Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

Working on my final Mets' top 50 prospects list for 2010 (Im too lazy to wait until after they finish fall/winter leagues).. I've already ranked the prospects by level (AAA, AA, high-A, low-A, SSA, rookie leagues). Now I just need to create the top 50 of all of those prospects combined (yeah, the hard part).

Edited by nmigliore

Actually went to Yankee Stadium this past Saturday (Yankees won 3-0). It pains me to say it, and Yankee Stadium did cost quite a bit more than CitiField, but it absolutely blows the Mets' new building away in every possible way. Not even close. I know Yankee Stadium has gotten some criticism here and there, but the place really captures the essence of the old building perfectly, while seamlessly blending in modern touches and conveniences. All of it just reiterated everything that's wrong with CitiField...it simply doesn't feel like the Mets' home...it just feels like a place where the Mets happen to play.

nmig, you've definitely got my vote for most dedicated/most improved poster this year. Last year you were prone to incoherent, fair-weather, nonsensical rants. This season you've often backed up your ideas with facts and research, and in this nightmare of a season you've tried to give us as much info on what's down on the farm as possible. That's all we've really got at this point.

I'm just so tired of this damn team. I've seen some trainwrecks before (haven't all Mets fans?), but when David Wright loafed the other day...I'm now at a complete loss. You'd think a guy who's hit 10 fvcking home runs...never mind. I'm done ranting about this bunch of a$$holes...same old thing.

I feel like an ass, I can't remember the last time I watched an entire mets game from start to finish. maybe early august? sigh its been one of those years.

looking back at that link to page 9 reminded me how good we felt going into the season, praying it might finally be our year. at the end of last year i was pissed and angry but this year it's just sadness. i feel sorry to all the fans who went and paid a lot to go to citi, i feel bad for all the players that got hurt, i feel bad for the players that had to take there place. we knew what we had to do going into the last 2 offseasons but now it's where the hell do we go from here. the life of a mets fan.

Nmig's New York Mets Top 50 Prospect List (2010)

1. Fernando Martinez - OF (AAA)

2. Jenrry Mejia - RHSP (AA)

3. Ike Davis - 1B (AA)

4. Wilmer Flores - SS (low-A)

5. Brad Holt - RHSP (AA)

6. Jon Niese - LHSP (AAA)

7. Reese Havens - SS (high-A)

8. Jeurys Familia - RHSP (low-A)

9. Kyle Allen - RHSP (low-A)

10. Kirk Nieuwenhuis - OF (high-A)

11. Jefry Marte - 3B (low-A)

12. Ruben Tejada - SS (AA)

13. Josh Thole - C (AA)

14. Zach Lutz - 3B (A+)

15. Eric Niesen - LHSP (AA)

16. Robert Carson - LHSP (low-A)

17. Cesar Puello - OF (Rk)

18. Brant Rustich - RHRP (high-A)

19. Eric Beaulac - RHSP (low-A)

20. Aderlin Rodriguez - 3B (Rk)

21. Dillon Gee - RHSP (AAA)

22. Nicholas Santomauro - OF (SSA)

23. Javier Rodriguez - OF (Rk)

24. Richard Lucas - 3B (SSA)

25. Scott Moviel - RHSP (high-A)

26. Darrell Ceciliani - OF (Rk)

27. Francisco Pena - C (high-A)

28. Alonzo Harris - 2B (Rk)

29. Nicholas Carr - RHRP (high-A)

30. Eddie Kunz - RHRP (AAA)

31. Nelfi Zapata - C (Rk)

32. Jordany Valdespin - 2B (SSA)

33. Armando Rodriguez - RHSP (Rk)

34. Carlos Guzman - OF (high-A)

35. Lucas Duda - OF (AA)

36. Dock Doyle - C (SSA)

37. Brahiam Maldonado - OF (high-A)

38. Joshua Satin - 2B (low-A)

39. Eduardo Aldama - RHSP (Rk)

40. Stefan Welch - 1B (high-A)

41. Jhonathan Torres - LHSP (Rk)

42. Sean Ratliff - OF (low-A)

43. Alex Gregory - OF (SSA)

44. Jose De La Torre - RHRP (AA)

45. Josh Stinson - RHRP (high-A)

46. Scott Shaw - RHSP (high-A)

47. James Fuller - LHSP (SSA)

48. Robbie Shields - SS (SSA)

49. Ray Van Gurp - 2B (Rk)

50. Joseph Bonfe - 3B (Rk)

Just Missed: Roy Merritt - LHRP (AA), Camden Maron - C (Rk), Yohan Almonte - RHSP (Rk), Collin McHugh - RHSP (SSA).

(Note - Some of the guys on the lower part, for instance Robbie Shields, has a higher ceiling than some of the people ahead of him.. I ranked him at 48 for now since he struggled quite a bit in his Short-Season A debut this year, but that could easily change next year and he could suddenly explode into the top 20.. same goes for a few other guys on the list)

edit: oops, I shoulda added I did not include this year's draftees that didn't play, ie: Matz, Dotson, etc.. If I had to put them on the list I would put Matz somewhere in the top 20 and Dotson somewhere in the mid to upper 20's.

Edited by nmigliore

I feel like an ass, I can't remember the last time I watched an entire mets game from start to finish. maybe early august? sigh its been one of those years.

looking back at that link to page 9 reminded me how good we felt going into the season, praying it might finally be our year. at the end of last year i was pissed and angry but this year it's just sadness. i feel sorry to all the fans who went and paid a lot to go to citi, i feel bad for all the players that got hurt, i feel bad for the players that had to take there place. we knew what we had to do going into the last 2 offseasons but now it's where the hell do we go from here. the life of a mets fan.

I didn't feel that good about them, going in. I had them at 84 wins. nmig had them at 80. I never envisioned injuries decimating the team to that kind of scale, but let's face it, even healthy this team was showing all of the same maddening qualities of the '07 and '08 squads.

Unfortunately nmig's list shows that immediate help isn't coming from within. I'm hoping this roster looks markedly different come Opening Day 2010, and the only guy who should be an untouchable is Santana...I never though I'd say this, but I've even had it with David Wright. I'm fine with the Mets trading anyone else, though I'd rather someone (ANYONE) other than Omar was calling the shots. I'm hoping with Wilpons come to life and rid themselves of this used car salesman, but it looks like (due to financial considerations more than anything else) that Omar's here to stay.

It's amazing how much of a waste and disaster this season was. Even the new building...the one thing we were all truly excited about...is kind of a "meh" thing.

Mets load bases with 0 outs in the top of the 1st, do they get a hit?

of course not. The only way we can score is a Beltran walk. I have never seen a worse team with the bases loaded. Even if it's Wright or a somewhat respectable player like Murphy. They always choke.

Possible uni change for 2010?

The Mets plan to go retro with their pinstriped home uniforms next season. Those uniforms will change to off-white, as they were in the 1960s, from their current bright white. That will also serve to differentiate the pinstriped uniforms from the solid home uniforms, which will remain the brighter white.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/2009/09/nats-2-mets-1-five-to-go.html#ixzz0SXejQyVN

I'd like to see them ditch the black alternate and go to a blue

again, I've never seen a team so gutless and retarded with the bases loaded. Again in the top of the 8th!!! Goodbye and good riddance to Brian Schneider. Pukes couldn't even get a big hit against Clippard and JC Martin?

And of course Dukes makes the catch as god takesa dump on the Mets again.

I hope the front office is still paying attention, because this team under Jerry Manuel quit over a month ago. Flat out STOPPED COMPETING. It's not acceptable and Manuel must be fired.

Edited by '7'

Yeah the Mets are replacing their regular pinstripe uniforms with the old school 1960 pinstripe uniforms next year, which I think is awesome.

And OF COURSE Elijah Dukes makes that catch... well, at least some good news: Mets guaranteed themselves at worst the 7th pick in next year's draft.

Edited by nmigliore

Who can we sign to split time with Santos next year while Thole gets another year in the minors? The UFA catcher crop of 2010 is very old. Jason Kendall might be the best of the bunch but his average has been in a steep decline and he and might command too much money.

Bay or Holliday for LF...maybe Crawford if the Rays don't pick up his option.

I've kind of soured a bit on Francoeur and his swing at everything approach, I don't know if he could ever be fixed though I like everything else about his game and attitude. Instead of trying for a big 1st basemen and big left fielder, maybe we can leave Murphy at 1st and get two corner outfielders. Bobby Abreu is the perfect professional hitter. Works counts, walksm drives in runs, steals bases. Can field pretty well just as long as he's not near a wall...and with Citi Field dimensions he'll never come near an outfield wall even if he wanted to.

Reyes

Castillo

Wright

Beltran

Bay

Abreu

Murphy

Santos/somebody

Pitcher

but Wilpon probably wouldn't want to spend the money.

or we can just do the rumored Murphy/Fmart/whoever else package to Toronto for Halladay and extend him, cross our fingers with Delgado, and get somebody like Marlon Byrd or Randy Winn to play left. And even though this is pushing the envelope with Wilpons money and a total pipe dream, I still would want another pitcher after Halladay because I barely trust Pelfrey and have no faith in either Maine or Perez doing well and staying healthy themselves. Either take a chance on Ben Sheets or Doug Davis. Even if you have an awesome 1 and 2, it doesn't do you a lot of good if you're #3 is a headcase with a 5 era and your 4 and 5 can't stay on the field and throw strikes.

Reyes

Castillo

Wright

Beltran

Delgado

Francoeur

Byrd

Santos/Somebody

Pitcher

Santana

Halladay

Davis

Pelfrey

Maine

Edited by '7'

Randy Winn is just awful, we would be better off sticking FMart out there. I'm not really a fan of Marlon Byrd either, hes more or less a product of that ballpark in Arlington (.734 road OPS this year and a .773 road OPS last year).. Halladay would cost too many prospects, they are better off trying cheaper alternative options like Ben Sheets who can be a #2 when healthy. The rotation 'locks' will surely be Santana, Pelfrey, Perez (whether we like it or not). Niese should have the 5th starter's job to lose, and so Doug Davis really doesn't fit (unless he was a #2 starter, which he isn't).

For catcher we should look into, dare I say it, Gregg Zaun. His value has been slightly higher than Bengie Molina's this year (I kid you not either - Molina has a 1.4 WAR, Zaun has a 1.8) and he would cost much less than Molina, would accept a 1-year deal, and wouldn't cost us our 2nd round a draft pick. Santos should be OK as the backup and if worse comes to worst, and both catchers suck by midseason, you can just DFA one of them (preferably Santos) and call-up Thole. Miguel Olivo is also an interesting name if you want to add a little power.. But the catching position shouldn't be something the Mets try to buy heavy on; the market is awful and a cheap option like Zaun or Olivo (depending on his price tag/years) seems decent enough. (edit - i just realized both zaun and olivo have options for 2010, so its possible 1 or both dont ever hit the free agent market this winter)

For 1B, I would try to go for 1-year stop-gap guy (because of Ike Davis and the strong possibility of him being our starting 1B in 2011) .. I would love to nab Adam LaRoche on a 1 year deal but I'm sure he'll get a better offer than that.. There are some 'I would take a 1 year deal' options like Delgado and Branyan, but obviously they are both major risks (Delgado - production + injury, Branyan - production, hes been awful since the ASG). Mark DeRosa could be an option too.. Nick Johnson would be a really nice guy to have on a 1 year deal. I should add its quite possible Davis could come up by mid-season and just steal the 1B job from whomever has it, but that depends on who has it and how that person is doing.

LF, there are some nice options.. Holliday, Bay, perhaps a trade for Carl Crawford, Abreu.. this is where I would spend my money.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head for now.. yeah I know its nothing drastic, but I don't believe the team needs a drastic overhaul. The core of Reyes, Beltran, Wright, and Santana is quite fine to build around. I also think the free agent market is so weak that there really is not many players worth a big contract besides, say, a Matt Holliday or Jason Bay.

Edited by nmigliore

So I ended up getting tickets for Friday's game with my fiancee. Somewhere in the 400's. Anyone got any suggestions as to what's a good sight to see in Citi Field? Anyone else gonna be there?

The on-field product is a disaster. I'd try to do my best to avoid watching the sleepwalkers masquerading as ballplayers, but unfortunately I guess you're stuck seeing that.

The Wilpons apparently weren't smart enough to realize that Mets fans are more into Met history than Brooklyn Dodger history, so there's no real great monument area to check out. The Jackie Robinson rotunda is kinda cool, though the fact that he never actually came to bat for the Mets is lost on the Wilpons.

As far as modern ballparks go, it's about average I'd say...it's not a bad building by any means, but there's nothing about it that really stands out or has you saying "Wow!" once you get past the newness aspect. The Shake Shack is pretty good, when you don't have to wait 2+ innings to get a shake, and can actually move around the nearby concourse. Yeah, the outside looks a bit like Ebbets Field...being that I (and 95% of Met fans) weren't around to see Ebbets Field, why should I care that it pays homage to a ballpark and team that has nothing to do with the one I watch, outside of one of its colors being Dodger Blue?

So I ended up getting tickets for Friday's game with my fiancee. Somewhere in the 400's. Anyone got any suggestions as to what's a good sight to see in Citi Field? Anyone else gonna be there?

Bullpen bridge out in CF area where the Shake Shack is. There are also picnic tables out there in CF if you can get a spot there to watch the game. Have fun.

Jose Reyes has a tear in his right hamstring, according to a recent MRI, the team told reporters following today’s game.

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/09/30/news-jose-reyes-now-has-a-torn-hamstring/

Ugh.. Im not even going to bother. Awful. I really question where our medical staff came from, I really do. This all could have been avoided if the Mets actually SHUT HIM DOWN and let him get surgery from the beginning (or in August when clearly things weren't improving) instead of having him run every couple weeks, attempting to make some POINTLESS September return... seriously.. what the hell was the point of pushing him to return this year? Sell seats? This medical staff is a joke. The 2nd biggest acquisition Omar Minaya can make this winter is signing a new medical staff (first biggest being getting pitching coach Dave Duncan over here).

Edited by nmigliore

Everything blew up on KRod in the bottom of the 9th last night vs. the nats. :puke:

This just describes the whole Mets season in a nutshell last night as KRod gives up the Grand Slam and the Mets lose 7-4 to the Nats and get swept in the 3-game series. Wow, just embarrassing. Mets blew a 3-1 and then the 4-2 lead in the bottom of the 9th. They just find ways to lose in a very strange and disappointing season. Three more games to wrap up their nightmare season at Citi Field vs. the Astros. The Mets need a sweep over the Astos if they want to finish one game over .500 at Citi Field. Right now they are 38-40 at Citi Field.

http://www.metsblog.com/2009/09/30/news-jose-reyes-now-has-a-torn-hamstring/

Ugh.. Im not even going to bother. Awful. I really question where our medical staff came from, I really do. This all could have been avoided if the Mets actually SHUT HIM DOWN and let him get surgery from the beginning (or in August when clearly things weren't improving) instead of having him run every couple weeks, attempting to make some POINTLESS September return... seriously.. what the hell was the point of pushing him to return this year? Sell seats? This medical staff is a joke. The 2nd biggest acquisition Omar Minaya can make this winter is signing a new medical staff (first biggest being getting pitching coach Dave Duncan over here).

Classic Mets. You must just have to sit back and laugh with how incompetent one team can be. And as for Dave Duncan, maybe he can make Ollie a good pitcher who throws strikes and maybe the Mets can get some of their investment on him back. But if LaRussa is sensitive to the media enough to sue Twitter over a fake account, how's he going to take the NY media?

Classic Mets. You must just have to sit back and laugh with how incompetent one team can be. And as for Dave Duncan, maybe he can make Ollie a good pitcher who throws strikes and maybe the Mets can get some of their investment on him back. But if LaRussa is sensitive to the media enough to sue Twitter over a fake account, how's he going to take the NY media?

I didn't say LaRussa. Just Duncan, who might leave STL after this year.

Edited by nmigliore

Aren't Duncan and LaRussa pretty much a package deal at this point? I thought LaRussa's contract was up too, or he had an out at least.

As far as the Mets, this season can't end fast enough. Unfortunately playing fast and loose with Reyes for no good reason might already be the first black mark on 2010. Get rid of the medical staff and trainers but also the management that pushes players to play when they shouldn't, among their other sins.

I dont know, I just remember reading Duncan might want to leave St Louis after this year.. And yes LaRussa's contract is up too. Whether they remain a pair or not, I have no idea.

But assuming Duncan goes solo, I would love for the Mets to bring him in as the pitching coach and replace Warthen.

Ken Davidoff had an article than mentioned the Mets should go after Duncan..

b) Dave Duncan. I'm skeptical that he'll leave the Cardinals. St. Louis' pitching coach and his manager, Tony La Russa, have worked side by side for 27 years. But Duncan did voice his displeasure about the way the Cardinals treated his son, Chris, this past season, and as the linked St. Louis Post-Dispatch story notes, Duncan no longer works in conjunction with the Cardinals' developmental staff on pitching.

Duncan will be busy for a while yet, what with the Cardinals heading into the playoffs. Yet that shouldn't stop the Mets from sending messages through discreet intermediaries that they would LOVE to have him on their staff in 2010 and beyond.

And, once the Cardinals finish their postseason, whether in a week or in a month, the Mets should blow away Duncan with an offer befitting his experience and accomplishments; it's believed that he and Texas' Mike Maddux make in the $600,000 range, so topping that by even 50 percent would be nothing compared to player investments. And all evidence points to Duncan having a significant impact on the pitching staff that he receives.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ken-davidoff-s-baseball-insider-1.1278117/ten-things-i-think-i-think-yankees-red-sox-rays-mets-twins-tigers-nl-cy-young-and-yom-kippur-1.1483880

Edited by nmigliore

from what I've heard the only reason they may split up is if LaRussa stays in STL and Duncan leaves because they traded Chris Duncan. But other than that I think they're a package

edit: what I said before was assuming that they were a package deal just so you know

Edited by DH26

from what I've heard the only reason they may split up is if LaRussa stays in STL and Duncan leaves because they traded Chris Duncan.

Yeah this is what I meant. He (Duncan) probably wont end up leaving though, and if he does, I doubt the Mets are smart enough to bring him aboard.

Edited by nmigliore