The Man Derek Jeter Should Envy (But Likely Doesn't)

SueNJ97

You may need a subscription to get at this. But, I'll link to it in any case.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123690411827214083.html

Key quotes from beginning of the piece:

"Ask New Yorkers to name the greatest local sportsman of the current generation and they'll inevitably put Derek Jeter's name at, or at least near, the top of the list.

But by numbers alone, the charismatic Yankee captain isn't the greatest New York-area athlete of his generation. That honor belongs to a guy who probably wouldn't even be recognized if he showed up at Le Cirque in full pads: New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur."

The article notes that while their careers have mirrored each other interms of rookie of the year honors, years played for the same team, titles in their respective sports, the way they have won other individual awards, etc., Jeter isn't set to smash key records and Marty is.

The Journal doesn't sit up and take notice of hockey in general that often so this is interesting.

Edited by SueNJ97

they always have to take a shot at the parking lot.

So true...

"The Yankee captain does have the edge in one area -- his championships resulted in parades through the Canyon of Heroes. Mr. Brodeur's were celebrated in a parking lot."

Please tell me what that has to do with ANYTHING???????????? :noclue:

Yeah the Devils didnt have a parade, but i went to the party in the parkin lot and i loved it. It was right at Continental, right where myself and lots of others went to watch them play. So whats wrong with going there to celebrate as well??

I mean now that theyre in Newark, a celebration might be different, but I dont think there was anything wrong with the celebration in the parkin lot.

So true...

"The Yankee captain does have the edge in one area -- his championships resulted in parades through the Canyon of Heroes. Mr. Brodeur's were celebrated in a parking lot."

I'm not thrilled with that either. But Marty was given space in a publication that rarely gives any notice to hockey and his career was compared favorably - in fact was lauded compared to Jeter's. But, if you guys are going to get this upset about the parking lot metnion, can someone remove the post, please???? I put it up, can one of the site moderators remove it?

I'm not thrilled with that either. But Marty was given space in a publication that rarely gives any notice to hockey and his career was compared favorably - in fact was lauded compared to Jeter's. But, if you guys are going to get this upset about the parking lot metnion, can someone remove the post, please???? I put it up, can one of the site moderators remove it?

Emo.

Emo.

No, nobody except me has commented on a thing in the article except the parking lot line, which tells me it's not a thing that should be up on this site. They can't see anything but that line. I made an error in posting it.

Jeez Sue, relax.

The other posters are right, while it was a short decent spot, there was no need for that stupid of an ending.

It's nice that a major national daily publication like the WSJ is recognizing Martin Brodeur. Obviously, he deserves all the recognition he gets.

As for the jab at the parking lot celebration and the "But Likely Doesn't" in the headline, eh, that's par for the course. We've been putting up with cheapshots like that since 1982.

Go Devils.

NO NO Sue, I am not upset with the Post, it is great that the Journal recognized Marty, but the dopey writer of the article had to bring up something that has absolutely nothing to do with Marty and his accomplishments!! Thats all, My post wasnt in reference to you or was I mad at the post, just the idiotic writer

Jeez Sue, relax.

The other posters are right, while it was a short decent spot, there was no need for that stupid of an ending.

Amen that was the point , having an article in a major puplication then ending it that way only takes away from Marty's accomplishment it certainly doesnt add to it..

Seriously? That's what people take from this article, the jab at the parking lot?!

I mean, honestly it's one of the worst places to have a Cup celebration, let's be honest. Come on.

Parade down manhattan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> meadowlands parking lot. That's just a fact.

But that parade won't happen anymore, it will be down Broad St. in Newark next and that's anything to be ashamed of. 1 billion times better than the parking lot.

Here's a thought. Jeter has had at least one teammate who was juiced. Marty didn't. Anyone can come up with something that may undermine one of these guys. The bottom line, both are sure-fire Hall of Famers.

It's nice that a major national daily publication like the WSJ is recognizing Martin Brodeur. Obviously, he deserves all the recognition he gets.

As for the jab at the parking lot celebration and the "But Likely Doesn't" in the headline, eh, that's par for the course. We've been putting up with cheapshots like that since 1982.

Go Devils.

Jeez Sue, relax.

While there might not have been a need for it, people here are entirely too fvcking sensitive. There is and has been a major inferiority complex around here when it comes to this type of stuff. It's fvcking annoying.

So true...

That's not a knock on the Devils. It's strengthening his point, that Jeter's only edge is hype. Everyone in the city knows about the Canyon of Heroes. Very few people about the parking lot. The article's main point is that everyone in the city notices Jeter and not Brodeur.

Seriously? That's what people take from this article, the jab at the parking lot?!

I mean, honestly it's one of the worst places to have a Cup celebration, let's be honest. Come on.

Parade down manhattan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> meadowlands parking lot. That's just a fact.

"This may be a parking lot...but it's the only parking lot that has a Stanley Cup in it!!!"

If I were a subscriber, I'd reply to that stupid comment from that Rangers fan. King Henrik indeed. :giggle: And we're the one's with the inferiority complex :rolleyes:

Well, at least they take notice. Better than nothing. The Devils simply have to win the Cup this year so we can have our parade in a city.

Nice to see some coverage on hockey there. Comparing Marty favorably to Derek Jeter is great to see as well. I sometimes listen to sports talk coverage on WFAN and they never ever mention Marty's name. I havent listened this week so I don't know if they have anything to say about the record, but I'm sick of hearing about offseason baseball from November to March on that station when important hockey games are being played, no less on that very station at night. Im always just happy to see or hear a mention of hockey and obviously the Devils anywhere in major media.

I dont care much about the parking lot comment either, people will always find something wrong with anything but when the Devils won 3 cups in 9 years I couldnt give a crap where the parade was, I was just happy about the Cup.