Where's the criticism of Emrick?

hattrick

The thread itself isn't what brought on the reactions.. it was more of an accusation that we need to rip Doc every time he makes a mistake,.

But don't we all rip everyone else for their mistakes? Rosen, Joe M, Rose etc. all get ripped when they make mistakes even by me. I think cuz Doc does an outstanding and awesome job for our Devils, that he gets a pass, which may or may not be fair.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we all love Doc, but he made "a Gary Thorn 2003 ECF Jeff Friesen no goal scored" type of call when he thought Zajac scored a gaol on a break away.

I do recall that Gary Thorn got ripped by many of us when he did not make the right call on Friesen's GWG vs OTT. Doc did a similar call on Zajac's supposed score.

Where is the equal time and criticism? I know Doc did apologize for his mistake.

Doc is the best announcer in any sport, IMO. sh!t happens.

The guy is great in so many ways, unbiased, knowledgeable, great tone and pace in his voice.

Try fvcking listening to god damn Susan Waldman and John Sterling (not his real name) for 162 games. Then you will realize the grave error you have made in insulting doc.

Also, hes like the nicest 'famous' person Ive ever met.

Doc mistakenly thought a goal was scored and then apologized. He is a Devs announcer afterall, maybe it was wishful thinking? Gary Thorne called No goal the goal light is not on when it was obviouls the puck was behind Lalime. He sounded like he was desperate for it not to be a goal. Biased, much? And he never apologized.

...because we don't like them. It's a Devils message board... we rip the people who we DON'T LIKE!!!

Maybe you want to be blinded by your love for the Devils, but I will not be closed minded by my love for the Devils. I will keep an open mind on any issue I think is pro or anti Devil.

Maybe you want to be blinded by your love for the Devils, but I will not be closed minded by my love for the Devils. I will keep an open mind on any issue I think is pro or anti Devil.

Maybe you should just not bring up trivial mistakes by an otherwise A+ caliber announcer. That would work too.

Dude seriously, put a sock in it. There's no reason a Devils board (or any other team's board) has to be completely unbiased and I don't see why you think it's your mission to make this board pure.

Besides, it's not just who he works for, it's his body of work itself that's earned a pass from US at least...I'm sure there are more than enough Flyer fans with over-the-top whining and crying about Doc to satisfy you.

Edited by Hasan4978

Doc is a HOF announcer and that has to be the 1st time I ever heard him say it was a goal when it wasn't. Doc made a mistake and yes he is human like the rest of us. Doc also right away apologized MORE than once after it happened. He even made it comical afterwards as he was startting to say the letters to the seeing eye chart that he knows his eye sight is good, but again acknowledged he made a mistake and apologized again.

Doc does not deserve any heat or critisism for his mistake last night in the Devils game. He gets a pass IMO. The guy is usually perfect in every game called in every way and last night was a first.

As for Thorne, it was the playoffs and the ECF Game 7 which makes it a lot worse than a regular season games. I like Thorne, but man he really screwed up that time in the 2003 playoffs and he didn't even apologize for his mistake. Clement actually saved his ass on that blown call.

But don't we all rip everyone else for their mistakes? Rosen, Joe M, Rose etc. all get ripped when they make mistakes even by me. I think cuz Doc does an outstanding and awesome job for our Devils, that he gets a pass, which may or may not be fair.

Did you not notice the comments that it was brought up in chat and the GDT?

Hello?

That would seem to indicate he didn't "get a pass".

My reaction at the time: despite not seeing the twine move I thought it was a goal because Doc said it was and was as momentarily confused as he was. I thought "awww, doc, ya blew that one" and moved on; 'cause he's Doc. Yes, being Doc gets him special treatment from me. Same with Chico.

Now we all love Doc, but he made "a Gary Thorn 2003 ECF Jeff Friesen no goal scored" type of call when he thought Zajac scored a gaol on a break away.

I do recall that Gary Thorn got ripped by many of us when he did not make the right call on Friesen's GWG vs OTT. Doc did a similar call on Zajac's supposed score.

Where is the equal time and criticism? I know Doc did apologize for his mistake.

Doc rarely makes mistakes, Thorne makes the same amount of mistakes as there are icings in a hockey game.

Doc deserves a break because he actually apologizes EVERY TIME he makes a mistake. Find other announcers who apologize for their errors. Most ignore them, others may do it once. Doc comes clean each time. Remember he kept mixing up Zubrus & Parise a couple weeks ago. I thought he was going to plead to Sutter to keep them on separate lines.

And Thorne is always a douche who kept pronouncing names wrong & over-hyped when he was on ESPN just so he could hear his own voice. I always hated when he said "... PUT THAT IN YOUR VCR'S..."

Doc rules, you can criticize him for his mistakes, but why should the whole community come down on him for the mistake he immediately apologized for?

1st: He was criticized by devils fans in the GDT and most importantly by himself. He made a mistake and apologized profusely. I was annoyed since I felt teased, but it was clearly an honest mistake.

2nd: Assuming your premise that we aren't being objective, is not using objectivity in criticism of your team's play by play guy really that big of a deal??

I mean why does this matter at all?

There is absolutely no comparison of Doc's blunder yesterday to Gary Thorne's ECF fvck-up.

Doc legitimately thought that Zajac had scored, and honestly, so did I. Gary Thorne yelled NO! NO! THE LIGHT IS NOT ON! -- Instead of relying on the goal light as the sole source of determination, if he used his eyes he would have seen that Friesen had scored. Everyone in the arena knew it.

"Aw DOc youre sucha a HOMER" - my exact quote during chat last night ..

"This isnt Doc's best game " soon there after

We gave it to him in chat and I think in the GDT --

Doc is still the GREATEST --

for further proof see thread - " DId He Really Say That? "

Edited by El Diablo

You know.... I remember this job I was working where there were a bunch of lazy no-talent sh!ts around the office and I was pulling the load of 10 of these lugs. Not only wouldn't these slugs do any work... they couldn't do any work. They would screw it up royally and I would end up redoing it myself. But one day I make a typo in an e-mail to the director and my boss came out and lit into me about professionalism and competence. A week later I had found another job and left.

Point: When someone who knows what they are doing and have a history of doing their job well, when they make a mistake, it stands out. When someone history of being a screw-ups, you don't notice it quite so much. But I don't think it fair to berate someone as talented as Doc because he made a mistake, owned that mistake, apologized for it....

Edited by Don

Hahahaha! Good is not good where better is expected huh?

A thread dedicated to bashing Doc - there's a new one! :giggle: