Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

It is way too cold and crappy weather for the Mets opening day in Cincy. It is a hard misty rain and chance of snow. Too early and too soon for baseball IMO.

First inning Reyes led off with an infield hit, stole 2nd, Murphy grounds out, Wright strikes out, Delgado walks and Beltran flies out to CF to ens the inning leaving reyes at 3rd base. Ugh, the Mtes cannot do what they did last season is leaving way too many men on base.

Santana a shaky 30-pitch 1st inning. He struck out the 1st two batters then walked the next two but got out of the inning.

I do like the new mets hats with the Innaugural patches on the left side of the hats.

LETS GO METS!

Schnieder and Castillo are the mets weak spots in the lineup. I hope they pick up their game or get traded!

Castillo is not going to be traded.. Im pretty sure that option was explored by Omar in the off-season.. however, Tatis might become the starter if Castillo struggles. BTW Castillo's 1st AB was horrible; how can you look at the same pitch on the outside corner TWICE? Hes lucky he didnt get punched out on the first one..

If D. Murphy does not play well quickly, I can see Sheffield playing LF.

I cant. I think Church is the one that needs to perform. And I think Sheffield will be extremely lucky if he ever gets a starting job on this team.

Edited by nmigliore

Castillo is not going to be traded.. Im pretty sure that option was explored by Omar in the off-season.. however, Tatis might become the starter if Castillo struggles. BTW Castillo's 1st AB was horrible; how can you look at the same pitch on the outside corner TWICE? Hes lucky he didnt get punched out on the first one..

I cant. I think Church is the one that needs to perform. And I think Sheffield will be extremely lucky if he ever gets a starting job on this team.

MURPH! Mets lead 1-0!

Omar apparently was ready to trade Castillo after last season...he even asked Castillo's agent what teams his client might be interested in going to. Castillo then begged Omar not to deal him, that he wanted to atone. Omar was moved enough to the point that he decided to keep him.

Anybody else think Castillo would've been hearing it at CitiField after striking out looking in his 1st AB?

Balls falling in all over the place for the Mets in the 5th...why do schedule-makers insist on having Opening Days in places like Cincinnati?

Big innings for Johan coming up.. we really need him to eat up the 5th/6th. Damn that 30+ pitch first inning!

The good news is that Harang is definitely done so we get to battle their bullpen for the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th. Good.

Edited by nmigliore

7 hits and 1 run sucks!!!

a few bloop hits and Johan up to bat with RISP a couple times makes that happen ^. (Santana has left the most on base in this game, 4)

But again now we face the bullpen, which is good.

Edited by nmigliore

Schnieder 0-3 :rolleyes: ........ He sucks. IMO, have no confidence in him.

He wasn't brought here for his bat. Clearly until they show otherwise the 7 and 8 spots are going to be question marks.

Sacks are full...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Schnieder 0-3 :rolleyes: ........ He sucks. IMO, have no confidence in him.

lol dude relax, its 1 game. schneider is not supposed to be an above average hitting catcher either..

and meanwhile the bases are loaded with 1 out with Murph coming up.. NEED TO GET AT LEAST A RUN BOYS.

>Murphy grounds out to 1b, a run scores.. Wright coming up with 2 men in RISP and Herrera is coming out.

Edited by nmigliore

lol dude relax, its 1 game. schneider is not supposed to be an above average hitting catcher either..

and meanwhile the bases are loaded with 1 out with Murph coming up.. NEED TO GET AT LEAST A RUN BOYS.

Gotta admit, I like the new-and-improved nmig. A much more tempered approach.

Murphy drives in another run and it's 2-0!

BTW nmig why are you in class today? Aren't you off this week? Or is it next week?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Gotta admit, I like the new-and-improved nmig. A much more tempered approach.

Murphy drives in another run and it's 2-0!

for now :P .. wait until we play the phillies and blow a 5-0 lead :unsure: ... well.. lets hope that never happens.

anyway.. keep padding the lead boys.. RHP Mike Lincoln coming in to face Wright.. 2 men in RISP w/ 2 out. CMON WRIGHT!

edit: oh and CR was in class today b/c our break doesnt start until Wed.. i get out at 1pm everyday though (gotta love being a senior :D) so i didnt miss a pitch of this game :D

Edited by nmigliore

lol you're right..... Just never was impressed with schnieder, IMO. So im going to pick on him. :P.

Clearly until they show otherwise the 7 and 8 spots are going to be question marks.

agreed.

Wright walks .. bases juiced, and Delgado will face the RIGHTY Lincoln..

what the hell was Lincoln thinking? CMON CARLOS

Yuck.. first pitch swinging. bad approach.

>> well this is another big inning for Johan... bloop single to leadoff.. Votto coming up..

Edited by nmigliore

Listening to Joe and Evan...they just made a brief mention of CitiField. Observations they made that I agree with, based on what I saw on TV:

1) The ballpark seems to be more about getting CitiField's name out there than the team that actually plays there. (The scoreboard comes to mind: nothing but a very sedate "LET'S GO METS!" Does anyone else think there isn't enough Met-related stuff? And I kind of wish the outfield wall was blue instead of green.)

I hope there will be more Mets stuff by the time the real Opening Day commences, I'm sure not everything was put in just yet though the park did look largely finished.

The few ads they had looked huge as if they were trying to max out on what they had. I didn't really think to look for the advertisements or lack thereof but the blocked off areas on the scoreboard were pretty conspicuous.

Dusty getting away with his usual shoddy handling of a pitching staff so far, leaving in Harang for about 110 pitches on a cold day, then taking out the lefty and having the righty face Delgado instead of just walking Wright with a base empty and leaving the lefty in.

uh God. 2nd and 3rd, 0 out..

Reds get a run.. the lefty Bruce is up, cmon Johan you really need to get this guy.

-Gets Bruce to pop up.. 2 out.

Wow, Santana is taken out by Manuel......

> Green is coming to face the righty Encarnacion.. i dont agree at all with taking Johan out he was up to 99 pitches.. lets hope Jerry pulled the right string.. if not he'll be taking some heat from the media tomorrow.

Edited by nmigliore