GDT: 2/19/09. New Jersey @ Tampa Bay 7:30 PM.

SatansDevils

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weekes was nasty in this game. Yeah he flubbed the 2nd goal but he was there and made the big saves when the team really needed him.

As for Salmela, the kid has some skills but he just doesn't seem ready yet. He is exciting to watch but he just doesn't seem to have that control in the defensive end. It was only his first game back but from what he showed tonight it doesn't look like he is going to be the answer.

Anssi was not great, but I don't know if I'd say he was terrible. He showed his ability to transition from defense to offense, and he has a good sense of when to join the rush. At times he can be a little irresponsible in the defensive zone, but that's characteristic of almost any young defenseman. If he continues to work with Stevens and company, I think he'll be able to fix that problem.

it goes beyond youth. why was he playing so close to the boards in the 3rd period and overtime when malone and recchi were coming into the zone? where the hell was he playing when tampa had a 3 on 2 very early in the game? he was way out of position - had weekes let up a rebound, salmela was nowhere near the man. and on one scramble in the third, he kept switching where he was positioned when the lightning had the puck behind the net - except that no one was switching with him, which basically led him to leave an area very open.

i think he's very good with the puck. it's without the puck where he needs to improve. i don't think it'll happen this season, and it's far from impossible that after working some things out, he comes back next year and is an effective player. but there's a lot of work that still needs to be done here.

Anssi was not great, but I don't know if I'd say he was terrible. He showed his ability to transition from defense to offense, and he has a good sense of when to join the rush. At times he can be a little irresponsible in the defensive zone, but that's characteristic of almost any young defenseman. If he continues to work with Stevens and company, I think he'll be able to fix that problem.

I agree with your take. It also appeared that he was a bit nervous out there sometimes, leading to his indecisiveness in his own end. I think once he calms down and gains confidence, then he has a real shot of staying with the team. I'd like to see him get a steady string of games to develop some confidence and apply what he has learned, however, that has to wait till next year.

Nice come from behind win for the Devils tonight. Get the 2-points anyway they can.

I thought Salmela had a good game and he has that deadly shot that hopefully can find the net and he would be playing a lot more for Sutter. Salmela for his first game back in a while did pretty well. No comment on Mottau. Both goals were bad tonight especially that second one by Weekes, but he bounced back with a stong game after that. It was a little nerve racking late in the 3rd as Tampa bay was putting the pressure on.

Gutsy performance by Parise and Zajac in this game. Parise out the whole 2nd making Devils fans worry about what the hell was wrong with him and then comes back in the 3rd to score the game tying PP goal, his 35th of the season, as Zajac got the main assist off his face and lip that looked nasty with the stitches. Weekes made some key saves in that 3rd period and the PK was huge in the last 2-minutes of regulation. the team didn't quit and it was a nice come from behind win for the Devils tonight on the road.

Now 5-0 in GDT :koolaid: and a win the Devils needed to have after that bad game in Florida. On to Long Island for the NYI on Saturday where there will be a lot of Devils fans in attendance.

Nice come from behind win for the Devils tonight. Get the 2-points anyway they can.

I thought Salmela had a good game and he has that deadly shot that hopefully can find the net and he would be playing a lot more for Sutter. Salmela for his first game back in a while did pretty well. No comment on Mottau. Both goals were bad tonight especially that second one by Weekes, but he bounced back with a stong game after that. It was a little nerve racking late in the 3rd as Tampa bay was putting the pressure on.

Gutsy performance by Parise and Zajac in this game. Parise out the whole 2nd making Devils fans worry about what the hell was wrong with him and then comes back in the 3rd to score the game tying PP goal, his 35th of the season, as Zajac got the main assist off his face and lip that looked nasty with the stitches. Weekes made some key saves in that 3rd period and the PK was huge in the last 2-minutes of regulation. the team didn't quit and it was a nice come from behind win for the Devils tonight on the road.

Now 5-0 in GDT :koolaid: and a win the Devils needed to have after that bad game in Florida. On to Long Island for the NYI on Saturday where there will be a lot of Devils fans in attendance.

Only 1 little mention of Weekes?! If this were Clemmer your whole post would be about him!

I agree with your take. It also appeared that he was a bit nervous out there sometimes, leading to his indecisiveness in his own end. I think once he calms down and gains confidence, then he has a real shot of staying with the team. I'd like to see him get a steady string of games to develop some confidence and apply what he has learned, however, that has to wait till next year.

And the feeling of nervousness is completely understandable. When Martin comes back, we'll have 3 D-men fighting for 1 spot, and this was Salmela's first game in a while.

As you said, once he becomes a regular with experience it will be exciting to see what he can do.

It wasn't pretty but atleast we got the 2 points. I liked what Chico said in the post game about that this is good for the team to learn how to win games like this. So is it Clemmer or Weekes on saturday?

I think it depends on whether Clemmer has the flu or not, some people over on HF thought they saw him stumbling away from the bench in the third period. I wouldn't be shocked if the Sharks gave half the team the flu :P

I think it depends on whether Clemmer has the flu or not, some people over on HF thought they saw him stumbling away from the bench in the third period. I wouldn't be shocked if the Sharks gave half the team the flu :P

12 minutes or so left in the 3rd. look by the Zamboni doors and you'll see Clemmer heading to the back. Elias looked sick when they showed him between OT/SO, like he was gonna pop and :puke: all over himself. Man, I love that smiley.