Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

Ojeda hit the nail on the head with Tatis' at bat.. he was swinging for the fences thinking its 2008 when everything was flying off of his bat and into the seats... sorry Fernando, but wake up, its 2009.

I also dont like Jerry doing this 1 batter and done crap with Parnell... let the f'n kid pitch through an inning and quit playing the game out by out in the 7th and 8th innings, its not like you are in a serious pennant race. God.

Edited by nmigliore

Typical, I turn on the game just in time to see Francoeur lose a ball like a drunk and Pelf give up the big fly. I guess the Mets aren't allowed to field, funny how we actually have two gold glove players :P

I'm waiting with bated breath to see how bad the crowds are when the Mets are carried back to Citi on a stretcher Monday. I haven't been to Citi in two months and I get stuck with Livan pitching against the Diamondbacks as my next game :rolleyes:

Typical, I turn on the game just in time to see Francoeur lose a ball like a drunk and Pelf give up the big fly. I guess the Mets aren't allowed to field, funny how we actually have two gold glove players :P

I'm waiting with bated breath to see how bad the crowds are when the Mets are carried back to Citi on a stretcher Monday. I haven't been to Citi in two months and I get stuck with Livan pitching against the Diamondbacks as my next game :rolleyes:

I got Perez against the Rockies for my first ever trip to Citi. It's probably a good thing I'll be exploring the stadium most of the game.

I got Perez against the Rockies for my first ever trip to Citi. It's probably a good thing I'll be exploring the stadium most of the game.

But at least with the Mets playing the Rockies they could theoretically play spoiler to a playoff hopeful (ergo there's some meaning to the game), but when you have TWO bad teams playing each other, what's the point? Baseball's the worst sport in the world when your team sucks, there's no end in sight.

OTOH with Ollie pitching you could be stuck with a four-hour game, which wouldn't be any picnic either, especially on a weekday.

And to think the Wilpons are content with the GM and Manager... At this point I wouldn't pay more than $5 to go see a Mets game..

Hey the NJ Jackals suck too but guess what I can watch them suck for only $12 and be 20 feet from the field.. I can also afford to eat at the game and parking is FREE

And to think the Wilpons are content with the GM and Manager... At this point I wouldn't pay more than $5 to go see a Mets game..

Hey the NJ Jackals suck too but guess what I can watch them suck for only $12 and be 20 feet from the field.. I can also afford to eat at the game and parking is FREE

As far as Jerry goes, I can't pick on him too much. He's not a great in-game strategist, and his hunches are goofy at times, but he has almost nothing to work with right now.

Omar is a complete joke in so many ways...just a befuddled-sounding moron, and a racist to boot. I don't mean the kind of racist that hurls slurs and insults. When Omar said he felt a kinship with Willie (due to their minority status) and was feeling hesistant to fire him because of that kinship, he revealed his true colors. Willie should have been let go because he wasn't getting the job done, pure and simple. Willie's race should never have entered the equation, but for Omar it clearly did...and I think that race enters into Omar's thinking far too often. Omar somehow thinks that he's creating some legacy where he's going to be this trendsetting Latino GM that people will be talking about for years to come. All he's going to be at the rate he's going is another Steve Phillips...a GM who did some good things and some (far more memorable) bad things, and whose overall tenure won't last for more than 7-8 years, tops, if he's lucky. And like Steve Phillips, I don't see another team pounding down his door when he's handed his walking papers sometime in the next few years.

The Wilpons will always be clueless...only they could find a way to screw up a stadium opening, with all of the Dodger crap. They're fixing it now, but it always seems to take the fans and media to get the Wilpons to fix their screw-ups and oversights. The only reason that Antonio Bernazard Garcia is under this sham of an investigation is because the print and radio media got wind of Garcia's nonsense. You can take it to the bank that NOTHING would have been done if this somehow hadn't blown up. You can also take it to the bank that Garcia's Puerto Rican heritage will ensure that Omar, overcome by racial kinship, won't do more than slap him on the wrist...maybe Garcia will read a prewritten, translucent public apology, but not much more than that will happen.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

On another note, as frustrating as the Mets are in all facets, could you imagine being a Pirates' fan?

I know right.. Their fans must be outraged that they can sit in baseline box seats, just feet from the field, for a whopping $26 with free parking in some areas.. Yeah they definitely wish they were sitting in the upper deck at Citi Field for that price like we have to.. and to sit in those same $26 dollar seats (along the baseline at PNC) the cheapest you can get is a mere $175 a ticket a Citi Field.. Not including the fractional cost of $18 to park at Citi

I feel their pain... (My sarcasm is directed towards the Mets, not you CR lol)

On another note, as frustrating as the Mets are in all facets, could you imagine being a Pirates' fan?

I know right.. Their fans must be outraged that they can sit in baseline box seats, just feet from the field, for a whopping $26 with free parking in some areas.. Yeah they definitely wish they were sitting in the upper deck at Citi Field for that price like we have to.. and to sit in those same $26 dollar seats (along the baseline at PNC) the cheapest you can get is a mere $175 a ticket a Citi Field.. Not including the fractional cost of $18 to park at Citi

I feel their pain... (My sarcasm is directed towards the Mets, not you CR lol)

Yeah, can't beat their pricing, and the building itself looks like it's a nice one (apparently CitiField takes some cues from it). I was talking strictly from the on-field POV...as much as the Mets can be a disaster at times (and I've seen my share of awful Met teams...Jeff Torborg and Art Howe anyone?), and as miguided as the Wilpons can be, I do think they at least TRY. The Pirates flat-out don't. The only way they'll ever be good is to have a ton of young talent come up at the same time, and hope they mature so quickly that they have a year or two window to win before all of those players depart. The Mets screw up and screw up royally, but at least we know we have ownership that will spend if inclined. I can't imagine going into EVERY SEASON knowing that my team has almost no chance. That's why I'm finding baseball harder and harder to watch. I'm not absolving the small-market teams of blame either...more than one owner pockets the money he receives via revenue sharing, as opposed to putting it into the product on the field.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

off topic to the discussion you guys are having, but, the Brooklyn Cyclones (Mets' short-season low-A affiliate) will be on SNY tonight at 7pm against the Staten Island Yankees (Yank's low-A affiliate) ..

A few guys to watch, mostly from this year's draft (hopefully all of them are in the lineup tonight, but i doubt it):

-SS Robbie Shields (3rd rd pick this year .. has struggled so far but I hear the kid can pick it at SS)

-1B Sam Honeck (11th rd pick this year .. has put up nice numbers but still looking for his first pro HR)

-OF Alex Gregory (17th rd pick this year .. has put up solid numbers so far, 2nd on the team in doubles with 7 but is still looking for his first pro HR)

-OF Nick Santomauro (10 rd pick this year .. Jersey-born kid, has shown a good eye at the plate in the mere 18 games hes played in, has a HR, and is coming off of back-to-back 3 hit games.. i hope hes in the lineup tonight)

-C Dock Doyle (5th rd pick of last year .. i have always liked Doyle and i think hes one of the underrated catching prospects this team has, but he should be at a higher level like savannah or st lucie considering this is his 2nd pro season coming out of college and he hit very well last year in rookie ball.. i guess if he continues to hit well he'll be eventually bumped up some time this year.. but hes also not the everyday catcher for brooklyn, which makes no sense)

Edited by nmigliore

Yeah I forgot he went there.

Castro has only hit .133/.278/.333 since being traded to the White Sox. In terms of Castro vs Santos its not that bad; overall Castro has the slightly higher OBP and SLG% and Santos has the higher average.. i think Santos better start hitting though, his OPS hasn't even been over .600 since May. I'm not sure where Santos fits into the Mets' plans for 2010, especially if Thole is ready to go at the big league level.. a platoon of Thole/Santos is far too risky for a contending team.

Schneider has been pretty bad this year offensively, although he does have only 8 K's in 96 at bats, so he tends to put the ball in play alot (in fact, Schneider's contact% this year is higher than its ever been in his career), and his BABIP is only .200, so i think hes been hit with some hard luck more than anything.

Edited by nmigliore

Schneider has been pretty bad this year offensively, although he does have only 8 K's in 96 at bats, so he tends to put the ball in play alot (in fact, Schneider's contact% this year is higher than its ever been in his career), and his BABIP is only .200, so i think hes been hit with some hard luck more than anything.

Schnieder Sucks! IMO!

So I'm going to my first CitiField game on Monday. Need suggestions as to what food's good and not, where to check out before/during the game, stuff like that. Fire away friends.

i heard everything in CF (where the bridge is at) is where the best food places are. haven't checked it out yet though

edit: Phils very close to landing Halladay

as if anything worse could happen to the mets.. omar minaya and the wilpons are gonna have their work cut out for them this off-season, thats for sure....

Edited by nmigliore

With the way the baseball gods have butchered the Mets over the past 3 seasons, I'm pretty much numb to the fact the Phillies might land Halliday. If it goes down, I hope Toronto absolutely ravages their minor league system.

The Mets should still be involved in talks for Halliday, at least it would show we're not giving up, they we have something to look forward too...fans would continue showing up and maybe we can at least crawl back into the WC race (division is out of the question) because I am not looking forward to those chilly mid september games when there are 7,000 people at Citi Field and we're 20 out.

Mets @ Astros.

Best of luck tonight guys (but not too much)The Astros have played well of late and look to continue. If the Mets can shut down Berkman, Lee, Matsui and Pence you guys have a shot.

Astros fan?

Santana has had great numbers vs Houston if I recall.. but then again Im alot more worried about our anemic offense opposed to how Santana pitches.

Astros are right in the hunt I see.. only 1.5 out of the NL Central and 3 back of the Wild Card.. oh and dont forget about Miguel Tejada! what a year hes having; .327/.356/.469 with HR and 54 RBI.

Astros fan?

Santana has had great numbers vs Houston if I recall.. but then again Im alot more worried about our anemic offense opposed to how Santana pitches.

Astros are right in the hunt I see.. only 1.5 out of the NL Central and 3 back of the Wild Card.. oh and dont forget about Miguel Tejada! what a year hes having; .327/.356/.469 with HR and 54 RBI.

I root for both Texas teams, if it comes to a split I go with the Rangers, TEXAS Rangers lol :P

Tejada has been good, but don't forget about Ivan "pudge" Rodriguez, he's come up with some timely hits to help us win some games.

Scouting report-Lance Berkman has a dodgy hamstring, he can't run, but he can still hit.

Let's hope it's a good game with no BS calls EITHER way :cheers:

I root for both Texas teams, if it comes to a split I go with the Rangers, TEXAS Rangers lol :P

Tejada has been good, but don't forget about Ivan "pudge" Rodriguez, he's come up with some timely hits to help us win some games.

Scouting report-Lance Berkman has a dodgy hamstring, he can't run, but he can still hit.

Let's hope it's a good game with no BS calls EITHER way :cheers:

I've been wondering for awhile if there was anyone on earth who call themselves an NJ Devils and Texas Rangers fan, and you've been here all along! :lol:

I've been wondering for awhile if there was anyone on earth who call themselves an NJ Devils and Texas Rangers fan, and you've been here all along! :lol:

I kept it quite, but now you've exposed me = BUSTED :angry::P:lol:

Edit, actually I like both Texas Rangers "teams" No, Chuck Norris does not play for either team.

The other TX Rangers REALLY kick ass. IE don't mess with Texas B )

Edited by Neutral Zone Trap