Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

Anybody else hear those rumors about Bengie Molina wanting a 3rd year on his contract? If those are true he can take a hike...

Haha yeah I read that. That's just ridiculous. I hope we don't cave in to him... I highly doubt anyone would give him 2 years ~$6M per, let alone 3. That's just nuts.

D731: Yeah it would be nice, although we didn't get him yet -- Hubbuch edited his blog post to just "offered" Escobar a MiL deal, so he didn't sign yet. In fact I can't stand all of these conflicting reports -- NY Times had Mets close to deal with the Japanese reliever Igarashi but some Japanese article says the Red Sox are in the lead for him. I guess I jumped the gun a bit with those 2 guys. Hopefully we sign them though.

UPDATE, 12/17: Mets announced the signing of Ryota Igarashi to a 2 year deal.

Edited by nmigliore

Report: Nationals to sign Marquis

The dude basically begged to play for the Mets next season, and now he's going to sign with the Nationals with barely any talks? On the surface, this looks like a huge PR miscue by the Mets front office...I'm sure there are reasons that he's not a Met beyond the public eye, but I'm not in tune with these reasons. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Report: Nationals to sign Marquis

The dude basically begged to play for the Mets next season, and now he's going to sign with the Nationals with barely any talks? On the surface, this looks like a huge PR miscue by the Mets front office...I'm sure there are reasons that he's not a Met beyond the public eye, but I'm not in tune with these reasons. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I think its pretty simple - Marquis just isn't that good, and the Mets didn't want to get stuck in a multi-year commitment to another 'meh' pitcher. You can probably get someone like Jon Garland at a cheaper price (although I heard hes looking for 3 years) and he'll likely be just as good.

I'm happy he signed elsewhere, I was worried the Mets would cave in to his "I love NY!" plea. Also, for what its worth, the Mets never appeared to have strong interest in him in the fist place; it was more of him liking the Mets more than the Mets liking him.

I hope the Mets look hard at high reward starters like Sheets, Wang, Bedard, etc.. If not, I wouldn't mind adding Joel Pineiro who is coming off of a fantastic year, which has to do with him changing his repertoire and throwing his 2-seamer a lot more (so basically what I'm trying to say is I don't think hes a product of Dave Duncan who will fall apart if he leaves St. Louis).

Edited by nmigliore

Anyone else starting to wonder what the plan is? If there even IS a plan? I agree with what Joe and Evan just said...I don't think Jason Bay really wants any part of the Mets; in his defense, with Omar, Freddy and Jeffy running things, I wouldn't be terribly anxious to sign up to play for the Mets either.

Omar did so much to ruin himself and the Mets' franchise with all of his stammering mushmouthed nonsense. The Mets should have done the right thing and put him out of his misery when they had the chance, but they didn't.

Still lots of offseason left, but I'm at a complete loss to guess how it's going to go from here on out...and how it can possibly be a success.

They haven't budged on the offers to Molina and Bay because no other team appears to be serious bidders for either of them right now; why offer Bay 5 years when nobody is giving him anything better then the 4/~65M offer?

I don't really think its that Bay doesn't want to come to NY, its more likelier he and his agent are waiting things out to see if another team will bid against the Mets to get Bay's price up.

The free agent pitcher market is pretty weak now too, and it doesn't appear as if the high-reward guys like Wang, Sheets, or Bedard are signing anytime soon. Also you have pitchers like Pineiro and Garland that are commanding more than what they should be getting (Pineiro wants 4 years, Garland wants 3).

I have no issue with the Mets playing the waiting game, but they should keep tabs on Holliday. If he re-ups with the Cards before Bay signs, then the Mets will be forced to overpay Bay.

Edited by nmigliore

They haven't budged on the offers to Molina and Bay because no other team appears to be serious bidders for either of them right now; why offer Bay 5 years when nobody is giving him anything better then the 4/~65M offer?

Bay and Molina probably know they have the Mets over a barrel too since the Mets really 'have' to do something and asap so they're playing hardball.

Great article in the NY Post by Mike Vaccaro about the sorry state of the Mets. Pretty much echoes everything I and many other Met fans have been saying.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/mets_fans_frustration_grows_as_bay_PrnXaJ8UxchoBOE26l1VWK

While the constant pushing back of the ticket payment deadline is laughable, this idea that the Mets have to pay a premium for FA's to come here is a bit silly. Of course they have to pay a premium, so does every other team in baseball! I missed where CC, Burnett and Tex somehow gave the Yankees discounts last year :P

Of course it would be nice if the Mets actually did court useful players (Hudson, Marquis) who publicly wanted to come here and wound up signing elsewhere for practically nil.

Edited by Hasan4978

Mets ended up inking both Ryota Igarashi (2 years at $3M total, which is a very good price) and Kelvim Escobar (unknown terms so far) to contracts. Despite no movement with the bigger holes, I'm at least happy to see Omar addressing the depth and not neglecting the bullpen.

Mike Francesa says Bay to the Mets, pending a physical. Jon Heyman confirmed it moments after on Twitter.

Wow, I gotta give credit to Mike -- he called this major move YESTERDAY.

edit, Joel Sherman has the years/money:

nyp_joelsherman

Can confirm that #Mets have agreement with Bay for 4 at $66M with easy vest for 5th year

Like I said in the past, I would be skeptical of giving Bay anything over 3 years because of how bad UZR rates his defense, but its hard not to be excited about adding his bat to the lineup.

Edited by nmigliore

I wouldn't give Mike too much credit. With no market materializing for Bay (at least not at the money the Mets were offering), and the Red Sox basically saying that Bay coming back was going to be a longshot at best, this is just the latest example of a good player falling directly into Omar's lap.

Under the circumstances, this is a decent move...if he can play a passable LF and can hit as well as he did with the Red Sox, clearly it's an upgrade. If he produces and the Mets get off to a good start, NY will embrace him quickly. An outfield of Bay, Beltran, and Francoeur is pretty good, even if two of the three are probably lukewarm at best in how excited they are to be Mets (Beltran and Bay of course).

Anyway, what I'm hoping NOT to hear at the press conference:

Omar acting like he's now a hero and has pulled off some kind of amazing feat. Remember Omar, without the Wilpons' cash, you're a mediocre GM at best. I'll give you credit for at least not pulling off a Ollie Perez and outbidding yourself on this one.

Bay acting like he's thrilled to be a Met. We're no dummies Jason...you came here for the same reason Beltran did: the money. Just like Beltran, clearly you were hoping another suitor would materialize. It didn't happen, so here you are. It doesn't make you any worse than the many players who have done the same thing before you, but none of us here are fooled.

Only $66 million for four years? Seems like they got him at a great price. I thought he declined $70 million over for years from the Sox.

Supposedly its 4 years at $66M with an "easy to reach" 5th year vesting option that would boost the value to $80M total. I have no issue with the dollars -- its the latter years I would worry about (mainly because of his defense), especially if it is back-loaded.

He declined 4/60 from the Red Sox.

Mike Francesa says Bay to the Mets, pending a physical. Jon Heyman confirmed it moments after on Twitter.

Wow, I gotta give credit to Mike -- he called this major move YESTERDAY.

It wasn't so much that he called it as he got tipped off on it, and since the Mets couldn't officially announce anything until after their latest deadline for ticket renewals because of the pending physical they leaked it to Francesa so he could get the word out beforehand. Obviously he knew about it last night when he hyped up major Met news that he was going to break today.

I don't think the Mets got a bargain with the supposedly easy fifth year but I don't think they got ripped off either.

Only $66 million for four years? Seems like they got him at a great price. I thought he declined $70 million over for years from the Sox.

$60 million over four years from the Sox.

The Mets then offered $65 million. I think Bay and his agent then waited and hoped that someone, ANYONE, might come up with a better offer.

I think both sides actually played this fairly...Omar didn't outbid himself, and Bay's agent was likely trying to drum up competitive offers. When none came, and the Red Sox pretty much bowed out, his agent probably told him "This is the best deal you're going to get. I'd jump on it." Basically Francisco Rodriguez, Part II.

It's funny...I liken this whole thing to a singles party, where on a scale from 1 to 10, Bay is a solid 7.5, and the first to arrive. He figures he's going to hook up with at least a 7, as soon as the ladies start to filter in. One girl arrives early who's about a 6...she flirts with Jason almost immediately, but Bay shoots her down, figuring that better prey awaits. Time passes, and as a lonely Bay downs some punch, another girl, roughly a 4.5, shows up and starts making eyes. He looks back over to the 6, who is clearly no longer interested...now it's either the 4.5 or nothing. He realizes at that moment that he'd rather get SOME action than none at all, and with no one else in the room except for him, the 6, and the 4.5, he'd better act quickly before the punch wears off. And that's how Bay probably feels about signing with the Mets. He's doing it, but he ain't diggin' it.

Apparently people believe it's not exactly a guarantee Bay will pass his physical due to concerns about his knees and shoulder. Jon Heyman says it could be a "marathon". Heh, this should be a fun week....

It's funny...I liken this whole thing to a singles party, where on a scale from 1 to 10, Bay is a solid 7.5, and the first to arrive. He figures he's going to hook up with at least a 7, as soon as the ladies start to filter in. One girl arrives early who's about a 6...she flirts with Jason almost immediately, but Bay shoots her down, figuring that better prey awaits. Time passes, and as a lonely Bay downs some punch, another girl, roughly a 4.5, shows up and starts making eyes. He looks back over to the 6, who is clearly no longer interested...now it's either the 4.5 or nothing. He realizes at that moment that he'd rather get SOME action than none at all, and with no one else in the room except for him, the 6, and the 4.5, he'd better act quickly before the punch wears off. And that's how Bay probably feels about signing with the Mets. He's doing it, but he ain't diggin' it.

How you can not love CR :D

Edited by nmigliore

Apparently people believe it's not exactly a guarantee Bay will pass his physical due to concerns about his knees and shoulder. Jon Heyman says it could be a "marathon". Heh, this should be a fun week....

How you can not love CR :D

Thanks. :cheers:

One thing I'm curious about...if Bay actually DID manage to fail his physical, considering that the Mets are willing to offer $80 million dollars (potentially) for a guy like Bay, would they dare consider throwing their hats into Holliday's ring?

Thanks. :cheers:

One thing I'm curious about...if Bay actually DID manage to fail his physical, considering that the Mets are willing to offer $80 million dollars (potentially) for a guy like Bay, would they dare consider throwing their hats into Holliday's ring?

If he failed the physical, I would imagine the Mets would try and find a way to alter the contract a bit. If not, then they would void it (ala Yorvit Torrealba) and move on. Would they get in on Holliday at that point? I don't know, honestly, your guess is as good as mine. I just hope Holliday isn't off the board until the Bay signing is official, just in case.

The unfortunate thing about this deal is it is essentially 5/80, assuming Bay stays healthy. If Holliday signs for like 6/100ish (which is likely since the Cardinals look like his only suitor) I'll be pretty disappointed.

Edited by nmigliore

$60 million over four years from the Sox.

The Mets then offered $65 million. I think Bay and his agent then waited and hoped that someone, ANYONE, might come up with a better offer.

I think both sides actually played this fairly...Omar didn't outbid himself, and Bay's agent was likely trying to drum up competitive offers. When none came, and the Red Sox pretty much bowed out, his agent probably told him "This is the best deal you're going to get. I'd jump on it." Basically Francisco Rodriguez, Part II.

holy sh!t. best post of this thread, goes back to like this time last year? :cheers: hopefully bay doesnt :puke: all over us