Winners and Losers?

Triumph

If Dawes scores 20 goals, Phoenix has a lot of problems. I bet they non-tender Petr Prucha at season's end, so it is basically Dawes for Morris which is a terrible deal. I don't know of Morris's involvement in the Cecil thing - IIRC, that was espen knutsen - but did you see what calgary gave up for jordan leopold? that's the kind of package phoenix should have gotten for derek morris.

Any somewhat solid player that Phoenix could get for Morris is a winner for Phoenix. They won't be making the playoffs, and Morris is a ufa after this year.

Relatedly, I think on the whole the Rangers were winners. With Antropov they get a player with more goals than anyone else currently on the team. Morris should help their powerplay. How could it get any worse?

Any somewhat solid player that Phoenix could get for Morris is a winner for Phoenix. They won't be making the playoffs, and Morris is a ufa after this year.

Yeah but... they got Kalinin, Dawes and Prucha back

Which one of those scrubs is somewhat solid again?

Dawes isn't a 'somewhat solid player'. He's a player who would've probably been gone on waivers next season, or a spare forward. Yeah, he'll get you 20 empty goals. There's tons of guys floating around the league who can do that.

Prucha is probably back to Europe next season (qualifying him at 1.6 million would be so colossally stupid - he's worth half that, probably), and Kalinin is so awful he's going to have to take a 50% paycut to stay in the league.

Edited by Triumph

Phoenix clearly was a winner yesterday. Dawes and Prucha will probably be 25-30 goals scorers on Phoenix, they also got alot of draft picks and basically gave up overrated and overpaid players.

Phoenix wins big yesterday.

Totally agree. I was hoping the Devils could get their hands on Dawes. Not the biggest at 5'8", but IMO he plays with a lot of heart.

Phoenix clearly was a winner yesterday. Dawes and Prucha will probably be 25-30 goals scorers on Phoenix, they also got alot of draft picks and basically gave up overrated and overpaid players.

Phoenix wins big yesterday.

is phoenix any closer to a playoff spot at any point by these trades? answer - not really.

prucha won't even be on their roster next year, i'll be taking bets on that.

Dawes isn't a 'somewhat solid player'. He's a player who would've probably been gone on waivers next season, or a spare forward. Yeah, he'll get you 20 empty goals. There's tons of guys floating around the league who can do that.

Prucha is probably back to Europe next season (qualifying him at 1.6 million would be so colossally stupid - he's worth half that, probably), and Kalinin is so awful he's going to have to take a 50% paycut to stay in the league.

I estimate that about 90 players or so will have 20 goals. That puts him in the middle of the pack so far as goal scores. He's also a fairly solid defensive forward (a minus 2 on a team that doesn't score any goals), probably in the mold of Pandolfo, if not better. I think that qualifies as a somewhat solid player.

Another guy who will have probably a few more than 20 goals, if that, is Gionta. Contract issues, and his ufa status next year aside, as long as we're talking about 20 goal scores, I assume that if the Coyotes traded Morris for Gionta, anyone would consider it a steal.

I estimate that about 90 players or so will have 20 goals. That puts him in the middle of the pack so far as goal scores. He's also a fairly solid defensive forward (a minus 2 on a team that doesn't score any goals), probably in the mold of Pandolfo, if not better. I think that qualifies as a somewhat solid player.

uh, what. in the mold of pandolfo, if not better? nigel dawes has had effort issues this year and has been a healthy scratch several times.

Another guy who will have probably a few more than 20 goals, if that, is Gionta. Contract issues, and his ufa status next year aside, as long as we're talking about 20 goal scores, I assume that if the Coyotes traded Morris for Gionta, anyone would consider it a steal.

gionta is dawes's perfect-world upside - though dawes has a better and more accurate shot than gionta, he doesn't have gionta's speed and quickness. regardless, not all goals are created equal - even if dawes does score 20 next year somehow, scorers like dawes who carry very little in the way of secondary talents are always on the fringe of an nhl job, almost regardless of how many goals they score.

is phoenix any closer to a playoff spot at any point by these trades? answer - not really.

prucha won't even be on their roster next year, i'll be taking bets on that.

The real answer is: Yes.

Your saying that Prucha won't even be on the Phoenix roster next year, basically solidifies his spot on the roster for the next three years. Your usually never right when you "take a bet".

The real answer is: Yes.

Your saying that Prucha won't even be on the Phoenix roster next year, basically solidifies his spot on the roster for the next three years. Your usually never right when you "take a bet".

funny that, i've won the only 2 bets i've ever made on here, and was basically right about the whole deadline.

if he's on the phoenix roster in 3 years they have worse problems than i thought. he is basically an older enver lisin. yippee.

i dig our trade a lot actually. it's not a headliner, but it's precisely what we needed.

bonino, pielmeier, and a conditional pick for travis moen and kent huskins?

that gives us the third line grit we've been sorely lacking and a guy who will stand up for his teammates and punch ott in the back of the head (moen), and a depth defenseman who will make it so that we have to cringe less at the sight of semenov on the ice (huskins).

bonino's a solid center prospect, but we're stacked at center down the pipeline. pielmeier's a big question mark, and we're also stacked at goalie down the pipeline.

bravo, dougie. :cheers:

Edited by Charlemagne