Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

The thing with Castillo is that when the entire offense is going bad he looks especially bad and sticks out like a sore thumb with his weak little hacks and slappy ground outs. But when he's going well he doesn't attract much attention either because all those singles and walks, while very helpful, don't explode out of the stat sheet at you. He's not going to hit Hr's or drive in a ton of runs. But that's not his job.

That's what's happening now. I had no idea how well he was playing until checking the numbers 4-5 days ago. He's been a pretty nice cog in the machine.

Edited by '7'

The thing with Castillo is that when the entire offense is going bad he looks especially bad and sticks out like a sore thumb with his weak little hacks and slappy ground outs. But when he's going well he doesn't attract much attention either because all those singles and walks, while very helpful, don't explode out of the stat sheet at you. He's not going to hit Hr's or drive in a ton of runs. But that's not his job.

That's what's happening now. I had no idea how well he was playing until checking the numbers 4-5 days ago. He's been a pretty nice cog in the machine.

exactly.. his job is to work the count, get on base, and not strikeout too much (toughest guy to K in the NL btw).. hes not asked to be a power hitter or drive in runs.. just set the table with Reyes (and in this year's case, Pagan)..

If he keeps playing like this and keeps his average and OBP up I dont want to see him traded (well hes gonna eventually come back down to earth a little.. i doubt he finishes with an average over .300 by seasons end). But I think he deserves to stick around.

and like i noted before, his numbers out of the 2-hole this year have been pretty damn amazing.

Edited by nmigliore

'12 June 2009 - 10:14 PM'timestamp='1244862858' post='770208']

i just saw the replay again and realized he didnt even bother to use 2 hands.. unbelievable...

they should just dump this toolbag or send his ass to the gulf coast league to play with the little leaguers down there.

Sorry, I'm not getting the sudden lovefest for Castillo based on one big recent month. Yeah, he's playing very well RIGHT NOW, and overall his season stats are good (like you noted, terrific in the #2 hole...I'm guessing his weakest numbers were in the leadoff spot?). But if he goes back to hitting in the .240s and hitting weak lil' slappers that don't clear the infield come August and September, I won't be at all surprised.

If anything, I'm hoping the good play continues only because it will make it easier for the Mets to trade him in the offseason. Like I said, the Mets need to make changes, and I'm not buying into Castillo repeating this season next year.

Sorry, I'm not getting the sudden lovefest for Castillo based on one big recent month. Yeah, he's playing very well RIGHT NOW, and overall his season stats are good (like you noted, terrific in the #2 hole...I'm guessing his weakest numbers were in the leadoff spot?). But if he goes back to hitting in the .240s and hitting weak lil' slappers that don't clear the infield come August and September, I won't be at all surprised.

he also had a big month in april, below average months in may/june but still a good OBP in those months.. i still think its unfair to make it like its just 1 big month.. have you seen Wright's numbers this month? they are terrible (.218/.322/.295).. its not abnormal to have rough months and good months.

i also said he needs to keep up the good hitting the rest of the year, which is when I'll be fully convinced on whether should be our starting 2B next season or not.. i know i added in one of my posts "its only july.." .. alot can change, maybe he'll completely suck and it will be an easy decision to say he needs to go.

btw Castillo's strikeouts have been way down this year (K% in 2008: 11.7, K% in 2009: 6.7), and that has nothing to do with just 1 big month either .. hes also making slightly better overall contact this year.

like i have said, despite the few bothersome defensive blunders, its very hard to say he is not having a great year.. no matter what he hit in what month.. his overall line, as of july 27th 2009, is .305/.402/.365, and thats a great line for a #2 hole hitter (whose numbers are even better than that when hes in the 2-hole).. also throw in the fact hes the toughest guy to strikeout in the NL. its hard to argue the success.

Edited by nmigliore

All I can say is that Omar really makes me appreciate Lou, Parcells, and Jeff Ireland a lot more. What a piece of sh!t.

At this point they should just fire Omar right now. Today. I don't want this a$$hole making so much a single decision regarding the personnel of this team. If it means that the Mets have to spend the rest of the season in a holding pattern, as far as player transactions go, so be it.

At this point they should just fire Omar right now. Today. I don't want this a$$hole making so much a single decision regarding the personnel of this team. If it means that the Mets have to spend the rest of the season in a holding pattern, as far as player transactions go, so be it.

Yeah I saw he fired some guy in the organization today or yesterday.. Probably went crying to the Wilpons telling them this guy was ruining the team.. It'll be someone else next week.. Seems to be pointing fingers everywhere but at himself.. He has them hypnotized.. It's sad

Edited by Colin226

I couldn't believe how high up our seats were yesterday...section 531 row 12. I've never sat in a seat that looks down on the foul pole before.

Also, I've gotten too used to "not a bad seat in the house" like the Rock...both Mets home runs, it was impossible to tell whether they were over the fence or not besides through fan reaction - the sections to the left block your view of everything from right field through almost dead center.

They also apparently failed (again) at the home run apple, at least for Francouer's homer. It twitched but didn't go up until after the inning was over.

I'll go back sometime, but probably not this season, too much of a hassle for me to get there from where I am, and got back wayyy to late last night. Though next time I'm definitely going for Pepsi Porch tickets, it seemed like the most fun section to be in based on walking throughout the stadium.

Yeah I saw he fired some guy in the organization today or yesterday.. Probably went crying to the Wilpons telling them this guy was ruining the team.. It'll be someone else next week.. Seems to be pointing fingers everywhere but at himself.. He has them hypnotized.. It's sad

Colin, pick yourself up a Daily News to get the scoop on what's been happening. The guy he fired was Tony Bernazard, but suffice it to say that there's a LOT to this story, and it would make for a very long post if I told you the whole thing from the beginning. Suffice it to say that the whole Bernazard mess is hardly a proud chapter in the history of this franchise.

nah the guy they fired was Tony Bernazard who Omar actually liked.. he only fired him because of the negative stories about him in the Daily News (by Adam Rubin).. so in the press conference he took a shot at Rubin to sack some revenge (because obviously Omar would have never fired Tony B if those stories didnt leak) and he made himself look like an idiot.. he basically accused Rubin of wanting a player development job with the team so he wrote negative stories to take out Bernazard..

Whats even more strange is the 2nd press conference where Jeff Wilpon was on Rubin's side that he was not seeking a player development job but instead seeking career advice. And yet... for some reason.. standing next to Jeff Wilpon, Omar defended himself by still standing by what he said that Rubin seeked to get a job with the team, even though Wilpon basically shot it down just seconds before, again standing RIGHT next to him.. very weird. And of course Omar cant even speak right, and Jeff Wilpon actually had to correct him when he couldn't get the words out of one of the statements he was trying to make. :lol:

Edited by nmigliore

They also apparently failed (again) at the home run apple, at least for Francouer's homer. It twitched but didn't go up until after the inning was over.

ahaaa.. i heard boo'ing after Francoeur's HR but I couldn't figure it out

Also, I've gotten too used to "not a bad seat in the house" like the Rock...both Mets home runs, it was impossible to tell whether they were over the fence or not besides through fan reaction - the sections to the left block your view of everything from right field through almost dead center.

Yeah the corners are a bit of an annoyance, for a stadium with 'only' 42,000 seats, a lot of them seem to have blind spots. The Mets really did a terrible job in misleading everyone with the stadium hype, I was led to believe there wouldn't be a bad seat here and that everyone who sat in the stadium would have access to the Promenade club, neither are true.

Yeah the apple needs 30 to 45 seconds of down time in between raises to charge.. So i guess they figured with the large ballpark it'd be impossible to hit back-to-back HR's.. Talk about confidence in your team :whistling:

Edited by Colin226

I agree 110%... at least Jeff Wilpon came out and apologized to Rubin on behalf of the organization, but Omar was compeletely out of line. It was one of the lowest, most unprofessioanal things I've ever seen- and it brought even more embaressment to an organization that has embaressed themselves enough over the years. Omar should be fired, no questions asked.

I agree 110%... at least Jeff Wilpon came out and apologized to Rubin on behalf of the organization, but Omar was compeletely out of line. It was one of the lowest, most unprofessioanal things I've ever seen- and it brought even more embaressment to an organization that has embaressed themselves enough over the years. Omar should be fired, no questions asked.

they're going to let him twist in the wind. that's what they always do.