Nieds returning vs Pronger

ghdi

This is purely a speculatory thread based on two rumors. The Nieds rumor comes from our hated buddy, Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate). The Pronger one is from various sources naming the Devils as an interested party, including a recent Chere article. Throw out your ideas for which one you'd want and what you'd give.

Personally, I'd be happy with either. Nieds would be the much cheaper get as he's retiring after this season so the Ducks aren't really in a position to fleece anyone. As for Pronger, that would be a much more costly move. I'd say one of our better d-men, a prospect, and a pick gets that done.

I'm torn as to which one. I don't have animosity towards Nieds for his leaving, and part of me would love to see his final skate be with us. Pronger is a beast and has one more year on his deal. He's a 6.2 cap hit so obviously we'd not be bringing back a combo of our impending losses this offseason (Gionta, Oduya, Madden, Holik).

I'm tempted to push for Pronger, but I think Nieds is much safer because considering Pronger's fickleness towards where he plays, I doubt he stays any longer than his current contract.

Obviously, the Ducks have to tank it by the deadline for either of these to occur, but assuming they do, who do you go for?

It's a wash really. Pronger more dominant physically, Nieds a better skater. They both log a lot of ice time.

I'd take Niedermayer. Hopefully he leaves his stupid brother in Anaheim.

I agree that its basically a wash in the sense that both players are quality at what they bring to the ice, but I don't think its a wash in terms of what we'd have to give up. To get Pronger we'd have to give a lot more simply because he's definitely going to be around next season. Nieds is done regardless this spring and can be had cheaper.

Niedermayer. a) it would be cheaper to get him, b) he's an ex-Devil, so that makes bringing him more probable, c) he's not a cheap-shot artist

however, Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) is a moron and niether one of these scenarios seem remotely possible.

Well, it's not only Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate): I also read about that rumour on The Fourth Period. But I still don't believe it and I don't think either of these guys is going to New Jersey. Although I'd be delighted to see Nieds back!

Edited by Revan

Niedermayer. a) it would be cheaper to get him, b) he's an ex-Devil, so that makes bringing him more probable, c) he's not a cheap-shot artist

Well, it's not only Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate): I also read about that rumour on The Fourth Period. But I still don't believe it and I don't think either of these guys is going to New Jersey. Although I'd be delighted to see Nieds back!

TFP is so f'ed up for me.. none of those side links on the right (in blue) work when i go on their site.. i tried it on IE and FF. :blink:

ideal world, Pronger - the world where we don't have to worry about next year and somehow Pronger costs less because of it.

real world, the 1% chance we get Niedermayer.

the things that worry me about Niedermayer: he's a +11 in the 4 years since leaving New Jersey. For a supposed great defenseman on a solid team that's not too hot. He's also averaging a little less than a penalty minute a game, which means a lot of hooks and holds. He has 1 even strength goal since 2006-07.

Niedermayer's not retiring, and I doubt he's going anywhere.

People have to cut Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) some slack. Yeah his rumors rarely ever come true. But he really does have legit contacts and people do tell him this stuff... so he posts it to get reaction out of people.... Hockey fans eat rumors up.

He doens't make the stuff up. Some people around here have no idea how often trades are really discussed between GMs.

Not Pronger, I suspect that at this point, he's better than Nieds (at least more interested in playing a full season) but that's the reason he wouldn't be landing here. More bidders. Plus, I can see it, as soon as he lands in NJ, Campbell actually starts suspending him for the cr*p on the ice (which he does deserve).

I doubt Nieds is going anywhere either and he seems to really like the West coast (when he wants to play) however, I could live with a short reunion. It would absolutely be an upgrade. Although he's not what he was when he was here, even "older, lesser Nieds" is better than some of our d-men.

Neids. We can't have Pronger's contract for 2 more years. If we get Pronger, we lose Zajac, Oduya, Gionta, Madden, and Holik. Not to mention what we trade to get him either.

Not necessarily true. We're almost 3 mil under the cap at the moment and its likely to go up again. Gionta is 4, Oduya is less than 1, Madden 2.5, and Holik 2.5. Zajac and Oduya are obviously due raises. Yes, we will most certainly lose minimum two of those guys with Gionta most likely being one of them, but I don't see all of them being lost. There's other ways that salary can be cut as well and we know how crafty Lou can be. Irregardless, if this deal went down, its almost a lock that the Ducks would want a D-man in return (for Pronger) since if they dealt him they'd have literally no d-men signed for next season.

The source for the Pronger rumor is Chere, not Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate). Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) and TFP are the ones talking Niedermayer and undoubtedly Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) stole the Nieds rumor from them :giggle:

People have to cut Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) some slack. Yeah his rumors rarely ever come true. But he really does have legit contacts and people do tell him this stuff... so he posts it to get reaction out of people.... Hockey fans eat rumors up.

He doens't make the stuff up. Some people around here have no idea how often trades are really discussed between GMs.

Number of Incorrect Rumors to date: 223

Number of Correct Rumors to date: 9

Success Rate as of January 2008: 3.8%

He doesn't? :giggle: Go to the link below and read Egg on his face and the Wall of shame, and just read any "review" of him on Sportsnet at the deadline a few years ago. Sure, the guy definitely has some contacts, but he's way more wrong than right. He's been accused and proven to be a plagiarizer multiple times as well.

Anyone who even remotely sticks up for Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) and his crap should read this http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com, plus you get to see his stupid rumor chart for free there. I read Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate), but purely for entertainment and talking points. I take absolutely 0 stock in anything he says.

The douchebag has AVERY coming to us.

Edited by ghdi

Not necessarily true. We're almost 3 mil under the cap at the moment and its likely to go up again. Gionta is 4, Oduya is less than 1, Madden 2.5, and Holik 2.5. Zajac and Oduya are obviously due raises. Yes, we will most certainly lose minimum two of those guys with Gionta most likely being one of them, but I don't see all of them being lost. There's other ways that salary can be cut as well and we know how crafty Lou can be. Irregardless, if this deal went down, its almost a lock that the Ducks would want a D-man in return (for Pronger) since if they dealt him they'd have literally no d-men signed for next season.

Honestly, it is true. I've broke it down through excel and word on my own bored time, and it's going to be a tight squeze WITHOUT Pronger AND Gionta.

Zajac will get around 3M, Oduya 3-3.5M, Holik coming back for 1.75M, Madden 2.5M, Salmela .8M, Rupp .6M. Then you add in Bergfors and Halischuk (who may or may not be ready) to replace Gionta and Pandolfo.

That's 53.04M for the above roster. Basicly just substituting for gionta and pandolfo. *the total cap hit includes pandolfo and if we could move him this summer it would allow us a pretty big signing. Otherwise that's give or take 4M to add somebody and a back up goalie.

That's also assuming that every single one of these guys is brought back. Holik and Madden are not locks. Oduya is not a lock and neither is Gionta. The only one I see as a lock is Zajac. The roster could be very different next season if a guy like Pronger is brought in to anchor the D-corps. You also neglect what could be going to Anaheim in return for Pronger. There would be a roster player involved and IMO it would probably be a D-man, most likely Martin or another guy not named Greene or Oduya. The deal wouldnt be a picks/prospects only deal. Anaheim has nothing on D signed next season if Pronger is moved.

I don't see it happening (Pronger), but there are realistic ways to make it work.

Edited by ghdi

I think if there was any way a trade was happening with Anaheim for anyone that Sheldon Brookbank would have been included in a larger deal.

I don't think we have what it takes to get either, and I'd bet Scotty isn't interested (his said as much).

Now, you can site all you want the "NJ standard of excellence" and winning, but he gets to run his own ship out here with lil' Rob...I can't see him giving all that up for the rigid rules (albeit helpful) and on/off ice discipline that is Lou's Rules.

Sorry guys, put away the Neiderboner!

i think neither are at all a possibility because of what it would cost to get either.

the devils cannot afford to deal martin or zajac and for an elite defenseman, the ducks will want one.

oduya could go - he's a UFA so there's no guarantee that he'll resign here, but he's one of those guys that means more to NJ than other teams.

unless anaheim wants a corrente/bergfors/1st for one of them (which i don't think they do), the devils don't match.

oh, and Zajac will get a 4/16 deal this offseason - same as Staal.

oh, and Zajac will get a 4/16 deal this offseason - same as Staal.

I'm not so sure about that. I would think Lou points to the 3.1M cap hit of Parise and no way it could be much more if any, than that. Maybe something like 2M first year, 2.5M the following, 3M, 3.5M, 4M. 5 years with a 3M cap hit. Hopefully at least.

Pronger has another year at which point he'll be the highest cap hit on the team barring any cap assistance from Anaheim. Even if you could get Pronger without trading much, it most likely means that two out the three of Madden, Gionta and Oduya will not be resigned. That may be the case anyway, but I'd rather either use that cap money with a chance to land Bowmeister.

If you can do it without giving much up of significance, Nieds would be great. I imagine he has a no trade clause though and won't be going anywhere.