Niclas Havelid traded to Devils

Xunolix

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short term this isn't that bad but the masses will not be anywhere close to happy unless the Lou picks up a real big name. The thing that really sucks about Salmela is that he really appeared to have a big upside offensively but he also made Andy Greene appear to be a real steady defender as well. Not sure what other tricks Lou has up his sleeve but this could likely be the main move he makes.

I don't know a whole lot about Havelid, but from what I've been reading on various Thrashers forums it sounds like he's a solid top-4 guy. Actually, the sentiments Thrashers fans are expressing look alot like what Blues fans were saying after we got Salvador (well, not quite as glowing, but still similar). Looks like a solid pickup.

Salmela's RFA after this season so I kinda hope Lou finds a way to bring him back (kinda doubt it though). The kid had a ton of raw talent. I guess he was just a little too rough around the edges to make an impact in the near future.

Havelid last season had 1 goal, 13 assists, 14-pts in 81 games for Atlanta and was a plus 2.

This season Havelid has 2 goals, 13 assists, 15-pts in 63 games for Atlanta and is a plus 4 right now.

Yeeaaah ! Scoring machine !

Havelid is a top 4 on many teams. Trust me, he is a good defensmen that won't make mistakes. He has a decent first pass. A devils type defensmen.

I agree Jason and he will do good here in New Jersey. I like the comparison to Tommy Albelin. Good veteran Dman for the Devils.

Havelid is a top 4 on many teams. Trust me, he is a good defensmen that won't make mistakes. He has a decent first pass. A devils type defensmen.

those teams also happen to be out of the playoffs.

i mean, havelid's an okay player, i think the albelin comparison is good.

Havelid last season had 1 goal, 13 assists, 14-pts in 81 games for Atlanta and was a plus 2.

This season Havelid has 2 goals, 13 assists, 15-pts in 63 games for Atlanta and is a plus 4 right now.

He is a +4 on a team with a -33 goal differential. He is not Mama's Boy, but he is a steady smart d-man. It just got that much harder to score on this team.

He is a +4 on a team with a -33 goal differential. He is not Mama's Boy, but he is a steady smart d-man. It just got that much harder to score on this team.

That's an interesting stat. The fact that Havelid is a plus player on such a lousy team says a lot. Salvador I believe was also a plus player on a horrible St. Louis team at the time of that trade last year too IIRC. This is a VERY solid depth move. I think Lou is done now, so I really hope there aren't a bunch of whiny bitches on this board if nothing happens on Wednesday.

Edited by MadDog2020

Agree with you there Petey.

All the more Havelid will be better on the Devils, who know how to play defense, also a top notch team compared to being one of the worst in Atlanta and he will learn the system.

I think it's good asset management. Salmela is as good as gone, IMO, we owned his rights and he wasn't going to make the team next year either, because he's never going to learn how to play his position defensively.

So, from that standpoint, it's a good trade. But for the need, it's not. We already have players of this level, I think we need another player of Martin's level or higher.

I think it's good asset management. Salmela is as good as gone, IMO, we owned his rights and he wasn't going to make the team next year either, because he's never going to learn how to play his position defensively.

So, from that standpoint, it's a good trade. But for the need, it's not. We already have players of this level, I think we need another player of Martin's level or higher.

As long as your predicting the future can you give me lottery numbers for this week??????

Fine deal...but Sal has every chance of being an effective NHL'r despite what some here are saying.