Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

they're going to let him twist in the wind. that's what they always do.

Unless they pull a miracle and make the playoffs as the wild card, Omar should be fired in the offseason anyway. I have been of the opinion he should've been fired soely for his baseball decisions, but now it's a combination of both that and the Rubin incident. His actions were those of a desperate, bitter man and they were an embaressment.

Unless they pull a miracle and make the playoffs as the wild card, Omar should be fired in the offseason anyway. I have been of the opinion he should've been fired soely for his baseball decisions, but now it's a combination of both that and the Rubin incident. His actions were those of a desperate, bitter man and they were an embaressment.

can't say I disagree with that. Omar really exposed himself as a scummy, backstabber and really not all that different from Bernazard. I guess he hid it better with all his smiling and optimistic talk.

But the trade deadline is right around the corner and he's still the GM. If he knows he's a goner...then who's to say he won't make some stupid desperation move to maybe save his job. You don't want a flustered, desperate GM.

Edited by '7'

good win.. francoeur continues to just drive in runs when he gets the chance.. i was pissed as fvck when Marquis plunked him, that was clearly deliberate and he just didn't want the BB on his stat line. Prick. Feliciano has been so good this year, Im so glad we kept him around.. in fact our whole bullpen has been doing nice lately it seems (overall its been TONS better than last year), so minaya as least did a solid job of cleaning out the bad sh!t in that bullpen.. hmmm what else? sullivan grounded into 2 double plays, ughh.. oh and wright must really hate citi field.. he crushed a ball to CF that i thought was no-doubter but it hit the padding on the HR apple, so meaning if he hit the ball 5 feet left or 5 feet right it would have been a homer :lol:

as for pelfrey, i have no idea what the SNY gun said but the Citi Field gun consistently had him topping out around 95-96 mph which is something I've been waiting to see.

my dad and I checked out the Shake Shack before we left but the line was so big you would think you were waiting in line to go on a ride to King Da Ka at Six Flags :lol: .. I ended up getting an italian hot-sausage sub at a stand; it was really good and there was no line for it.. the seats were great, there is so much more atmosphere being in the lower sections.. i think im gonna continue getting seats in those sections out in left-center field. the crowd overall was really good too.. i expected more empty seats considering the way the mets have been this year but the place was pretty packed except for a couple of sections.

oh almost forgot -- btw CR, castillo was 1-3 with a walk, an RBI, and a run scored. :):P

Edited by nmigliore

The pen has been good...but it got me thinking, when is Wagner coming back? Last I heard he was throwing pretty hard. Get him back and we can set up a pretty nice lockdown 8th and 9th inning. Assuming he still has his old stuff, which isn't a certainty.

I think we might need a bat in left at the deadline because Sheff isn't going to hold up the rest of the way. Josh Willingham can probably be had fairly cheaply. Jose Bautista out of Toronto is also an option. Hopefully by mid august our lineup looks something like...

Reyes SS

Castillo 2b

Wright 3b

Delgado 1b

Francouer rf

Willingham/Sheffield lf

Pagan cf

Santos/Schneider c

Pitcher

Edited by '7'

The pen has been good...but it got me thinking, when is Wagner coming back? Last I heard he was throwing pretty hard. Get him back and we can set up a pretty nice lockdown 8th and 9th inning. Assuming he still has his old stuff, which isn't a certainty.

I think we might need a bat in left at the deadline because Sheff isn't going to hold up the rest of the way. Josh Willingham can probably be had fairly cheaply. Jose Bautista out of Toronto is also an option.

Willingham would be a nice pickup I think.. I know I lobbied for Dunn and he would be a better power-fit, but Willingham would be better, because:

1) Contracts

- Willingham is under control for about 3 more years and he is arbitration eligible in all of those, so his salary wont be very large.

- Dunn is under contract for the rest of this year and 2010. That basically makes him just a 2010 full year rental.

Edge: Willingham

2) Value

- Willingham's WAR (wins above replacement level player) this year is 2.6 .. his RAR (runs above replacement level player, factors in fielding as well) this year is 25.7

- Dunn's WAR this year is 1.3 .. his RAR this year is 12.8

Edge: Willingham

(edit: well depending on how much you put in VORP, Dunn has the value advantage there.. but you should know that VORP does NOT factor in player's defense)

i would be willing to bet you could get willingham cheaper than dunn too

Edited by nmigliore

much cheaper, he's definitely an under the radar guy.

But Dunn is like the white Ryan Howard, somebody who would make this lineup the Yankees of the NL once everybody else comes back healthy. He's tantalizing but I can't envision a scenario where we can get him and not give up a top prospect + Parnell or Murphy + another decent prospect. That's too much. Willingham can probably be had without touching anybody from out current roster or and F-Mart or Holt.

oh almost forgot -- btw CR, castillo was 1-3 with a walk, an RBI, and a run scored. :):P

Great. He's having a big July. He had a terrific April. Let me see him have a strong August and September too. If he does it's win-win all around: he's helping the team and increasing his trade value.

'7'...regarding what you said about Omar, I agree, which is why I think the Mets should fire him now. If they let him stick around (allowing him to make deadline deals), only to fire him in the offseason, then why keep him now? Jeffy qualified his "vote of confidence" statement regarding Omar with the "Right now..." tag. It's easy to read too much into what people are saying, but it sounds like Jeffy was reserving the right to change his mind.

Omar may apologize, but he's not sorry. He meant what he said. He's just sorry he wasn't smart enough at the time to realize that his actions made him look like a complete ass. Does anyone really think that Omar's going to come out a smarter and better man because of this?

Great. He's having a big July. He had a terrific April. Let me see him have a strong August and September too. If he does it's win-win all around: he's helping the team and increasing his trade value.

oh come on you know Omar wont trade him.. he let Castillo plead him not to trade him after a terrible season and Omar gave in to him (thankfully its working out right now though), do you really think Omar will deal him coming off a year where he might finish hitting around .290 with a high OBP? I'd be very surprised if he did

if we did though, i wouldn't mind signing hudson, but i would be shocked if LA opted to not resign him, unless they have some prospect that they feel is ready to be a starter (didn't they do that with Blake DeWitt last year?).. otherwise it might just be better to hang onto luis if he finishes the year off strong.

Edited by nmigliore

oh come on you know Omar wont trade him.. he let Castillo plead him not to trade him after a terrible season and Omar gave in to him (thankfully its working out right now though), do you really think Omar will deal him coming off a year where he might finish hitting around .290 with a high OBP? I'd be very surprised if he did

if we did though, i wouldn't mind signing hudson, but i would be shocked if LA opted to not resign him, unless they have some prospect that they feel is ready to be a starter (didn't they do that with Blake DeWitt last year?).. otherwise it might just be better to hang onto luis if he finishes the year off strong.

At the rate things are going, Omar might not be the one making that decision (or any other) next year. Besides, I'd absolutely consider trading Castillo now. Trading him last year, the Mets would have had to take a bath in most of the $18 million left on the deal, in this offseason assuming he doesn't crater they can actually deal him if they want.

I wouldn't be shocked if he fell off after this year - I just don't think his knees can hold up another two years, I'm surprised they've held up this year with all the other injuries on the team. I guess that speaks to being in shape but still.

At the rate things are going, Omar might not be the one making that decision (or any other) next year. Besides, I'd absolutely consider trading Castillo now. Trading him last year, the Mets would have had to take a bath in most of the $18 million left on the deal, in this offseason assuming he doesn't crater they can actually deal him if they want.

I wouldn't be shocked if he fell off after this year - I just don't think his knees can hold up another two years, I'm surprised they've held up this year with all the other injuries on the team. I guess that speaks to being in shape but still.

I couldn't agree more with this post. Even if Omar's safe right this second, he may not be come season's end, and since Castillo's contract is considered to be one of Omar's more notable follies, it wouldn't surprise me if a new GM would want to get him off the team.

And yeah, I think if Castillo's back next year he's going to be next year's Tatis...good one year, disappointing the next. The big question is whether or not other teams are buying into Castillo's resurgence. The Mets will probably have to pick up some of his salary going forward, at the very least.

I couldn't agree more with this post. Even if Omar's safe right this second, he may not be come season's end, and since Castillo's contract is considered to be one of Omar's more notable follies, it wouldn't surprise me if a new GM would want to get him off the team.

yeah, a new GM might, but im talking about Omar and assuming he stays; hes not trading castillo if he finishes strong.

Edited by nmigliore

yeah, a new GM might, but im talking about Omar and assuming he stays; hes not trading castillo if he finishes strong.

That would be a double whammy if there ever was one: Omar and Castillo staying. Ugh.

well heres some bad news http://www.metsblog.com/2009/07/29/buzz-mets-looking-for-left-handed-reliever/

why the HELL would we be looking for another lefty reliever? Ugh, Omar, wake up.. Wagner should be back soon. And wasting any prospects on a LOOGY is just stupid. We aren't contenders and we don't need another lefty if Wags is due back soon....

where was this reliever-talk last year? :rolleyes:

Edited by nmigliore

Cliff Lee has been traded to the Phillies for 4 prospects, pending a physical... eesh this sucks for 2010. I guess this basically guarantees the Mets will start forking up some cash next offseason to improve their rotation and lineup..... (right?)

anyway the Mets could've topped this package with Niese, Tejada, Thole, Beaulac and maybe another A-ball arm I bet.. Niese is more proven than Carrasco.. Tejada has 5 years in age on the over-hyped Donald, Thole is just about equal to Marson (I would give Thole the slight edge), but Knapp is better than Beaulac.. but add in another A-ball arm (Mets have like 4 guys in A-ball pitching really well) and that would top it. Not saying I would want to do that, because I probably wouldn't, but thats just what it would take from the Mets system probably.

Edited by nmigliore

Cliff Lee has been traded to the Phillies for 4 prospects, pending a physical... eesh this sucks for 2010. I guess this basically guarantees the Mets will start forking up some cash next offseason to improve their rotation and lineup..... (right?)

anyway the Mets could've topped this package with Niese, Tejada, Thole, Beaulac and maybe another A-ball arm I bet.. Niese is more proven than Carrasco.. Tejada has 5 years in age on the over-hyped Donald, Thole is just about equal to Marson (I would give Thole the slight edge), but Knapp is better than Beaulac.. but add in another A-ball arm (Mets have like 4 guys in A-ball pitching really well) and that would top it. Not saying I would want to do that, because I probably wouldn't, but thats just what it would take from the Mets system probably.

Lee is no sure thing, he had 1 great year, couple of mediocre years. He's good, sometimes very good but does not have the body of work of Roy Halladay or Johan. No doubt we could've beaten that package, but Niese, Tejada and Thole are 3 good prospects and that's without mentioning any other periphery guys. If you're going to offer up a deal like that...might as well go all the way and get Halladay. But they won't be doing that. Besides, the Mets need a bat as well and the Phillies don't so they can put all their resources towards pitching.

Fixed.

:lol: well, that was random..

tonight's lineup vs RHP Jason Hammel (5-5, 4.28 ERA), hopefully no rain:

Angel Pagan CF

Luis Castillo 2B

David Wright 3B

Daniel Murphy 1B

Jeff Francoeur RF

Cory Sullivan LF

Omir Santos C

Alex Cora SS

Johan Santana LHP (11-8, 3.12)

Mets game tonight is rained out and there will be a day/night double header with the first game @ 12:10 PM tomorrow afternoon and the second game will be played @ 7:10 PM tomorrow night.

this is good.. santana gets an extra day of rest and the mets have a strong shot at taking 3/4 from colorado (i believe day/night doubleheaders are almost always split)

It would be great if we could sweep them.

Weird Met history fact: the 1962 Mets, they of the 40-120 record, managed to sweep not one, not two, but THREE doubleheaders. Where's Richie Ashburn when you need him?