Practice finally underway (1:30 p.m)

Rock

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/03...ice-2.html#more

It's 1:30 p.m. and the Devils' practice today at Prudential Center is finally underway.

Practice was supposed to start at 1 p.m. That would seem to indicate the team was holding a meeting.

Right now, they are working on handling dump-ins and breaking out of the defensive zone. They've done a terrible job of that the last few games and that's a big reason why they've been spending so much time in the defensive zone and why they've been giving up so many shots.

Today's line combinations and defense pairs.

Forwards: Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner; Elias-Zubrus-Gionta; Rolston-Madden-Shanahan (Pandolfo extra); Rupp-Holik-Clarkson.

Defensemen: Oduya-Martin; White-Mottau; Salvador-Havelid; Greene-Leach.

Goaltenders: Brodeur, Weekes.

Sutter is actually letting them practice instead of giving them another day off? :clap2:

Hmmmmm. It seems like when Sutter makes them practice everyday, people say he's too tough on the team and should let them rest.

Now after letting them rest a little in the chaotic schedule, he's a bad guy for not making them practice?

Which one is it?

Today's line combinations and defense pairs.

Forwards: Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner; Elias-Zubrus-Gionta; Rolston-Madden-Shanahan (Pandolfo extra); Rupp-Holik-Clarkson.

Goaltenders: Brodeur, Weekes.

like the new line combos.

Same 1st line, same 2nd line.. Shanny STILL on the 3rd line (btw that line is going be very slowwwwwww), and the 4th line remains 'meh'.

If Brent is so obsessed with keeping lines 1 and 2 in tact, he should at least swap Clarkson and Shanny and scratch Rupp for Pando.

Hmmmmm. It seems like when Sutter makes them practice everyday, people say he's too tough on the team and should let them rest.

Now after letting them rest a little in the chaotic schedule, he's a bad guy for not making them practice?

Which one is it?

If a team is playing out of sync, they will suck, rested or not. Resting only works with an intact team that is running out of power. There is no standard solution, this is one of the reasons the coaches get paid for, to determine what is best for the team. As far as I can tell this team needs to practice at the moment

Same 1st line, same 2nd line.. Shanny STILL on the 3rd line (btw that line is going be very slowwwwwww), and the 4th line remains 'meh'.

If Brent is so obsessed with keeping lines 1 and 2 in tact, he should at least swap Clarkson and Shanny and scratch Rupp for Pando.

What were you expecting from the third and fourth lines? Neither line will really be very good. The fourth line will at least bring some roughness to the team, and probably stupid penalties, while the third line will be a bunch of players shooting from anywhere on the ice whenever they get the puck.

What were you expecting from the third and fourth lines? Neither line will really be very good.

Clarkson-Madden-Zubrus

Pandolfo-Holik-Shanahan

Shanny doesn't belong on the 3rd line (or PK for that matter), its simple as that.

The fourth line will at least bring some roughness to the team, and probably stupid penalties, while the third line will be a bunch of players shooting from anywhere on the ice whenever they get the puck.

you say that as if its a good thing.

I think it should work fine, the bottom 2 lines i mean. Look at the past couple games when he's put the Holik Rupp and Clarkson line out there. Using their body they have been able to hold a cycle and pressure in the opposing zone. Rolston out of center is already a improvement and that line has the ability to provide secondary scoring. Not bad I hope they stay in tact for tomorrow.

I think the fourth line is just to make a big impact in right moments i mean Holik running over the goalie,then Rupp making a guy like Crosby see some stars and then when all the heat is up Clarkson make's the orther team take a bad penalty or put up a good fight in a good moment.And not to forget it makes a good forecheking line. :whistling:

Edited by SS-SS

Finally we have a real fourth line, not expected to score goals but they are expected to throw their bodies around and throw their bodies around the will.

Also In order for the 3rd line to work I think Madden needs to think pass first shoot second.

I'd like to see them switch Clarkson and Shannahan. Clarkie brings some toughness to that line, which they're lacking with Rolston. Dog and Rolston force Clarkson to actually play offense instead of just hitting everything in sight. Shanny's a good 4th liner, but not much else.

Rupp should stay IMO, Pando's not skating that much better, and Rupp can at least hit.

If the lines from practice stay intact, I'd like to see the 4th on the ice more. When he plays smart, Clarkie can be real valuable, I don't want to see him buried. He should be off the PP, but Sutter needs to make sure he gets decent ice time even strength.

Only problem with that theory is the fact that Pandolfo is too old and slow to keep up with the young'ns... especially of the likes of Malkin and Crosbitch.

I still shutter to think when him and madden were getting ownd against the sens a couple years ago.

If a team is playing out of sync, they will suck, rested or not. Resting only works with an intact team that is running out of power. There is no standard solution, this is one of the reasons the coaches get paid for, to determine what is best for the team. As far as I can tell this team needs to practice at the moment

And you get paid how much to make this assessment?

Mike Martin

KC Devil

Edited by KC Devil

Against a team like Pittsburgh the Devils do not need Rupp. Pandolfo should play tomorrow night in Pittsburgh IMO. Need Pandolfo and Madden to slow down Malkin and Crosby. Change something up for this next game Sutter.

And I will throw in my hockey toughness point of view, that I want to see Rupp vs. Godard.

you say that as if its a good thing.

My bad. I realize how poorly I phrased that statment, but in no way did I mean it was a good thing. I was trying to say that the third and fourth lines, as they were in practice today, will end up being pretty bad overall. So I guess that means we agree. :)