Official 2009 NFL Off-season Thread

They were never going to sign Seymour. He was always slightly overrated anyway. The Pats were looking like they might use a 4-3 and Seymour would not be a good 4-3 DE because he has limited pass rushing skills. The Patriots got maximum value and the Raiders only have him for one year. You might not be scared of them, but that doesn't change the fact that this deal was highway robbery. You never see a probably top 5 or ten pick get traded, and especially not for an aging player who has one year left on his contract. The Pats have so many draft picks. It won't take long for this defense to be rebuilt.

That might not necessarily be true... as I mentioned earlier, if it's an uncapped year next year (which all signs point to right now), each team can tag 2 players. So it's pretty much a given the Raiders will tag him, considering what they gave up for him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pats are just smarter than everyone else. I hate them, dont get me wrong. But I think this is posturing in case there is a lockout in 2011.

One of the major upsides for the Pats on this is if that pick is a top 5 or 10 (and it probably will be- the Raiders will still suck a year from now), they will not be burdened with the huge financial committment those picks carry now, because there WILL be a rookie cap put into place, and you can bet your bottom dollar on that. I think that's a big reason why they did this.