Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

Anyway, some Mets news:

NYPost_Mets The Mets have told J.J. Putz that they don't intend to pick up his 2010 option and will buy him out instead for $1 million.

That was pretty much a no-brainer. I would be interested in bringing back Putz on a 1 year incentive-based deal though.

Edit: And the Mets added 3B "prospect" (I somewhat hesitate to call him that anymore) Shawn Bowman to the 40-man roster to protect from the Rule 5 Draft. Bowman plays a strong defensive game at 3B but he has no plate discipline and his power hasn't developed as the team would have liked. He also has had injury problems with his back. He probably ends up a bench bat at best, there is no way he is a starter with the plate discipline he has.

Edited by nmigliore

LOL i'm reading alot of smack, nonsense, un-intelligent, gloating gibberish today and that's the reason why i never rooted for the Yankees and i lived through the 80's and early 90's (when they sucked) when most of these "fans" weren't there, weren't born yet, couldn't name half the players or never heard of the team.

I'd rather pull for my lowly Padres whom i've supported since i was a kid then be grouped in with these clowns.

The only answer they resort to is "WE HAVE MORE CHAMPIONSHIPS THEN YOU!" or "We'll Win again becuase we'll buy more players in the offseason!" or "everyone wants to wear pinstripes!"

Funny, no one wanted to wear pinstripes, talked Yankee Pride or wanted to go to games in the Bronx out of fear of crime (Steinbrenner wanted to move them citing this) in 1988 or 1990 or any of those 80's or early to mid-90's teams that were from bad to average to just a playoff team.

...but you will anyway! OR, (like my wife says in regards to my son) until the toddler gets the last word.. whichever comes first. ;)

Anyway, I'm done here. I can see this is becoming a 'parting-shot' game, and I really vested more time acknowledging your stand'up than I should've. I'm not interested in going back and forth with explanations of rhetoric, when the double-talking worked just fine in the first place. I'm sure one of (if not all) of my posts will be dissected going forward for spelling from the peanut gallery, and I fully appreciate that in advance.

In closing however, I would like to thank you for all the hating, really gave me alot more laughs than I figured it would..... and come next year (after Holliday helps the Yanks to #28) it'll be my pleasure to read more of your 'YANKEE$!' post(s) CR. (and I say that in all sincerity) It's Mets fans like you, that make the Yankees success that much sweeter. If your posts are this funny, after a 9 year World Series drought... next season can't come soon enough. ;)

...until then, please... CONTINUE POSTING! I haven't really decided yet on what sig material I'm going to use here, (there's so much to choose from) although if you can provide more.. go right ahead. This pure display of bitterness and animosity, only makes Yankee fans delight over 27, that much more.

*Beezer - Out.

Well, I thought we might be able to discuss, but I don't speak blowhard and chestbeating, so you're right, no point in going on. I can't believe you actually thought my last post was a "parting shot" and an attempt to get the last word in. You completely missed all of my points, and what I was going for...if you could get over yourself for five minutes you'd see that, if I'm knocking anything at all, it's the system in place, and not the Yankees for operating within it.

*CR76 - Also Out.

LOL i'm reading alot of smack, nonsense, un-intelligent, gloating gibberish today and that's the reason why i never rooted for the Yankees and i lived through the 80's and early 90's (when they sucked) when most of these "fans" weren't there, weren't born yet, couldn't name half the players or never heard of the team.

I'd rather pull for my lowly Padres whom i've supported since i was a kid then be grouped in with these clowns.

The only answer they resort to is "WE HAVE MORE CHAMPIONSHIPS THEN YOU!" or "We'll Win again becuase we'll buy more players in the offseason!" or "everyone wants to wear pinstripes!"

Funny, no one wanted to wear pinstripes, talked Yankee Pride or wanted to go to games in the Bronx out of fear of crime (Steinbrenner wanted to move them citing this) in 1988 or 1990 or any of those 80's or early to mid-90's teams that were from bad to average to just a playoff team.

As much as I'm not a Yankee fan, I was happy for my uncle. Because he's always been a die-hard Yankee fan. He was watching those wretched Mel Hall Yankees as much as he's been watching this year, and rooting just as hard.

Baseball America released its Mets' 2010 top 10 prospects lists today.

topprospects.png

If the image isn't working, its:

1. Jenrry Mejia, rhp

2. Wilmer Flores, ss

3. Fernando Martinez, of

4. Ike Davis, 1b

5. Brad Holt, rhp

6. Jon Niese, lhp

7. Reese Havens, 2b/ss

8. Josh Thole, c

9. Ruben Tejada, 2b/ss

10. Juan Urbina, lhp

Though the Mets bring in more money than most big league clubs, they continued to remain conservative in the draft. They spent just $3.1 million on the 2009 draft, the lowest figure in baseball. New York forfeited its first-round pick as compensation for Rodriguez and used its top choice (second round) on Long Island high school lefthander Steve Matz.

The Mets don't spend the money in the draft like their cross-town rivals do. But the Mets do invest heavily in the Latin American market. Five of the team's Top 10 Prospects, including No. 1 prospect Jenrry Mejia, were signed as international free agents.

Full Article Here

Re: the list - I can understand why Mejia is ahead of F-Mart, but I'm not ready to put Flores ahead of him. The last few names - Ruben Tejada, Josh Thole, and Juan Urbina I think are a bit overrated (on this list). I thought Jeurys Familia, Kyle Allen, and Kirk Nieuwenhuis deserved top 10 credit, but its not a big deal considering they were probably right below them.

Re: the draft strategy - Pretty much what the quote says. The Mets don't go overslot as much as they should.

Edited by nmigliore

Wanted to quickly check in...

The Mets will speak with the Blue Jays about the possibility of a Roy Halladay trade, just as they did last summer. While they know they're not the favorites, they're encouraged - somewhat, at least - by history. Absolutely no one anticipated that they would wind up with Johan Santana, and yet they did, because 1) The Yankees and Red Sox were largely bluffing over their interest in Santana; 2) The Twins were absolutely bluffing when they said they'd gladly keep Santana for the final year of his contract, in 2008.

Such a deal would clearly hit the Mets' farm system, which is already weak. But it's certainly worth exploring.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ken-davidoff-s-baseball-insider-1.1278117/the-mets-roy-halladay-matt-holliday-and-pat-burrell-1.1578232

doubt anything will go down with Halladay, but it is kinda strong to paint the Mets farm system as weak. Don't most have it as middle of the road?

I would say a little worse than middle of the pack. But I rather not flush out the top guys for Halladay.

I mean I would definitely inquire about the price of him and Adrian Gonzalez (which the Mets are doing, supposedly), there's definitely no harm in doing so, but in the end it will most likely cost way too much.

Edited by nmigliore

True...but I think the Yankees winning is going to put a lot of pressure on them. Plus I heard Joe and Evan on WFAN briefly discussing rumors about Halladay being traded to the Phillies, that would really make Mets execs nervous. I never get a sense of unity from the organization. Are they committed to adding a piece here and there while keeping the prospects or are they "all in" for 2010.

I have a feeling it's going to be Holliday, Wolf, resign Delgado and get everybody healthy.

Edited by '7'

I say, not that it matters or anything, DO IT! Farm system sucks anyway, plus we can make up for some of what we lose with the early pick too. If I ever see another Mets season where halfway through our 2nd best pitcher is FERNANDO NIEVE I might explode. You get the Halladay/Santana your the talk of the town and give your damn fans something to believe in. Any chance Putz comes back? I know they turned down his monster option, as they should, but we still need bullpen help and could probably get him cheap.

the Mets farm system is middle of the pack FTR.

They'll sign Wolf who will pitch well at Citi Field. (though I would rather see them trade for Halladay and sign a guy like Brad Penny or Rich Harden to a 1-year deal)

They'll sign Holliday and he'll underachieve.

they'll sign Bengie Molina which is ok (i'm just relieved Schneider is gone).

I'm praying they work out a deal to get rid of Castillo so we can finally sign Orlando Hudson.

I wonder if Mike Sweeney could be our guy to platoon at 1B with Murphy though I'm not sure how much he's played first the past couple years.

Among Other Things, Dodgers Interested in Castillo

Would you entertain this as a sell-high move? Or would you rather have Castillo?

I heard the Cubs were also interested. I'm not sure why the Dodgers would be interested considering their ownership issues. Anyway, if they are willing to take his entire contract - do it. I wouldn't go crazy with Hudson though, something funky like a 1 year deal with recurring options through 2012 sounds pretty good. Or if you don't want to work it that way, then the max amount of guaranteed years I would give him is 2.

Dh26 - Figgins doesn't fit, his best value is at 3B where hes an excellent fielder. Hes been below average at 2B defensively when hes played there. Yes I think hes a good player, but hes looking for a 4-5 year commitment that pays him $8-10M per year -- no thanks, especially when he won't be playing his best position. I know the Mets have been linked to him, but I believe that is just to drive up his price for the Phillies.

Edited by nmigliore

Dh26 - Figgins doesn't fit, his best value is at 3B where hes an excellent fielder. Hes been below average at 2B defensively when hes played there. Yes I think hes a good player, but hes looking for a 4-5 year commitment that pays him $8-10M per year -- no thanks, especially when he won't be playing his best position. I know the Mets have been linked to him, but I believe that is just to drive up his price for the Phillies.

yeah that was the only reason I brought it up, because the mets were tied to him, but I'd still go after Hudson and trade Castillo

Among Other Things, Dodgers Interested in Castillo

Would you entertain this as a sell-high move? Or would you rather have Castillo?

I'm for any move that gets Castillo off the team. I don't care what he hit last year...this team needs an identity shake-up, and Castillo in a Met uniform just doesn't scream "winner" to me.

I'm for any move that gets Castillo off the team. I don't care what he hit last year...this team needs an identity shake-up, and Castillo in a Met uniform just doesn't scream "winner" to me.

If it requires eating a good chunk of his remaining salary, its not worth, considering all the other holes to fill.

If another team is willing to take on most or all of it, I have no problem with it. The 2B market is fairly strong though (Polanco, Hudson, Lopez coming off a huge year, Uggla is available on the trade market), which leads me to believe - why would any team WANT to trade for an overpaid Castillo?

Edited by nmigliore

Castillo did a decent enough job last year to show he can be a cog in a winning team. He has before. Scrappy hitter, works long AB's and draws walks, won't strike out much, can steal a base. Out pressing concerns right now is a #2 and left field. I agree with nmigliore, these Figgins rumors are just to drive the cost up for Philly...we don't have space for him here.

Lackey has been the more consistent starter, younger, had some injury issues but overall has very good numbers pitching in the AL. Wolf is coming off a better year overall. Has been somewhat up and down over the course of his career. Held his own pitching in that joke of a ballpark in Philly and then bounced around a bit. Could conceivably give you just as good a season while still leaving you enough $$$ to pursue that big left fielder

If we get Holliday...it's going to be Wolf, Sheets or Doug Davis. If we get Lackey it might be Marlon Byrd or we just go with an in house platoon solution again.

this is also a situation the Mets need to monitor.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2009/11/14/1157162/carl-crawford-wants-out-of-tampa

I hope Delgado gets resigned but Molina at C scares me. He's pretty old and might be close to that time where a catcher just falls apart. It doesn't look pretty. I'd look at Josh Bard, though he isn't exactly young either he has far less wear and tear than Molina.

Edited by '7'

Lackey has been the more consistent starter, younger, had some injury issues but overall has very good numbers pitching in the AL. Wolf is coming off a better year overall. Has been somewhat up and down over the course of his career. Held his own pitching in that joke of a ballpark in Philly and then bounced around a bit. Could conceivably give you just as good a season while still leaving you enough $$$ to pursue that big left fielder

If we get Holliday...it's going to be Wolf, Sheets or Doug Davis. If we get Lackey it might be Marlon Byrd or we just go with an in house platoon solution again.

this is also a situation the Mets need to monitor.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2009/11/14/1157162/carl-crawford-wants-out-of-tampa

I would like to see them sign Harden or Sheets AND bring in Randy Wolf too. I'd be satisfied with the rotation then:

Santana

Harden/Sheets

Wolf

Pelfrey

Maine/Perez/Niese

They should also monitor the market for Erik Bedard.

re: Crawford - Don't want. I love him as a player and all, but hes going to cost top prospects. Why bother trading for him when Matt Holliday is on the market?

re: catcher - My first choice is looking through the trade market - Kelly Shoppach, Ryan Doumit, etc .. if nothing pops up, go with Gregg Zaun.

Edited by nmigliore

I wonder if Pittsburgh would do Doumit for Murphy straight up?

And where does Murphy fit with this team in the future? 1st is locked up, 3rd is locked up. LF is about to be locked up and the Mets would never want to revisit that disaster anyway.

Maybe they still have plans to convert him to 2nd and stick it out with Castillo through 2010. Luis would be easier to move next offseason.

I wonder if Pittsburgh would do Doumit for Murphy straight up?

That would provide salary relief for the Pirates, but I think it would require a little more than Murphy, especially considering Doumit is only 1 year removed from an excellent offensive season. Kelly Shoppach could be non-tendered though, and the Mets should go after him if he is.

And where does Murphy fit with this team in the future? 1st is locked up, 3rd is locked up. LF is about to be locked up and the Mets would never want to revisit that disaster anyway.

Maybe they still have plans to convert him to 2nd and stick it out with Castillo through 2010. Luis would be easier to move next offseason.

Well he'll probably be a part-time 1B this year along with a right-handed platoon mate, assuming the Mets stick to that plan. After that... he really doesn't fit anywhere, besides on the bench as a utility player. Reese Havens is probably the 2B of the future, so if they let Murphy play some games at 2B in spring or something it will just be for practice at that position. I don't know yet if Murphy is an everyday regular; you can't possibly make that assessment based off 1 year especially with a guy who skipped AAA entirely, but a future regular as a Met? I highly doubt it.

Edited by nmigliore

I'm surprised nobody posted about this yet - Wally Backman was hired to be the manager of Brooklyn Cyclones.

Brooklyn, NY (AHN) - Former New York Mets second baseman Wally Backman is back with the team as a minor league manager. Backman will manager the Brooklyn Cyclones.

Major league players like Carlos Quentin, Conor Jackson, Aaron Rowand, and Dan Uggla have been impacted by Backman's work in the minors.

Players have raved about how he is one of the few managers that knows how to maximize a solid working relationship in the clubhouse and maximize talents on the field. He's a player's coach.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017019206

Hmm.... I wonder if we will one day see Backman managing the Mets.

edit, 4:55pm: Some other coaching news - Just read that Sandy Alomar Jr bolted for Cleveland to take their 1B coach job .. Tim Teufel was promoted to manage the Binghamton Mets (Double A team).

Edited by nmigliore

Hmm.... I wonder if we will one day see Backman managing the Mets.

It'll probably take him awhile to prove that he's on the straight and narrow after his debacle in Arizona, but he did have a great rep as a minor league mgr for developing players so there's always a shot

It'll probably take him awhile to prove that he's on the straight and narrow after his debacle in Arizona, but he did have a great rep as a minor league mgr for developing players so there's always a shot

you mean Arizona's debacle. They're the ones who didn't do the proper background check/ask all the questions before hiring him. Backman never lied or tried to deceive Arizona in any way. Plus that was like 5 years ago (and the incidents were 10 years ago), the guy more than deserves a shot imo.

I heard him on Francessa yesterday and he kept hammering the fact that he will "teach the kids how to play the game the right way"

I hope Reyes has to spend a week in Brooklyn at some point this season rehabbing cause he could really use a lesson or two