Possible Reason For Njdevils Blacklisting.....

CaptainScotty

This has nothing to do with the playoffs, but I was just trying to reason why NJ gets screwed over so royally with the coverage of hockey on ESPN. We dont even get mentioned in the intermission report these days, very disheartening.

Well, as we all know, the NHL is sponsored by Southwest Airlines, and of course their ads are all over the place. We also know that the Devils play at Continental Airlines Arena, and they are sponsored by Continental. I'm willing to bet that the Devils signed some sort of deal saying their telecasts have to include at least X number of Continental ads, and, obviously, this clashes with the interests of the NHL.

It could also explain why we see so few game from the American Airlines Arena (is that Washington?) as well....

It sounds just like the kind of contract the Devils would sign... enough to keep the team afloat, but no further.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Dallas there can not be any kind of advertisting from Southwest airlines inside the buliding. It was an agreement when AA got the naming rights to the buliding. My dad works for a certain airline coughswacough and I would love the arena here to be named Southwest Airlines Arena, but if it means paying all the money AA is paying forget it. But there's still alot of advertistments outside the arena and on tv. I don't think that nhl has a problem with this but who knows.

Teams, like the devils who have basically no fans, are nightmares to the media. They have to broadcast the games on ESPN every so often as to not look totally biased, but quite simply the Devils are very bad for business. God have they even sold out one God damn playoff game, its the second round people thats extremely sad. Why would ESPN want to broadcast the games nationally if people from NJ dont even care. They had to have taken a rating hit on game 3 which was a national broadcast. If you were ESPN would you want to waste air time on games that noone, barring the few fans we have, care about.

And when they do eventaully grant us some pitty air time there not gonna do it with a happy face and it it there all.

Its there money, its there staition, its there choice.

If you dont like it do what i do mute the TV and turn on the trust radio.

Is it really that hard to figure out?

It's not. I shut this game off because it was so boring. I don't enjoy watching teams play to hold on.

The Devils will probably win the Cup and not many people will care.

I know what people will say. "Derek, you'd gladly take more wins for your Rangers if they played better D and backchecked effectively."

I would be happier if they won more games but it wouldn't be that enjoyable to watch if their style was totally defensive. It would still be dull hockey.

I hope my team hires a tough coach who preaches attacking, aggressive hockey with hitting and solid D because that's the most exciting brand of hockey a team can play. Play to win.

Why should ESPN be excited about a team that takes the fun out of the game???

Is it really that hard to figure out?

It's not. I shut this game off because it was so boring. I don't enjoy watching teams play to hold on.

The Devils will probably win the Cup and not many people will care.

I know what people will say. "Derek, you'd gladly take more wins for your Rangers if they played better D and backchecked effectively."

I would be happier if they won more games but it wouldn't be that enjoyable to watch if their style was totally defensive. It would still be dull hockey.

I hope my team hires a tough coach who preaches attacking, aggressive hockey with hitting and solid D because that's the most exciting brand of hockey a team can play. Play to win.

Why should ESPN be excited about a team that takes the fun out of the game???

Spoken like a true CASUAL FAN Derek.

Im in the viewing minority... I hate any game that has more than 3 goals scored by a team... I personally like seeing defensive strategy play out... I hate when skaters can just skate through and pop a goal in every 2-3minutes....

Grant it, I know its not for the casual fan, and thats what televised sports are for... but still, I enjoy it... I really don't care what people think of the team, or if ESPN broadcasts it... I kinda get annoyed with the Metro thing, but thats just politics... :)

Im in the viewing minority... I hate any game that has more than 3 goals scored by a team... I personally like seeing defensive strategy play out... I hate when skaters can just skate through and pop a goal in every 2-3minutes....

Grant it, I know its not for the casual fan, and thats what televised sports are for... but still, I enjoy it... I really don't care what people think of the team, or if ESPN broadcasts it... I kinda get annoyed with the Metro thing, but thats just politics... :)

here here! :clap: