Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

pretty ironic that everything falls apart when minaya stepped into the booth... ollie loses control, castillo loses range, and francoeur drops a ball. unreal.

4-0, chalk up another loss, we cant beat john lannan.

Not ironic nmig...ironic means that the outcome turns out to be the opposite of what's expected. What happened once Minaya stepped into the booth was more symbolic than anything else.

Did anyone else want to reach into their TVs and grab that stuttering, stammering moron by his arrogant neck?

I can't take this jerkoff anymore. This a$$hole NEVER EVER passes up a chance to pat himself on the back...whoopee Omar, the team won a division title in 2006! You're a god among men!

You can tell he thinks he's some sort of genius for landing Santana...HE FELL INTO YOUR LAP DOUCHEBAG, THE YANKEES OR RED SOX COULD HAVE HAD HIM IF THEY HAD BEEN WILLING TO GIVE UP THE PIECES!

I really, really, REALLY cannot stand this guy.

And way to grill him Keith and Gary (I like them both)...could you two have lobbed up any more softballs? Maybe you could have asked Mr. Genius why he passed up available power hitters when they were available at very reasonable prices? (Funny how Adam Dunn and his 24 HRs was stepping up to the plate as Omar was bemoaning his team's lack of power.) Maybe you could have mentioned why he felt the need to lock up Ollie "I Really Do Suck" Perez to three years when no one else even made an offer? That whole interview made me sick. Then again, everything Met-related pretty much does these days. Par for the very sh!tty course.

pretty ironic that everything falls apart when minaya stepped into the booth... ollie loses control, castillo loses range, and francoeur drops a ball. unreal.

Not ironic nmig...ironic means that the outcome turns out to be the opposite of what's expected. What happened once Minaya stepped into the booth was more symbolic than anything else.

i was being sarcastic

i was being sarcastic

Gotcha ;)

My disgust has my sarcasm meter out of whack.

i was being sarcastic

Gotcha ;)

My disgust has my sarcasm meter out of whack.

heh trust me im worse at figuring out sarcastic comments :P

re: Minaya stuff - its hard to blame him for this lost season.. i mean yeah signing Ollie was bad.. but he cant control who gets hurt.. and he cant build a bench of superstars either.. like i said before, im willing to give him 1 more offseason to fix things. regarding other free agents i wouldn't totally blame minaya, i think alot of it has to do with the wilpons and how much they are willing to owe up.

so far im glad he hasn't been stupid enough to trade any prospects for a rental or 2010 rental .. like i said, best option is try to get whatever you can for guys like sheffield and tatis.. let everyone take their time getting back healthy and get ready for next season.. call up guys like FMart (well hes on the DL so maybe forget him until he gets back to being healthy), Evans, Niese, and even Dillon Gee when he gets back from his injury.. see what they could do so you could get a better read for 2010. the mets will also have a nice draft pick if this season keeps going down which is always really nice.

as for 2010, i cant tell you what i wanna do yet.. have to give it alot of thought and my thought process wont even begin until the season ends, and then ill make a big write-up and review every single position and whose under contract and whose due for arbitration, how much officially $$$ the mets will have coming off the books, etc (i know we sorta went over briefly how much the mets could have coming off the books but we didnt take into account arbitration eligible guys who might get raises or guys like reyes and wright whose salaries grow)

Edited by nmigliore

nmig, re: Wright, he's signed for quite a while (3 more years after this one), so he's not a concern. Reyes is a FA after next season...that's going to be an interesting one.

nmig, re: Wright, he's signed for quite a while (3 more years after this one), so he's not a concern. Reyes is a FA after next season...that's going to be an interesting one.

I know but his salary rises, as does Reyes' salary.. which adds more $$ to next year's total payroll.

wright 09 salary - $7.5M .. wright 2010 salary - $10M

reyes 09 salary - $5.75M .. reyes 2010 salary - $9M

see? just wright and reyes alone, despite still being under contract, add $5.75M to next year's payroll due to their increasing salaries.

Edited by nmigliore

I know but his salary rises, as does Reyes' salary.. which adds more $$ to next year's total payroll.

see? just wright and reyes alone, despite still being under contract, add $5.75M to next year's payroll due to their increasing salaries.

They have a lot coming off the payroll too. Delgado, Wagner, and Putz, to name three. I'd have to go through the roster to see who else comes off.

They have a lot coming off the payroll too. Delgado, Wagner, and Putz, to name three. I'd have to go through the roster to see who else comes off.

oh yeah i know that, im not sure how much though exactly.. like i said, i have to take in to consideration the salary raises to wright and reyes (and anyone else) and the players that could get an increase from arbitration etc .. i dont really plan on doing that until after the year though

also dont forget putz and wagner have options for 2010.. i dont know what the mets plan to do, but they could opt to keep 1 of them and trading the other.. or letting them both walk.. or picking up both options and trading both.. but something like this is too tough to answer now since we dont know how good wagner or putz will be whenever they return.

Edited by nmigliore

So I'm driving into the office today, and I hear Steve Philips on ESPN Radio say that the Mets should be sellers at this point and time.

My question...what are they going to get value for that's not an untouchable asset? I've heard Sheffield and Livan's name tossed around, but how much value would either get in a trade? And everyone else they have is either injured or untouchable, are they not? I'm confused by the blanket statement of "be a seller" when I'm not sure that the Mets have a lot they want to sell off this team.

Then again, I also question the wisdom of Philips telling the Phillies to give up Drabeck in the Halladay trade that may or may not happen by Tuesday.

The Binghamton Mets clubhouse nearly turned into a scene out of WWE Raw recently, when VP for player development Tony Bernazard removed his shirt and challenged the Double-A players to a fight during a postgame tirade, multiples sources told the Daily News.

Bernazard particularly went after middle infield prospect Jose Coronado, using a slang term associated with a woman's anatomy, a source indicated. The confrontation happened about 10days before the All-Star break, according to insiders.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/07/22/2009-07-22_sources_mets_vp_for_player_development_tony_bernazard_challenges_binghamton_mets.html#ixzz0LzAsBxQX

enough......ENOUGH. Ok from Omars used car salesman shtick to missing out on manny(wilpons) to missing out on Dunn and Ibanez to signing Castillo and Perez. For the consecutive chokes, for the entire citi field debacle and all the dodger crap we see everywhere, right down to the medical staff and the witch doctors they employ (starting with Ray Ramirez). I don't think I've ever been this humiliated to root for a franchise in my life. Flush Los Mets down the toilet already.

The Binghamton Mets clubhouse nearly turned into a scene out of WWE Raw recently, when VP for player development Tony Bernazard removed his shirt and challenged the Double-A players to a fight during a postgame tirade, multiples sources told the Daily News.

Bernazard particularly went after middle infield prospect Jose Coronado, using a slang term associated with a woman's anatomy, a source indicated. The confrontation happened about 10days before the All-Star break, according to insiders.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/07/22/2009-07-22_sources_mets_vp_for_player_development_tony_bernazard_challenges_binghamton_mets.html#ixzz0LzAsBxQX

enough......ENOUGH. Ok from Omars used car salesman shtick to missing out on manny(wilpons) to missing out on Dunn and Ibanez to signing Castillo and Perez. For the consecutive chokes, for the entire citi field debacle and all the dodger crap we see everywhere, right down to the medical staff and the witch doctors they employ (starting with Ray Ramirez). I don't think I've ever been this humiliated to root for a franchise in my life. Flush Los Mets down the toilet already.

Pretty much sums it up. The Castillo and Perez signings by themselves are enough reason for Omar to lose his job, but there's plenty of others to go along with those disasters.

Unfortunately '7', the biggest problem are the Wilpons, and they're not going anywhere. They're completely clueless as to their own stupidity and incompetence. If they actually do SOMETHING about Bernazard I might actually start to believe that the Wilpons are awake. But the Mets continue to be laughingstocks in too many ways, and this sh!t always happens on the Wilpons' watch, and I'm sick of it. Fred Wilpon actually thought Met fans care as much about Brooklyn Dodger history as they do Met history?! God I'm so sick of the Wilpons.

Don't know if you saw Omar's on-air segment last night, but it couldn't have made me more furious...especially since it was exactly what I expected it to be.

On another note, as frustrating as the Mets are in all facets, could you imagine being a Pirates' fan? What a waste of a fine stadium...does that team even try anymore?

On another note, as frustrating as the Mets are in all facets, could you imagine being a Pirates' fan? What a waste of a fine stadium...does that team even try anymore?

LaRoche is a free agent-to-be, they had to deal him.. I haven't really checked out what they got back yet though.

edit: ok they trade laroche for prospects argenis diaz (ss) and hunter strickland (sp) .. neither of them were in the Sox' top 10 prospects coming into 2009 and i doubt they would be now.. diaz stats dont really stand out at all.. strickland is probably the better pickup; has great control numbers, but his k-rate has always been weak especially for a guy only in A ball. i have no idea about any in depth things on these guys (ie: maybe strickland throws hard but his offspeed pitches haven't quite developed yet, hence the less strikeouts).. but overall this is a nice deal for boston; they barely gave up anything for him.. also dont forget boston had to take up like 3 or so million of laroche's salary, so that might be another reason why pittsburgh didn't get a good return.

-----

re: Bernazard - this guy should be fired but i dont think its happening.. supposedly hes really tight with the hispanic players on the mets and minaya loves him.

btw is bernazard serious, a fight? he would get his ass handed to him by anyone on that team i bet.

edit: and why a farm team? seriously? who really cares about a minor league team winning? why didnt he do such a thing with the Mets last year or in 2007? I guess he was the pu$$y.. anyway, ike davis, brad holt, jenrry mejia, josh thole, ruben tejada all occupy the B-Mets roster; its not like they are producing sh!tty players, those are all legit top 10 prospects in the mets system. and a minor league team is for DEVELOPMENT not winning.

Edited by nmigliore

I don't know if they can sweep this guy under the rug for long, he's always been a douche but embarassing the organization like this repeatedly (and also Francesa alleges Bernanzard got into it with K-ROD a week or so ago, something Jerry didn't exactly deny during their interview on WFAN) when things aren't going well for the organization as a whole might finally bring his own status to critical mass.

If Omar goes too far to protect him this time he could pay with his own job too.

Edited by Hasan4978

Minaya meeting with the press...this is pretty much all I heard on WFAN

Investigate

Investigate

Investigate

youknowwhati'msayin

so basically they'll investigate and quietly sweep it under the rug

Omar really sounded like a befuddled jackass. My guess is Bernazard will read a pre-written apology and the Mets will go on like everything's been solved. In other words, they'll do the wrong thing, just like they always do.

Just looked up Bernazard's profile...Antonio Bernazard Garcia is a fellow Latino. Yeah, I'm sure a lot is going to come out of Sherlock Minaya's "investigation"...please.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't know if they can sweep this guy under the rug for long, he's always been a douche but embarassing the organization like this repeatedly (and also Francesa alleges Bernanzard got into it with K-ROD a week or so ago, something Jerry didn't exactly deny during their interview on WFAN) when things aren't going well for the organization as a whole might finally bring his own status to critical mass.

If Omar goes too far to protect him this time he could pay with his own job too.

Ed Coleman and Francesa were talking about an argument he was having with Santana!

Bernazard is a parasite, a cancer!

well at least the julio lugo rumors could end now.. Cardinals traded Duncan for Lugo: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/red-sox-cards-swap-lugo-duncan.html

of course this all comes with cora's thumb acting up all of a sudden and now the mets will be forced to play angel berroa alot... but again this season is basically lost, so i guess its not a big deal..

lineup, per rubin:

Pagan, cf

Castillo, 2b

Murphy, 1b

Wright, 3b

Francoeur, rf

Sullivan, lf

Berroa, ss

Schneider, c

Pelfrey, rhp

lol... thats what minaya gets for over-hyping francoeur as the best RF'er in the game .... or its because francoeur is wearing a mets uniform..

probably more of the latter..

jesus christ, the nats are fvcking built off of met killers.. willie harris, john lannan, ronnie belliard, josh willingham, nyjer morgan is the latest...

Edited by nmigliore

Pelfrey was ok I guess. 7ip 3er against a decent hitting team and coming off a miserable outing. They also were able to get 4 base hits and scored a run today, which is pretty neat.

This is the worst Mets team that has taken the field since 1962. If they took the field from day 1 they'd win 38 games maximum.