Anyone else not really feeling Clemmer?

Blown01NJ

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only idiots I've come across who think that way, regarding Marty, are (SURPRISE!) some Ranger fans. But they're the same ones who've always downplayed what Marty's accomplished through the years, so no shock there. Trust me...most people (especially the intelligent ones) know how great Marty's been through the years, and he has all of the hardware to prove it.

I'm curious to see what happens with Clemmy next year, if he gets a shot with another team, and how much GMs think he's worth.

Ty Conklin is probably the best comparison at this point in terms of salary. Just off the top of my head St Louis, Edmonton, Colorado and Nashville would all seem to be situations where he could sign and at least compete for #1 playing time. He's also the type of guy who could at least be a mentor for a team bringing along a young goalie if the #1 spot doesn't work out.

On a side note, it's a shame Brodeur got injured this year. With the numbers the other big name goalies are putting up, he would have almost been guaranteed another Vezina.

Im sure a team like the Avalanche or Ottawa, who are in desperate need of goaltending would take a shot at him, just because he should come cheap and the numbers he has put up have hopefully earned him another stint in the NHL.

If things change around the Devils team and Marty is no longer getting 70 games a year then who knows he might still be wearing the Red, White and Black.

Ottawa is another good one for Clemmer.

Edited by PhillyDevil

Weekes should have started against Florida....and alot more teams

Of course.

Because out of the whopping 11 losses the Devils have suffered in their last 42 games, nearly all of them could have been prevented if Weekes had just started a lot more games.

Ty Conklin is probably the best comparison at this point in terms of salary. Just off the top of my head St Louis, Edmonton, Colorado and Nashville would all seem to be situations where he could sign and at least compete for #1 playing time. He's also the type of guy who could at least be a mentor for a team bringing along a young goalie if the #1 spot doesn't work out.

On a side note, it's a shame Brodeur got injured this year. With the numbers the other big name goalies are putting up, he would have almost been guaranteed another Vezina.

Ottawa is another good one for Clemmer.

I guess it depends on whether or not other GMs are buying what Clemmer's done, or see what Chimaira has: an average player having a one-time, above average year. I think he'll probably get a one-year deal where he'll get a chance to compete, and if he succeeds he'll be a bargain. I can't see him getting much more than $2 million, unless some GM thinks what he's done can be expected year in and year out.

Of course.

Because out of the whopping 11 losses the Devils have suffered in their last 42 games, nearly all of them could have been prevented if Weekes had just started a lot more games.

Clemmensen has an incredib;e record. No one can ever deny that, but won't you admit that the record is more to do with the Devils playing the best hockey in I don't remember how long. Chris Osgood also has an incredible record. These aren't the same type of games that the Devils played when they won 8-11 games in a row in the past years with scores like 2-1 or 3-2 each night.

I see a goalie who has done a fine job, but has never seen more luck in his life. Last night was the perfect example of the luck running dry for him. Those big rebounds that are a nightly occurence actually went to the other team instead of the Devils defensemen getting their first. He is 3-1 when he lets in 5 goals.

With that being said...these arguments become irrelevant now with Marty coming back. And I am not a Clemmensen hater at all. I know that may seem hard to believe. I am rooting for him every game and excited for him after every win. I am just trying to be realistic here.

i tried it once last year and hated it

Thank god I don't have an addictive personality... I've tried dip, ciggs, the pesky stuff that grows in your driveway that you need to pull every now and then, and I can't get into any of it. Just nto for me...

I could always go for some drinks, a cigar, and the occassional assembly of the hookah that's in my closet.

Clemmensen has an incredible record. No one can ever deny that, but won't you admit that the record is more to do with the Devils playing the best hockey in I don't remember how long. Chris Osgood also has an incredible record. These aren't the same type of games that the Devils played when they won 8-11 games in a row in the past years with scores like 2-1 or 3-2 each night.

I see a goalie who has done a fine job, but has never seen more luck in his life. Last night was the perfect example of the luck running dry for him. Those big rebounds that are a nightly occurence actually went to the other team instead of the Devils defensemen getting their first. He is 3-1 when he lets in 5 goals.

With that being said...these arguments become irrelevant now with Marty coming back. And I am not a Clemmensen hater at all. I know that may seem hard to believe. I am rooting for him every game and excited for him after every win. I am just trying to be realistic here.

Here's my whole take on Clemmy. Yeah, he's got a team that's played well in front of him. No, he's not Brodeur. No, no he's not perfect. But I wasn't expecting him to be. All I wanted (more like hoped for) was either Clemmy, Weekes, or some combination of the two to do the job well enough that the team would find itself in playoff contention when Marty was ready to come back. They've both done that and exceeded it, and Clemmy did it well enough that his numbers (GAA, save%) haven't just been competent or acceptable...they've actually been very good, especially when weighed against the expectations. If on the day Marty got hurt and someone said to us, "After a 4-game losing streak, your team is going to go 30-11-1" we never would have believed that, or even though it remotely possible. Clemmy's obviously not the sole reason, but he's clearly contributed, and just the fact that he played well enough so that Lou didn't have to cough up an asset to bring in someone else speaks volumes.

For some reason along the way, some fans started picking Clemmy apart, and then Sutter as well...as though every loss could have been different if Weekes had been playing in net, or making it sound like Clemmer had been the sole recipient of luck, luck, and more luck. Like I said, I never claimed that Clemmy's perfect, but with the standards he's been getting held to lately, it just sounds to me like the guy is underappreciated (as is Sutter, who has not only successfully changed the Devils' style of play, but has kept the ship together when so many thought it was already sunk). Some people are even trying to read into his quotes and make him sound like a bad guy now.

Welcome.

No offense.

Take a second to actually READ the board regarding the topic you posted and you'll probably get the sarcasm.

Ive read this board for a while, but I got frustrated with it when registering a year ago didnt work (never got activated) and I emailed as many contacts as I could find and never got a response.

I finally tried again the other day and it worked.

As far as reposting a Clemmensen debate, I didnt see anything on the first couple pages about it so I posted it. :whistling:

Ive read this board for a while, but I got frustrated with it when registering a year ago didnt work (never got activated) and I emailed as many contacts as I could find and never got a response.

I finally tried again the other day and it worked.

As far as reposting a Clemmensen debate, I didnt see anything on the first couple pages about it so I posted it. :whistling:

Reading ANY game thread would have shown you the Clemmer debates at least.

Welcome sir.

We should all go out to dinner now.

Reading ANY game thread would have shown you the Clemmer debates at least.

Welcome sir.

We should all go out to dinner now.

Well, having suffered through this whole thread, I for one am glad that Andrew and his crew are here to police the site. Rather than just ignore threads they don't want to get into, they waste everyone's time by posting drivel. Thanks for that.

Let's all read every game thread to see what's been posted in the 20 or so pages they comprise before starting a new conversation on a topic.

You know, a forum is kind of like a lunchroom (I'm sure you remember those, it wasn't too long ago). Different people may want to have different conversations. If you don't like the conversation in this thread, go find another one.

Oh, and most restaurant squid is previously frozen crap . . .

- Jeff

Well, having suffered through this whole thread, I for one am glad that Andrew and his crew are here to police the site. Rather than just ignore threads they don't want to get into, they waste everyone's time by posting drivel. Thanks for that.

Let's all read every game thread to see what's been posted in the 20 or so pages they comprise before starting a new conversation on a topic.

You know, a forum is kind of like a lunchroom (I'm sure you remember those, it wasn't too long ago). Different people may want to have different conversations. If you don't like the conversation in this thread, go find another one.

- Jeff

Yup, let's :horse: because a newbie hasn't discussed it with us yet.

- Jeff

Nice to meet you? Thanks for calling me out. Although it makes me sound important.

-Andrew (definitely cool to sign your name like it's a letter.)

Edited by njdevil26

But it is cool to have your name and AIM in your sig? :lol: seems like a weird thing to try and bust his chops on.

But it's a constant. I'm not going to post and be like :

Blah blah blah played great, Greene played terrible... so i.m. me so we can talk about it! Here's my contact info!

And overall I'm just messing w/ the guy. I hope my picking on him for something that's not a big deal lets him know that I'm not being serious.

Just don't know why I was singled out lol.

But it's a constant. I'm not going to post and be like :

Blah blah blah played great, Greene played terrible... so i.m. me so we can talk about it! Here's my contact info!

And overall I'm just messing w/ the guy. I hope my picking on him for something that's not a big deal lets him know that I'm not being serious.

Just don't know why I was singled out lol.

Cause you started the calamari comments? :P