Dreger: 3 teams in the mix fro Pronger

jkrdevil

When it comes to Chris Pronger, you keep hearing about the Boston Bruins. And why wouldn't you? Well, why you wouldn't is because of the salary cap issues here, but it's Cup intoxication versus what could be a diving salary cap in the off-season. So you've got Boston believed to be in the mix, the San Jose Sharks believed to be in the mix, and potentially the New Jersey Devils.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=269011

This was mentioned on the TSN intermission reports. Right after Dreger mentioned the above Pierre McGuire mentioned that Pronger would be a perfect fit for the Devils.

I don't see Anaheim trading Pronger to San Jose, because iirc he still has another year on his contract, and Anaheim wouldn't want to have to deal with playing against him six times next year.

+1

I would be amazed if the Ducks traded Pronger to San Jose.

I'd love Lou to bring Pronger (or Niedermayer, or Kaberle for that matter), but I don't believe he will do it. Hell, I'm not a long-time Devils fan and I already know Lou has his way of doing things, which has worked for years, and you can rarely see him pull the trigger on blockbuster deals like this. I'm curious about what's going to happen, I'm excited about this coming trade deadline, but I'm not expecting fireworks.

If Pronger doesn't end up playing in Jersey, I'd like him to stay in the West, but it seems unlikely. Or maybe the Ducks will just keep him?

I'd love Lou to bring Pronger (or Niedermayer, or Kaberle for that matter), but I don't believe he will do it. Hell, I'm not a long-time Devils fan and I already know Lou has his way of doing things, which has worked for years, and you can rarely see him pull the trigger on blockbuster deals like this. I'm curious about what's going to happen, I'm excited about this coming trade deadline, but I'm not expecting fireworks.

Doug Gilmour, Alexander Mogilny, Joe Nieuwendyk (with Jamie Langenbrunner) are all blockbuster moves Lou has made at the deadline. Another thing in common is like Pronger all those guys still had a another year left on their contract so they weren't a straight rental. Lou traditionally hasn't gone out a t got the big name straight rental but the ones with the extra year he has.

Now I don't know if he will be able to get Pronger because unlike in years past he may not have the assests to trade like he did for the above mentioned deals.

I think the player which we can possibly upgrade without disrupting chemistry is Greene. Mottau maybe? Martin/Salvador/White/Oduya are locks. The forwards are pretty set. This team lacks a true #1 and Pronger would definitely fill that role, but may be very expensive and Lou may back off. We most likely will get a another top 4 defensemen (upgrade over Greene) by the trade deadline for minimal price.

If I were Lou, these are the pieces I am willing to move: Greene, Mottau, Leach, Clemmensen, all of AHL except (Corrente, Halischuck, Frazee, Tedenby), Weekes, Rupp, maybe Gionta(?), Pando (has NTC).

Just curious.....why does everyone think that we can trade a bunch of "last resort" d-men for a #1 (like Pronger)? Why would ANY team trade a #1 D-man for borderline NHL'ers?

I will chalk it up to "wishful thinking" on most people's part.....the other alternative is not so flattering.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

Just curious.....why does everyone think that we can trade a bunch of "last resort" d-men for a #1 (like Pronger)? Why would ANY team trade a #1 D-man for borderline NHL'ers?

I will chalk it up to "wishful thinking" on most people's part.....the other alternative is not so flattering.

Mike Martin

KC Devil

Fans love to throw a whole bunch of average players to get a superstar. I don't believe this trade will happen at all.

I expect if the Devils make a deal it will be a trade for a depth defense player. Perhaps trade Clemmy to Buffalo for either a pick or a D-man. Buffalo is hurting with their goalie having a high ankle sprain. I don't see a blockbuster deal with the Devils but I expect a move of some sort. Greene is the weakest link in the Devils chain right now. It can be strengthened without having to do a major deal. Lou hasn't let me down yet. 4 SC appearances and 3 SC championships since 1995. Devils are strong in so many areas. I'd like to see this team intact for a playoff run.

Scoops

got this off of another board i post on. Pronger to BOS but won't be announced until wedensday.

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2009/2/...ine-update-w-ja

This dude has a radio show on XM 204 on Saturday's, from listening for a while now he strikes me as a huge homer with a thick Boston accent. I'm not sure why he would know any more than Ecklund or some other "crystal ball" wannabee.