Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

anyone here all the buzz about the 21-year-old Cuban-defect Aroldis Chapman? Hard throwing lefty (fastball hit 100 and even 102 mph in WBC this year.. normally sat in mid-90s) with other plus offerings (slider and curveball)... Hes expected to sign somewhere between $30-60M this winter.

buster olney of espn mentioned the mets as a team that might pursue him in the offseason (and he listed yanks and redsox, so basically - big market teams willing to chalk up $$$) .. olney even went as far as saying hes the left-handed stephen strasburg... this would be a hell of a kid the mets to get their hands on, and if Omar is still GM (very likely), im sure he'll be in the mix.

Edited by nmigliore

I heard a little bit about him. Is he eligible to sign now as a defector or does he have to wait until regular free agency?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aq1U...o&type=lgns

"If he wants to avoid the draft and become a free agent, Chapman must first establish legal residency in a country outside of the U.S. or Cuba. The Dominican Republic has been a popular choice. Torres said he hoped to speak to Chapman before he chooses a representative."

So I believe he has to establish residency first, and then wait until regular free agency (next winter).

Why does sny care about interviewing these stupid Philly broadcast homers???

I was thinking the same thing...but the guy they interviewed actually said he grew up a Mets fan. I imagine he still is.

When will manuel react? This poor baseball better cost him his head next year he has no balls to take a fvckin player out of a game because of a mindless error and/or defensive lapse and that's why these lapses keep recurring

Edited by nmigliore

When will manuel react? This poor baseball better cost him his head next year he has no balls to take a fvckin player out of a game because of a mindless error and/or defensive lapse and that's why these lapses keep recurring

Well in his defense I know personally that coaches at higher levels prefer to show their players that they have trust in them to get back on the horse when they fall off.. I mean the guy is only going to regain confidence if he is given another opportunity and succeeds.. now if the same player does it repeatedly (same error) then you have to do some work outside of a game

Well physical errors - even including the Castillo drop - are one thing, but mental mistakes (Church's not touching third in LA) and not hustling at the pro level are just inexcusable and this team's had plenty of that the last few years. That's when the manager does need to hold players accountable. Jerry hasn't so ergo it's just gotten worse and worse.

Granted, I didn't see the Murphy play in question last night, Jerry said after the game that he felt Murphy thought he had the ball but who knows.