What Happened to Brian Gionta?

RockingTheRed81

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

...He had a goal a couple games ago. He's just in a funk that he gets into very often, and was in basically all last season. Sutter shuffled the lines tonight because of Parise being sick so the chemistry was all outta whack. I like Gio, but he isn't making a very good case these days for being re-signed.

I think he misses a playmaking center. Zubrus is a good center provided that his wingers have natural talent and can fend for themselves. Gionta doesn't have the raw talent of someone like Patrik Elias.

Gionta would excel if he had Gomez or Crosby on his line... or someone similar.

I guess all the smart defensive plays he made this game don't count for anything. He may not be scoring like he has in the past but to expect anywhere close to his 06 season isn't being realistic. The whole league had inflated stats that year. I think he is probably capable of scoring more goals then he has this season but he has been a good player for us this year regardless. His salary unfortunately makes him an easy target.

Maybe he just had 1 big year and he's not a 90 point man, maybe he's just a 45 point guy and we are expecting too much from him? He did have his best year at an ideal time, now it's time for him to be paid like a 45 point guy....

Ding ding ding!!!!

Although, I still think under the right circumstances, he can be a consistent 30-35 goal guy. I wouldn't be shocked to see Pittsburgh sign him, or any team with a lonely play-making center for that matter.

Remember, Scott Gomez 'wasn't being used correctly' in Jersey. Maybe some teams feel the same about Gio.

Maybe he just had 1 big year and he's not a 90 point man, maybe he's just a 45 point guy and we are expecting too much from him? He did have his best year at an ideal time, now it's time for him to be paid like a 45 point guy....

:lol: Gio is a 45 point guy that has 45 points in 57 games.

I think he misses a playmaking center. Zubrus is a good center provided that his wingers have natural talent and can fend for themselves. Gionta doesn't have the raw talent of someone like Patrik Elias.

Gionta would excel if he had Gomez or Crosby on his line... or someone similar.

Definitely. Look at his 48 goal season.

This year all he does is skate wide into the zone and blast a shot into the goalie's chest.

I wouldn't be surprised if he lands on the Penguins next year, he's exactly what Pittsburgh is missing. He is fast and excels with a playmaking center. Also he is good defensively and has plenty of experience. But yeah I don't think he is a bad player but he doesn't necessarily fit the current mold of this Devils team.

Ding ding ding!!!!

Although, I still think under the right circumstances, he can be a consistent 30-35 goal guy. I wouldn't be shocked to see Pittsburgh sign him, or any team with a lonely play-making center for that matter.

Remember, Scott Gomez 'wasn't being used correctly' in Jersey. Maybe some teams feel the same about Gio.

I would agree if he wasn't getting chances. But he has, and he flat-out doesn't convert them. This is really nothing new with Gio either...in his first 90 games post-lockout, he scored 55 goals; since then, he's put in 53 over 194 GP. He tries hard and he's likable, but that just isn't enough for a guy that doesn't bring that much to the table overall.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I would agree if he wasn't getting chances. But he has, and he flat-out doesn't convert them. This is really nothing new with Gio either...in his first 90 games post-lockout, he scored 55 goals; since then, he's put in 53 over 194 GP. He tries hard and he's likable, but that just isn't enough for a guy that doesn't bring that much to the table overall.

True, he doesn't bring much. And it's mostly because he doesn't always play the way that best fits him. Most of his goals are from going to the net, and he just doesn't do that as much anymore.

Look at Parise. He's scoring all those old Gio-type goals right now. He's going hard to the net, and getting the dirty goals and the rebounds. Of course, he also has way better hands.

I think he's tired of getting beat up. He's lost his hunger for the net.

He's in front of the net all the time. Just not on the PP which is where a lot of his goals came from. The last 2 years he's been on the halfboards because Sutter prefers bigger players to play the slot on the PP and the Devils didn't have any better options to play the halfboards if they put Elias on the other PP unit.

Gio is:

5th on the team in goals

5th on the team in assists

4th on the team in production

for the 7th highest scoring offense in the league. This thread is a complaint thread about a guy in the top 60 in the NHL in points.

The offensive impact of Gionta, Zajac, and Langenbrunner are pretty similar for this years team, especially when you consider TOI and which PP units the guys are on.

This is easily stacking up as Gionta's 2nd best year in his career.

731 - this is not a better year than his 2006-07. you do realize your arguments re: his production are buoyed by the rest of the team's production, right? adjusted for a league average offense, gionta's numbers aren't that great. and i don't even know if these assist numbers will stick permanently in his game when he hopefully departs in the off-season.

731 - this is not a better year than his 2006-07. you do realize your arguments re: his production are buoyed by the rest of the team's production, right? adjusted for a league average offense, gionta's numbers aren't that great. and i don't even know if these assist numbers will stick permanently in his game when he hopefully departs in the off-season.

It'll be a better year because he isn't going to be hurt and miss a quarter of it. Knock on wood. He was also a minus player in 06-07 while he looks to be comfortably plus this year.

His goals vs. assists numbers have everything to do with his role on the PP. He is being given an assist position right now on the halfboards rather than a goal scoring positioning in front of the net. It's no coincidence his PP goals went down with Sutter while his PP assists went up.

If we're going to say team offense brings everyone up then the Devils are only having 2 players with good offensive years and the rest of the team needs a complaint thread offensively?

Elias had 42 even strength points to Gionta's 35 even strength points. Lang's is 37 to Gio's 35. Zajac is 37 to Gio's 35. If you factor out the PP time the scoring still looks pretty even between the latter 2, certainly not enough to say the latter 2 are playing nice offense while Gio has disappeared.

Edited by Devils731

Gio had a career year, he'll never come close again. The problem with Devil fans as we still look at him as he's a 48 goal scorer and that's what we'd want in return - not going to happen.

I don't think that's true...I think most of us knew that Gio was having a freak kind of season. I think most of us (I know I was) were hoping he could become a perennial 30-goal scorer though. At the rate he's going he may not even reach 20 this season.

For a guy who is on the 2nd line, and 2nd PP and sees no PK time, he is doing phenomenal. He's just an easy scape goat.

You're right. Four goals in 29 games is phenomenal production for a 2nd-liner.

And who here is "scapegoating" him exactly? Scapegoating him for what? It can't be for losing, because the Devils certainly haven't been doing much of that. I think those here who are criticizing him would simply like to see him cash in on his opportunities more. He simply doesn't do that enough. He's flown under the radar somewhat because the Devils have been winning, but heaven forbid the ZZPop line ever goes cold, the Devils are going to need him to start putting some home here and there. Based on what you've seen do you feel confident that he could step up if needed? I sure don't.

You're right. Four goals in 29 games is phenomenal production for a 2nd-liner.

And who here is "scapegoating" him exactly? Scapegoating him for what? It can't be for losing, because the Devils certainly haven't been doing much of that. I think those here who are criticizing him would simply like to see him cash in on his opportunities more. He simply doesn't do that enough. He's flown under the radar somewhat because the Devils have been winning, but heaven forbid the ZZPop line ever goes cold, the Devils are going to need him to start putting some home here and there. Based on what you've seen do you feel confident that he could step up if needed? I sure don't.

If the criteria is goals scored lately then do we need a Zajac thread for having 2 goals in his last 14? That a goal every 7 games to Gio's goal every 7.25 games.

I don't think Gio had flown under the radar, he's had complaint threads about him for the past 2 seasons. This year people can only focus on his goal production to complain about him so they do, while ignoring his efficiency in production and playmaking this season.