem their worst, the Sun will rise again tomorrow, and the only way to succeed is to dedicate yourself in practice and on gameday, not by giving interesting soundbytes. But now I realize that I should have acted like a hot-headed punk ... you know, the way I've never acted and the way no fan who has ever followed any portion of my career would ever reasonably expect me to act. I apologize for having a cool-tempered, consistent character. It'll never happen again."?

Don't hold your breath, buddy.

Am I in the right folder? I thought this was Off-Topic :lol:

There's a big difference for getting on a guy for acting blase and being egotistical. Marty's personality when we were winning was Devil may care, so why should I come down on him now when he's staying consistent with that? That's how he's been successful (acting blase and nonchalant) so I can't tell him to change now just because we haven't won in a few playoff series.

Besides, I don't think the Devils lost because they weren't trying. The Cowboys that year were mad because they pi**ed away a chance for a three-peat by being lazy. This Devils team wasn't lazy, not when you have the captain busting his butt to get back from arthroscopic knee surgery, Elias playing hurt, Salvador wanting in the lineup, etc. They were just too passive down the stretch and in the playoffs, and part of that was the coach who had one foot out the door anyway.

As far as the website, I'm tired of hearing about that and the helmet. Don't the profits from all that go to charity? I vaguely remember hearing about that when they did a feature on the website during a pregame with his brother.

The actual ego stuff is something else though, when you do call out your teammates and not yourself, dictate your schedule and all I do have a problem with that and the latter does hurt the team at times because Marty's a bit macho and still wants to play 77 games a year. On that much I'm in agreement.

Edited by Hasan4978

No you didn't. If you were living in Staten Island at the time how could you possibly have watched every game?

There's a way to do it. As great as he's been overall, I'll always feel that Marty's play in the 2000-01 SC Final was the main reason the Devils didn't win. I've already said he's not above criticism. But I've gone over this several times on different threads...look at how many teams (including good ones, like the Flyers) have been waiting and trying for DECADES to win just one Cup. We've been lucky enough to see three of 'em (and since you jumped on at just the right time, you didn't have to deal with any of the lean years), and Marty's been a big part of all of them. Yet you treat him with absolutely zero respect, because like DIG alluded to, he didn't give you enough phony soundbytes. So yeah, that makes you a bad fan.

Yes you do. The fact that YOU think you know what Marty is worried about is laughable. Like DIG says, we don't see Marty behind closed doors...we see him in small snippets. Enough whining about the friggin' mask already...wow, after all these years he finally decided to wear a more personalized mask. Other goalies have been wearing "look at me", highly personalized masks for years. That's just looking for something, ANYTHING on which to take out your misguided anger.

I'm used to hearing that. No big. I always disliked frontrunners and bandwagon types, because to me the purpose of being a sports fan is stick with your team through EVERYTHING...it makes you appreciate the peaks that much more when you have to go through the valleys, and the Victor Kiam, Zeke Mowatt pecker-waving years were as horrific as it gets. That's why I'm still a Met fan, amateur and infuriating as they are, even though in almost every regard they're an embarrassment.

Stop telling lies. You're hardly the only one...I and many others on here didn't have "sh!t fits", because we know how Lou tends to operate, and how guys like Gio were insanely overpaid. I think Lou had a very good offseason and have said so, and so have others. I'm also not the kind of fan that thinks everything has to be solved in the offseason...if the Devils need to make improvements and upgrades Lou can do that during the season.

We should probably take this to PM if you want to continue this.

I'm used to hearing that. No big. I always disliked frontrunners and bandwagon types, because to me the purpose of being a sports fan is stick with your team through EVERYTHING...it makes you appreciate the peaks that much more when you have to go through the valleys, and the Victor Kiam, Zeke Mowatt pecker-waving years were as horrific as it gets. That's why I'm still a Met fan, amateur and infuriating as they are, even though in almost every regard they're an embarrassment.

that will make the payoff even more sweeter when it happens :koolaid:

No you didn't. If you were living in Staten Island at the time how could you possibly have watched every game?

You realize how often the Cowboys were on MNF back then?? Back when MNF mattered???

They played the Giants twice a year and they were on every Thanksgiving Day... so I saw about half their games back then... but hey you lived every second of my life for me, so of course you'd know my life better then your own....wanna tell me who I'll end up marrying too one of these days?? :P

There's a way to do it. As great as he's been overall, I'll always feel that Marty's play in the 2000-01 SC Final was the main reason the Devils didn't win. I've already said he's not above criticism. But I've gone over this several times on different threads...look at how many teams (including good ones, like the Flyers) have been waiting and trying for DECADES to win just one Cup. We've been lucky enough to see three of 'em (and since you jumped on at just the right time, you didn't have to deal with any of the lean years), and Marty's been a big part of all of them. Yet you treat him with absolutely zero respect, because like DIG alluded to, he didn't give you enough phony soundbytes. So yeah, that makes you a bad fan.

So now you're telling me how to curtail my emotions and deal with a painful sports memory that was mirroring a VERY painful personal experience that was going on at THE SAME TIME and ended the SAME WAY as our hockey season ended.... why thank you oh mighty guru!

Yes you do. The fact that YOU think you know what Marty is worried about is laughable. Like DIG says, we don't see Marty behind closed doors...we see him in small snippets. Enough whining about the friggin' mask already...wow, after all these years he finally decided to wear a more personalized mask. Other goalies have been wearing "look at me", highly personalized masks for years. That's just looking for something, ANYTHING on which to take out your misguided anger.

Remeber this quote: "No one player or line is above this team".....that mask, albeit symbolically... but I am big on symbolism, makes him look and feel above the team... I'll get off it when I see a TEAM LOGO on it, it's my right to be vocal about things I don't like

Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Steve Walsh, the 1994 and 1996 Devils.... you might wanna fix the sarcasm meter there, you're thumbing your nose down at the wrong person here... I'm NEVER giving up my Devils or Cowboy allegiance

And for what it's worth I was never a Pats fan I did get a kick outta Scott Zolak back in the day :lol:

We should probably take this to PM if you want to continue this.

This thread goes away in 3 weeks... I don't mind... and most people know already why I get so extra angry at this year's hockey fail anyway... I've hardly made it a mystery... the Cowboy fail was easier cause I could turn it off after the first quarter and just spare myself......

So you're waiting for Marty to say something like: "Hey guys, remember the Spring of 2009 when we suffered a horrible collapse against the Hurricanes? Back then, I gave token answers to most interview questions in the same professional manner I've given in every interview I've ever had in my entire professional career, and for that I apologize. I was actually steaming pissed, broke my stick in the locker room, spit on Coach Sutter, went home and kicked my dog and drowned my sorrows in a few bottles of Johnny Black Label. I was trying to be a good role model for the young players out there and show that, even when things seem their worst, the Sun will rise again tomorrow, and the only way to succeed is to dedicate yourself in practice and on gameday, not by giving interesting soundbytes. But now I realize that I should have acted like a hot-headed punk ... you know, the way I've never acted and the way no fan who has ever followed any portion of my career would ever reasonably expect me to act. I apologize for having a cool-tempered, consistent character. It'll never happen again."?

Don't hold your breath, buddy.

win

as much as I love the piling up on Crasher feel this thread has taken, as a fellow Cowboys and Devils fan, I have to say that I at least understand where he's coming from. Every one of you have to at least try to understand that within the same year both of our teams lost and lost in a big dramatic way. This wasn't a run of the mill, down and out, balls to the wall, give it all you've got, and come up short type of loss. This was and on the line and flounder out with no heart loss. That alone is discouraging but then when you have the face of each respective franchise come out and do their best Annie "the sun will come out tomorrow" impression it. is. infuriating. No one, well maybe Crasher is a bit, but I think that's more bravado and reputation speaking than Crasher himself, really expects Romo or MB30 to go up on the podium point, get a bad question and throw a microphone. We weren't hoping for a Dennis Green "crown their @$$es" type rant or a Jim Mora "playoffs?!?!" speech. But what we wanted was these team leaders to come out and at least give the fans a perspective, an understanding, that they felt the way we did...that this was a game that would keep them up, that it was a game that wasn't going to sit well. We wanted these players to accept accountability and vow for a change...we wanted to be consoled, coddled, and told it would be ok...but it isn't what we got....we got a "golly gee, bad things happen, but its not the end of the world," piss poor excuse for a press conference.

But that being said, I agree with Has on the subject of MB30's ego...as far as the helmet and website go...it would've sat a little better had this not been a banner year for records to be broken. It's not like this was a gradual change into something that we all foresaw and for that it came, to some (myself included), off as a direct move to abandon the tradition of superstition in the NHL for a blatant money grab capitalizing on the situation...we have enough of that in other sports....as far as the money going to charity....it doesn't matter to me. The money could be going to giving kittens to the blind or to line the soon to be built pyramid-o-marty, the future burial site of Sir Martin Brodeur, greatest goalie EVAR.....makes no difference. It wasn't about what it was, it was about what it looked like, and what it represented....

but that's just my two cents....so...how about that Titan's fake punt?... :huh:

Edited by UnderDogX

as much as I love the piling up on Crasher feel this thread has taken, as a fellow Cowboys and Devils fan, I have to say that I at least understand where he's coming from. Every one of you have to at least try to understand that within the same year both of our teams lost and lost in a big dramatic way.

Oh please, the Jets had equally as hideous - if not worse since it was drawn out over five weeks - a conclusion to their season than the Cowboys did. And don't even get me started on the Mets, TWO STRAIGHT HISTORIC COLLAPSES climaxing in Game #162 are ten times the gut-wrenching any Cowboy season ended with. Between those two teams, I know as much sports pain as just about anyone here with the exception of Clown (that dude is cursed).

I could never get as mad at Marty (or anyone else in sports - with the exception of the HC of the NEP) as CRASHER has been for like years before this playoff series ever happened :P I also realize this is a debate I'm never going to 'win' with him, he's intractable so I don't even bother arguing most of the time.

Edited by Hasan4978

You realize how often the Cowboys were on MNF back then?? Back when MNF mattered???

They played the Giants twice a year and they were on every Thanksgiving Day... so I saw about half their games back then... but hey you lived every second of my life for me, so of course you'd know my life better then your own....wanna tell me who I'll end up marrying too one of these days?? :P

That's the problem with lying. Once you start, it's hard to stop and even harder to keep your stories straight.

Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Steve Walsh, the 1994 and 1996 Devils.... you might wanna fix the sarcasm meter there, you're thumbing your nose down at the wrong person here... I'm NEVER giving up my Devils or Cowboy allegiance

Of course you're not going to bail NOW. You've got enough recent championships in the bag, relatively speaking. Just admit that it was their winning that made you a fan of both franchises to begin with.

And please don't mention the '94 and '96 Devils in the same breath again. The '94 team had, by far and away, the best regular season in frachise history to that point, led the league in goal differential, scored over 300 goals despite fans uttering the dreaded "T" word, and came within a Game 7 double OT goal of reaching the SC Finals. The '96 team started off 4-0. Not much good happened after that.

Anyway, back on topic...in Minnesota, ticket sales for the Vikes are spiking. Guess everyone can't wait for Brett the Great to throw into triple coverage and pad his INT total. Words can't express how sick of this douchebag I really am.

Oh please, the Jets had equally as hideous - if not worse since it was drawn out over five weeks - a conclusion to their season than the Cowboys did. And don't even get me started on the Mets, TWO STRAIGHT HISTORIC COLLAPSES climaxing in Game #162 are ten times the gut-wrenching any Cowboy season ended with.

You've got a point there. It's brutal being a Met fan...I can't imagine being both a Met AND a Jet fan and going through twice the agony.

As much as I think Plax deserved what he got, it is weird to me that a guy who KILLED someone, like Donte' Stallworth, gets less than a month of prison time.

You've got a point there. It's brutal being a Met fan...I can't imagine being both a Met AND a Jet fan and going through twice the agony.

welcome to the worlds of hasan, 7, and myself :D

although im more of just a casual fan rather than a die-hard like i am with the mets.

As much as I think Plax deserved what he got, it is weird to me that a guy who KILLED someone, like Donte' Stallworth, gets less than a month of prison time.

I think it has to do with intent...you can argue the whole debate of driving while drunk is like a loaded gun simile but the situation with Plax could've ended much worse, the guy was carrying around an illegal loaded weapon...

Although I agree with your assessment on Stallworth, involuntary or not manslaughter should've been enough to put the guy in bars for a bit...

@ Has....but that wasn't my point...don't get me wrong I can understand the Jets and Mets comparisons but at what point did what athlete on either of those teams write it off as a "bad day, things could be worse"?? Much less the face of the franchise to which both MB30 and Romo are...I sure don't follow the Jets enough to know if there is an answer to that and pretty much once football season begins baseball season doesn't interest me enough so I couldn't answer that about the Mets either....

As far as the hatred towards Marty? yeah I'm pretty sure no one could equate Crasher level hate on anything...

@ Has....but that wasn't my point...don't get me wrong I can understand the Jets and Mets comparisons but at what point did what athlete on either of those teams write it off as a "bad day, things could be worse"??

Dude, you're setting me up for a volleyball spike here. TOM GLAVINE :P Hall-of-fame pitcher, 300-game winner, and he happened to have the worst performance of his 20+ year career to finish off the '07 season in a win or go home game at home. 1/3 IP, 7 ER. And after the game he said he wasn't devastated, it was only a game - sound familiar? AND he already had a foot out the door wanting to go back to Atlanta after taking the Mets' money for five years and really having one good year and one okay season among those five. At least Marty wasn't going anywhere after last year.

And I STILL wasn't half as mad at Glavine then as CRASHER has been with Marty for years, and I was plenty ticked off then. In the end, I only have seen three championships in my lifetime - well four but I was eight in '86 with the Mets and my memory of actually watching the Mets isn't too great until later that decade - so that pretty much doesn't count for me. Three titles, and Mr. Brodeur was a big part of all of them. That's why with the issues I have with him (or Lou these days), I ain't ever asking for a divorce.

CRASHER can say what he wants about Marty but when you make a comment like 'please go to the Rangers' (paraphrasing) he's just asking to be gang-tackled. That's blasphemous, I don't care how much you're annoyed at him.

... every game THAT I COULD WATCH... geesh...excuse me for not being 15 and living in a direct TV world when I grew up (and for the sports-retarded family I grew up in... that took some effort)

Amazing how the Mets/Jets fan has the exclusive right to hoard sports pain because Joe Beningo gets to whine for 4 hours a day during lunch time crymeariver.gifcrymeariver.gif

and please... my true irrational hatred comes from that Stay-Puft Butterfly Fraud fvckFace in Anaheim .... him I really hope dies a painful death :P

and I've said on record I DON'T want to trade the guy cause it will light a fire under his ass (THAT HE NEEDS) and he'd win one or two more Cups outside of NJ... well unless he went to Montreal... then all the attention would destroy him... hrrrrmmmmmmm

but hey just because I loved a girl in 2003, and she became a total primadonna bitch in the 6 years after the fact, I should still hold on to how I felt about her then right?? :noclue: