Rank 'Em: Greatest Goalies

eaglejelly

I know there's always going to be some goofy votes with these kinds of lists, but why the hell did three people pick Curtis Joseph as the all-time best? He's had a good career and played on some bad teams, but who's making a convincing case that Joseph is the best of all-time? Same for those who voted for guys like Barrasso and Vernon. C'mon.

the only difference in mine were i put sawchuck second and roy third

RE: Sawchuk, why? The reason I'm asking is that I find it hard to rank guys I never saw play.

I know there's always going to be some goofy votes with these kinds of lists, but why the hell did three people pick Curtis Joseph as the all-time best? He's had a good career and played on some bad teams, but who's making a convincing case that Joseph is the best of all-time?

The chances are Curtis Joseph and his family have a computer with internet connection

I have Sawchuk and Dryden in front of Hasek ... otherwise my top five is the same as SN's. The rest is a crap shoot.

I'm not sure how they're weighting the votes, but it seems that someone who has 1,500 1st place votes should have a larger lead over someone with 900 1st place votes. Either that or a bunch of people are putting Marty way down on their lists.

I know there's always going to be some goofy votes with these kinds of lists, but why the hell did three people pick Curtis Joseph as the all-time best? He's had a good career and played on some bad teams, but who's making a convincing case that Joseph is the best of all-time? Same for those who voted for guys like Barrasso and Vernon. C'mon.

RE: Sawchuk, why? The reason I'm asking is that I find it hard to rank guys I never saw play.

I've seen a lot of tape of him playing. I like to study the history of the game and have learned a lot about him and his style.

The thing I tried to ignore was what Sawchuk's career would have been like if he had somebody like Rolston shooting slappers with composite sticks at him.

Ignoring the change of times, I like Sawchuk better than Roy.

One criteria for measuring a player is the only one that really matters. How many cups have you won?

In that case, it's

Ken Dryden

Jacques Plante

Grant Fuhr

Billy Smith

Patrick Roy

Brodeur had one shot to beat Roy. 2001. He lost face-to-face and will never get a chance for a rematch.

I've played my brother once @ chess. He won. He won't play again so he can hold the throne as family chess champion.

As for Sawchuck, I'm not so sure how good Brodeur would be if he was constantly taking shots to the face:

sawchuk.gif

One criteria for measuring a player is the only one that really matters. How many cups have you won?

In that case, it's

Ken Dryden

Jacques Plante

Grant Fuhr

Billy Smith

Patrick Roy

Brodeur had one shot to beat Roy. 2001. He lost face-to-face and will never get a chance for a rematch.

I've played my brother once @ chess. He won. He won't play again so he can hold the throne as family chess champion.

As for Sawchuck, I'm not so sure how good Brodeur would be if he was constantly taking shots to the face:

Comparing goalies based on cups when they've played for different teams, in different eras, with different rules, with different number of teams doesn't make sense to me.

Also, matching 2 goalies careers and ignoring everything but 1 series doesn't seem to make sense either. If that's the case then Kevin Weekes is a better goalie than Marty as well.

Edited by Devils731

Comparing goalies based on cups when they've played for different teams, in different eras, with different rules, with different number of teams doesn't make sense to me.

Also, matching 2 goalies careers and ignoring everything but 1 series doesn't seem to make sense either. If that's the case then Kevin Weekes is a better goalie than Marty as well.

As for different eras, that's always problematic. I was watching a show about steroids in baseball and whether there should be an asterisk and someone asked if Babe Ruth's records need asterisks because the league didn't allow some of the best pitchers in the world play (the black pitchers). Comparing goalies based on *ANYTHING* across eras doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If people are weighing Roy vs Brodeur, 2001 will always come up in the conversation. It's the one spot where Roy is the absolute clear winner and it's the big one. Four vs three.

If people are weighing Roy vs Brodeur, 2001 will always come up in the conversation. It's the one spot where Roy is the absolute clear winner and it's the big one. Four vs three.

I didn't say it couldn't come up, I said using it to the exclusion of everything else doesn't make sense.

I didn't say it couldn't come up, I said using it to the exclusion of everything else doesn't make sense.

Yea, I dont get that. Its not like they boxed each other for the cup. Is Montana a better quarterback than Marino simply because the Dolphins lost to the Niners in a Superbowl? Besides, if you are talking about the total package, I'll take Marty anytime over Roy.

Is Montana a better quarterback than Marino simply because the Dolphins lost to the Niners in a Superbowl? Besides, if you are talking about the total package, I'll take Marty anytime over Roy.

When you're comparing the greatest players, it seems to me that there's no right or wrong, just opinions. If you'd take Brodeur over Roy, that's not an unreasonable statement. You bring up the "total package," and I assume you're taking about puckhandling. It's a fair argument. Marty was/is the best ever in that category.

Edited by Jerrydevil

I put Roy First.

In the back of your minds you all know it's true.

I'm torn because of the 2001 finals. I've heard the arguments, but at the end of that series, Roy outplayed Marty. That said, Marty's been a better teamate for years, and I'm not going to let 2 games determine who was the better player. I voted Marty, and if Marty gets a 4th cup, I won't have any questions.

What is Mike Vernon doing on that list at all? I think even Richter deserves to be on the top twenty more than Vernon. And even though their careers are relatively young, Luongo and Kiprisov are also better than Mike Vernon.

Guess you can tell, I don't think that much of Mike Vernon.