Avery returning to NYR soon?

Patches O'Houlihan

How pissed off would this make Shanahan in retrospect too?

The Rangers can't sign him and his measly 800k because of the cap but they can take this guy and 2m against the cap back?

I think he would be worse off having to help fix a mess of a team than helping a winning team keep their flow.

I see what you're saying though, that would kind of be like Sather figuratively spitting in his face.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he would be worse off having to help fix a mess of a team than helping a winning team keep their flow.

I see what you're saying though, that would kind of be like Sather figuratively spitting in his face.

Exactly, I know I'd view it as a measure of disrespect if I was in Shanahan's skates.

How pissed off would this make Shanahan in retrospect too?

The Rangers can't sign him and his measly 800k because of the cap but they can take this guy and 2m against the cap back?

I think it'd be hilarious - Shanny was largely credited with keeping Avery in line enough to keep the locker room from being toxic the way it was in Dallas and this time he wouldn't be there.

"Lose my number. I'm tired of you calling me and complaining about your teammates."

Brendan Shanahan, then of the Red Wings, to Sean Avery, then of the Kings, as Shanahan skated by the Kings bench.

Looks like this story may be credible, TG confirms that this will probably happen on his blog in the comments.

I hope he signs and then when the Devils and Rangers meet Clarkson, Rupp, or Holik will knock him out. Avery is a pansy and i hate him with a passion. Just goes to show how good the Ranger organization is run.

I hope he signs and then when the Devils and Rangers meet Clarkson, Rupp, or Holik will knock him out. Avery is a pansy and i hate him with a passion. Just goes to show how good the Ranger organization is run.

I'd crap my pants laughing if some team (say the Flyers) claimed Avery under the Rangers' noses the way the Blue Jackets did with Dublewicz.

Then again let the Rangers screw up their cap even more and see how a neutered Avery deals with a locker room that he's already worn out his welcome in. Although the media kissing his butt (again) is something I could do without.

Edited by Hasan4978

Hrm, Avery being in the minors means the stars only owe him 4 mil with no cap hit. If they have him claimed on re-entry they are only on the hook for half his salary but I think they have to eat 2m a year in cap space. Not sure thats a wise choice.

i think it beats all the alternatives, considering:

A: if they buy him out, it's something like 1.3 M spread out over 6 years and they have to pay him that money and it's a cap hit for the duration.

B: it might be very difficult to find an AHL team for him to play on, considering the Stars don't have an affiliate, and even if they did, I can't imagine having Sean Avery around is going to help them out.

C: i doubt very much, now that the stars have totally shot their bargaining position, that anyone is willing to take him on through regular waivers or a trade. the stars should explore a deal whereby they give up avery and a 2nd for a 3rd or something like that, but i doubt very much that anyone wants that $4m cap hit.

they save $8 million this way and lose a total of $2.5 million in cap space. I don't think it's even close.

ugh dont post that, shanahan is here now we don't need to be reminded of his boyfriend

Around the 0:18 mark when the two of them are posing for photos, I think it's funny how Avery is standing on his tippy toes and puffing out his chest while Shanny has a look like, "Is this over yet? Where's the beer?"

i think it beats all the alternatives, considering:

A: if they buy him out, it's something like 1.3 M spread out over 6 years and they have to pay him that money and it's a cap hit for the duration.

B: it might be very difficult to find an AHL team for him to play on, considering the Stars don't have an affiliate, and even if they did, I can't imagine having Sean Avery around is going to help them out.

C: i doubt very much, now that the stars have totally shot their bargaining position, that anyone is willing to take him on through regular waivers or a trade. the stars should explore a deal whereby they give up avery and a 2nd for a 3rd or something like that, but i doubt very much that anyone wants that $4m cap hit.

they save $8 million this way and lose a total of $2.5 million in cap space. I don't think it's even close.

Lets just go by his remaining 3 years at 12 mil.

Minor league rot: no cap hit, 4mil per year, 12mil lost. (who cares if they find a team? unless he has to actually be in the minors to come off the books)

Buyout: 1.33m cap hit 6 years, 1.33m per year 6 years, 8mil lost

Re-waiver claim: 2m cap hit 3 years, 2m per year 3 years, 6 mil lost

So yeah I guess fiscally it's the right choice but it still not an ideal cap situation either way. I would personally let the fvcker rot in the waiver abyss. Depends on the owners budget I guess.

Minor league rot: no cap hit, 4mil per year, 12mil lost. (who cares if they find a team? unless he has to actually be in the minors to come off the books)

So yeah I guess fiscally it's the right choice but it still not an ideal cap situation either way. I would personally let the fvcker rot in the waiver abyss. Depends on the owners budget I guess.

wait they have to pay him half the money? i thought not. but it looks like 50.9.g.ii of the CBA says it does. i thought they just had a 2m cap hit.

that's pretty nasty that it's for the entire duration of the contract.

Why? Because of spite? If the rangers want him, and it costs you 2 million over 3 years to get rid of him as opposed to 4 mill over 3 years, You're going to save yourself that money, and send him to NY.

wait they have to pay him half the money? i thought not. but it looks like 50.9.g.ii of the CBA says it does. i thought they just had a 2m cap hit.

that's pretty nasty that it's for the entire duration of the contract.

My understanding is that they have to pay half of Avery's salary, so 2 Million a year to have him play in NY.

Why? Because of spite? If the rangers want him, and it costs you 2 million over 3 years to get rid of him as opposed to 4 mill over 3 years, You're going to save yourself that money, and send him to NY.

My understanding is that they have to pay half of Avery's salary, so 2 Million a year to have him play in NY.

Not spite from like a Devils fan perspective, more like a disappointed owner who doesn't want a distraction to my team. A buyout or a claim from re-entry waivers means that he will take up some cap hit and I still have to pay him something for at least 3 years. If I let him rot away in the minors I have to pay a little more, but he doesn't effect my ability to sign new players.

Cap space is far more valuable then money if you have a competitive team. I really don't think it's a blink of an eye decision to save yourself 2 mil a year at the expense of 2mil in cap space.

Edited by squishyx

Not spite from like a Devils fan perspective, more like a disappointed owner who doesn't want a distraction to my team. A buyout or a claim from re-entry waivers means that he will take up some cap hit and I still have to pay him something for at least 3 years. If I let him rot away in the minors I have to pay a little more, but he doesn't effect my ability to sign new players.

Cap space is far more valuable then money if you have a competitive team. I really don't think it's a blink of an eye decision to save yourself 2 mil a year at the expense of 2mil in cap space.

yeah but i am not sure that you can pay him to just go away. you leave yourself open to a possible grievance from avery.