Zubrus

TomsRiverDevil

He works hard but sometimes doesn't have a lot to show for it.

He has the skillset the team was missing when we signed him and i think the hopw was he would be putting up Zajac numbers preforming a slightly different role.

He is a good player he just needs to pick up the production again.

He reminds me of a slightly more talented Rupp. If Lou can move him he will.

No he won't. Lou is a patient GM, and unlike most fans, understands that it is all about winning the cup, not putting up numbers. Zubrus is one of the larger (size) players on the team, and let's be honest, with the roles Zajac, Langs, Parise, and Elias have placed themselves within, Zubrus is a secondary, support player. In the playoffs, he'll be the guy to look to if the key offensive guys are shut down, same with Rolston. This is a deep team and not every player is going to put up 80 points. The one season Zubrus scored 60 pts passing to Ovechkin was obviously a one-time thing. He may be a 50-point player in the long run, but maybe not.

When Arnott first got traded to NJ, I remember he did very little in his first partial season, but then obviously developed into a key member of our success and cup winning. Zubrus won't be able to do that, but as I said, he's a complimentary player. So long as NJ has all the depth that it does, this will continue, and I can't imagine him being traded. He's signed for a while and it's not as if other teams will be asking for him.

Hey all-

First and foremost, let me say I am a Zubie fan. I live in DC and am a CAPS fan also. Since he is no longer with the CAPS, I still follow his career closely which has lead me to be a closet Devs fan. However, I will be the first one to say, this is what you get with him. On the nights he uses his frame effectively, he can be a VERY GOOD wing and a GOOD Center. There will be these lulls in production and effectiveness though. They can be frustrating to endure. Hence him bouncing from team to team like he has in his career. GMs love the size and skill set, they just don't always translate on a nightly basis. When he arrived to the CAPS he was a natural RW. CAPS management converted him to center because the team was lacking at center. I still think he is best served at wing, but what do I know?? :rolleyes:

With all that said, he looks like he is injured, to a degree. Even during his lulls, he usually plays pretty hard and I'm not saying he isn't currently, but he looks off a bit.

Ok, sorry for the long read. You guys have a great forum here. MUCH better than a few other teams' boards.

Derek

The problem with Zurbrus is his salary. True, the Devils don't appear to "need" him to put up 70 to 80 points, and perhaps he does fill an important role. However, seems to me there are lots of players who can do what Zubrus does for about half his salary.

In a salary cap world, one overpriced player can be the difference in landing a unique player when you need one. There's this other team that I'm thinking of that has more than one overpriced player that's now having a lot trouble going out and making necessary additions. Who is it again?

All I know, that this little slump is temporal. Maybe that injury had an impact... Gionta is also playing poorly now, but I'm sure, this line will be one of the most important things when PO starts. Earlye in the season they proved,that can be powerful, now they have a down time, but better now, than later... Good luck

The problem with Zurbrus is his salary. True, the Devils don't appear to "need" him to put up 70 to 80 points, and perhaps he does fill an important role. However, seems to me there are lots of players who can do what Zubrus does for about half his salary.

name them. i see nikolai antropov. and that's about it. that's not saying that zubrus's skill set is particularly valuable, or that he's even been good this year. but he can play all three forward positions, is much bigger than the average player, plays well along the boards, and is an above-average passer. there are not many players for whom this is true.

name them. i see nikolai antropov. and that's about it. that's not saying that zubrus's skill set is particularly valuable, or that he's even been good this year. but he can play all three forward positions, is much bigger than the average player, plays well along the boards, and is an above-average passer. there are not many players for whom this is true.

I am not a big Zubrus fan, but his style is built for the playoffs. Maybe Sutter should rest him for a bit so he can back to his game from earlier in the season.

The most pleasant surprise with Zubrus has been, by far, his ability to stay healthy. That was a serious issue for him before he became a Devil.

I think if you could corner Lou and get him to admit what he'd hoped for upon signing Zubrus, he'd probably tell you he would've liked some more offense...maybe 20+ goals and 50-60 points. It looks like 50 is going to be his top end in a very good year, but I'd say 35-45 (with 10-15 goals) is much more realistic.

I can live with that as long as he's using his size and winning board battles and doing the kinds of things that don't show up on scoresheets, but like Tri noted, when he gets beaten by Hedjuk for the puck that's when the aggravation starts to set in.

name them. i see nikolai antropov.

that is EXACTLY who i saw. i know i should have said it earlier, but if the leafs are smart, he's on the market. he's a UFA and would be something that teams would want.

the fact that i haven't heard much about it actually gives more credence to the idea that he could be dealt.

he isn't as physical as zubrus to be sure, but has better hands. that being said, he's a winger and not a center which is what the devils need if they're trying to change the top line.

The most pleasant surprise with Zubrus has been, by far, his ability to stay healthy. That was a serious issue for him before he became a Devil.

I think if you could corner Lou and get him to admit what he'd hoped for upon signing Zubrus, he'd probably tell you he would've liked some more offense...maybe 20+ goals and 50-60 points. It looks like 50 is going to be his top end in a very good year, but I'd say 35-45 (with 10-15 goals) is much more realistic.

I can live with that as long as he's using his size and winning board battles and doing the kinds of things that don't show up on scoresheets, but like Tri noted, when he gets beaten by Hedjuk for the puck that's when the aggravation starts to set in.

Rockies-

Great point. While with the Caps and others, he never put in a full 82 game season. He came close, but always had nagging injuries. I still feel that is some of the issue now (the wrist, or something unknown).

I don't think Zubrus is the weak link on that line. I think it's Gionta. Zubrus is great a getting the pucks out of the corners and fighting along the walls and Elias is great at holding onto the puck and dishing it out, we need a trigger man which is why I would want Rolston on the right wing where he would be used more effectively.

But back to the topic at hand, I think Zubrus has been playing well even if the numbers don't show. I think he has been above average in our own zone.

As much as I like Zubie, he turned his 2 seasons with Ovechkin into his current contract. That and he played well for Buffalo on his little run with them in the playoffs of 06/07. Granted, he didn't score a goal for them in the playoffs, but on quite a few nights, he was there best forward.

Zubrus has all the skills to be a perennial 30 goal scorer. But for whatever reason, he just hasn't. He has a great wrist shot, and certainly can skate. I like Zubrus a lot, but right about now, Gomez looks so good in between Elias and Gio.

Not at all, Gomez is a lazy bum. Gionta may have done better with Gomez centering him but not so much Elias.

Another one that comes to mind is Radek Bonk. Makes $2 million + per year less than Zubrus. I'll concede Zubrus is the better player, but I think Bonk could more or less step into Zubrus' role if necessary. And like I said, if the cap space you save could be the difference in landing a Bowmeester type in free agency, it's a no-brainer. In other words, who would you rather have, Bonk/Bowmeester or Zubrus/Andy Greene. Again, with a hard salary cap, you have to think of potential alternatives that have been made impracticable as a result of signing someone else.