Zubrus

TomsRiverDevil

In other words, who would you rather have, Bonk/Bowmeester or Zubrus/Andy Greene.

this is a false dichotomy for one, and for two, radek bonk? bonk's playoff performance notwithstanding, a wretched 12 goals in 73 games, bonk hasn't had 30 points since the lockout and isn't likely to get 30 this season. he's nowhere near as strong on the boards and he can't dominate games like zubrus can when he's at the top of his game. plus i don't think he can play right wing. i don't even think it's close between these two.

i'd be surprised if radek bonk is in the league next year.

when the devils signed zubrus, they had no alternatives. they almost had to sign him.

Another one that comes to mind is Radek Bonk. Makes $2 million + per year less than Zubrus. I'll concede Zubrus is the better player, but I think Bonk could more or less step into Zubrus' role if necessary.

uh, no peg.

look, i was the first person to bring up acquiring bonk b/c i think he's a much better 4th line alternative than rupp or pando in the playoffs and can win faceoffs - something the devils are hurting in. its a reason i always wanted yanic perrault at the deadline as well. perhaps i overrate faceoffs, but whatever.

zubrus is considerably better than bonk and replacing him with an average player (and that is what bonk is) puts a hole in the devils lineup. if zubrus' contract was the reason that oduya goes then that's something else. but the $2MM difference (at absolute most) between zubrus and the guy replacing him on the roster will not get a better defenseman in here.

look, zubrus is not a number one center. he's a 2nd line guy on a good team and a 3rd liner on a great team. that's what he's been doing with the devils.

my point is, for this year and this run, i'd like the devils to take the shot and a guy like antropov or some other top line forward (preferably a center) would catapult this team to prohibitive favorites (assuming of course they also got ANY defensive upgrade from Andy Greene).

I honestly think Zubrus is one of the players who is playing banged up. I know Weekes mentioned there were a few players who he could not name. He just doesn't seem like he could handle the boards battles as well as he has normally. When he's playing well offensively, he's the one who gives Gionta and Elias the room to create chances by winning the boards battles and maintaining control of the puck. I know Doc Emrick would frequently mix Zubs up with Parise, and I know their numbers could be mistaken for each other, but I think its mainly because he has the same work ethic on his fore-check. And though he hasn't been playing his best games offensively lately, he's still playing very sound defensively. In many cases, the team would not have broken up the opposing teams fore-check and made it out of the defensive zone if it weren't for him. I wouldn't underestimate his importance to this team.

His contract could be another story though.

Edited by The Facepainter

this is a false dichotomy for one, and for two, radek bonk? bonk's playoff performance notwithstanding, a wretched 12 goals in 73 games, bonk hasn't had 30 points since the lockout and isn't likely to get 30 this season. he's nowhere near as strong on the boards and he can't dominate games like zubrus can when he's at the top of his game. plus i don't think he can play right wing. i don't even think it's close between these two.

i'd be surprised if radek bonk is in the league next year.

when the devils signed zubrus, they had no alternatives. they almost had to sign him.

I see this thread about being whether Zubrus has been worth it, not whether he can or should be replaced at this point. And as I see it, he's overpaid compared to his performance. I bring up a guy like Bonk, simply because I think he could more or less do just as well playing alongside Elias as Zubrus. With that saved cap space, you can go for broke on a truly great player, or simply make sure you have the cap space to lock up your career players. The reason why the Rangers are in all likelihood going to be a very mediocre team for the next few years isn't because Gomez, Drury, Redden and Rosival are BAD players, it's that they're OVERPAID players.

In the end though, Zubrus is not the huge albatross that other free agent signings have been. I just think the money spent on him would have been better served elsewhere.

I see this thread about being whether Zubrus has been worth it, not whether he can or should be replaced at this point. And as I see it, he's overpaid compared to his performance. I bring up a guy like Bonk, simply because I think he could more or less do just as well playing alongside Elias as Zubrus. With that saved cap space, you can go for broke on a truly great player, or simply make sure you have the cap space to lock up your career players. The reason why the Rangers are in all likelihood going to be a very mediocre team for the next few years isn't because Gomez, Drury, Redden and Rosival are BAD players, it's that they're OVERPAID players.

Redden is legitimately bad - or at least he was pre-Tortorella.

But yes, I understand your point. My point was simply that the Devils didn't have a chocie - they desperately needed someone with size up front. And Zubrus is a much better two-way player than Radek Bonk, who again, I will be shocked to see in an NHL uniform next season.

In the end though, Zubrus is not the huge albatross that other free agent signings have been. I just think the money spent on him would have been better served elsewhere.

and i very much disagree with this. coming out of 2007, the devils clearly had problems along the boards, constantly getting beat, and being unable to establish a forecheck. zubrus has helped on that front - so too has the development of parise, zajac, and clarkson. and zubrus can always be a shutdown center if that's what you ask him to do - he'll take too many minor penalties, but he will get the job done aside from that. my point is that unless zubrus's effort is flagging, it's hard for tihs contract to be outright terrible, as he can fill in just about anywhere with competence.

Edited by Triumph

Zubrus is good and paid reasonably. I like him a lot and although he doesn't put up big offensive numbers he contributes every night along the boards and with his size. 3.4 million cap hit a year is not that much as Lou is paying

2.5 to Holik

2.5 to Pando

2.9 to Madden

considering Zubrus can do everything those guys can do and more.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Zubrus is good and paid reasonably. I like him a lot and although he doesn't put up big offensive numbers he contributes every night along the boards and with his size. 3.4 million cap hit a year is not that much as Lou is paying

2.5 to Holik

2.5 to Pando

2.9 to Madden

considering Zubrus can do everything those guys can do and more.

But I am pretty sure Madden and Holik's cap hit will reduce if they want to stay. If Lou does the Pando signing again, I'll be pissed.