Brodeur doesn't back down

MadDog2020

I was pointing that out to someone yesterday. The league could never officially agree with Marty, they have to back up their refs in almost all cases, the Pando no goal being a famous exception, so the fact they didn't find Marty for an obviously fineable offense means they sympathize with this position, IMO.

I was pointing that out to someone yesterday. The league could never officially agree with Marty, they have to back up their refs in almost all cases, the Pando no goal being a famous exception, so the fact they didn't find Marty for an obviously fineable offense means they sympathize with this position, IMO.

Agreed. And are you referring to the egrigious mishap in the Ottawa game 3 in 2003?

I dunno...I've watched that play so many times and I change my opinion almost everytime. Sometimes I watch it and I say "well he was outside the crease" and then I see it and say " he had no time to get set after being bumped"

I believe that the refs have been dicking Marty over about the amount of times he has been bumped in this series. Was he owed one? Probably. I love that he got so angry though. I know that Marty is the calm, cool, collected guy, but his outburst showed me that he cared a lot. That the play got him fired up. Good...I hope he plays out of his mind tonight.

Yes, leading to the famous memo that said "...despite the best efforts of the league, a goal was scored"

Man, did the league luck out that we won that game 1-0... if we had ever lost... I was at that game and they didn't show the replay in the arena- if they did riots would've started, obviously. I didn't find about it until I got home that night and saw the highlights.

Man, did the league luck out that we won that game 1-0... if we had ever lost... I was at that game and they didn't show the replay in the arena- if they did riots would've started, obviously. I didn't find about it until I got home that night and saw the highlights.

They did show the replay in the arena. In fact they showed it in slow motion and freeze framed it so we could all see the puck in the net. It didn't happen right after the goal but a little while later, maybe during the first commercial break after or something? It's the first time I ever remember the Devils showing a bad call by the refs on the big screen. It showed how PO'ed Lou was.

I actually got a copy of the memo during, I think, the first intermission because we were friendly with this reporter from the Czech Republic that sat in the team seats next to us whenever he came to games. At that point we already knew a goal call had been blown from the replay and we couldn't help but laugh at the poor phrasing choice the league took since it was being criticized for being too low scoring at the time.

Edited by Devils731

They did show the replay in the arena. In fact they showed it in slow motion and freeze framed it so we could all see the puck in the net. It didn't happen right after the goal but a little while later, maybe during the first commercial break after or something? It's the first time I ever remember the Devils showing a bad call by the refs on the big screen. It showed how PO'ed Lou was.

I actually got a copy of the memo during, I think, the first intermission because we were friendly with this reporter from the Czech Republic that sat in the team seats next to us whenever he came to games. At that point we already knew a goal call had been blown from the replay and we couldn't help but laugh at the poor phrasing choice the league took since it was being criticized for being too low scoring at the time.

Damn, why don't I remember that? Winning erases a lot I guess. If we had lost, I'm sure my memory of the event would've been a lot more vivid. :P

Damn, why don't I remember that? Winning erases a lot I guess. If we had lost, I'm sure my memory of the event would've been a lot more vivid. :P

Ya, I don't remember the crowd reaction really, other than a lot of booing, the memo is what I remember from the game.

Ya, I don't remember the crowd reaction really, other than a lot of booing, the memo is what I remember from the game.

Was it that blown call that ultimately lead to the replay system we have now? That had to have contributed to it big-time. I mean seriously, can you imagine if the Devils had lost that game 2-1?

Was it that blown call that ultimately lead to the replay system we have now? That had to have contributed to it big-time. I mean seriously, can you imagine if the Devils had lost that game 2-1?

Based on Campbell's comments the league already had a system set up for Toronto to even review the calls, so the system was advanced. Campbell said it took them 36 seconds to realize a goal had been scored but the faceoff had gone off by then.

So I the replay system already existed but I think this led to how we use it today, in a better safe than sorry fashion. Toronto calls in for some of the most obvious non-goals now because it's better to review a shot that went 2 feet wide for a minute than to miss a goal that went in.

Based on Campbell's comments the league already had a system set up for Toronto to even review the calls, so the system was advanced. Campbell said it took them 36 seconds to realize a goal had been scored but the faceoff had gone off by then.

So I the replay system already existed but I think this led to how we use it today, in a better safe than sorry fashion. Toronto calls in for some of the most obvious non-goals now because it's better to review a shot that went 2 feet wide for a minute than to miss a goal that went in.

Makes sense. Ridiculous though that it takes that kind of mistake (in a conference final game no less) to bring change.

Sad but true. Marty does embellish alot these days.

Yes, but IMO I think he does it because he's not getting the call in the first place?

In a regular season game I was watching a Red Wings home game and Lidstrom scythed down an opposing forward to the ice. The was no call, the Wings color Guy (Mickey Redmond ?) said, well the Wings got away with one there, I reckond it was a non-call due to respect for Lidstrom.

The league normally gives preferential treatment to vets (the better players) and star players. 4th liners get the rough end of the stick.

What I'm trying to say is that perhaps Marty is thinking he should get the calls, not so much because they are a penalty (50% of the time they are fouls) but because he is a star player. I know it's kinda wrong but when he sees other vets and star players getting the "benefit of the doubt" (there is no doubt at all-they are fouls) he seems to be pissed off that he does not get the same preferential treatment like the rest of the vets/star players.

IMO the last five years or so Marty has been run more times than at any other point id his career. He's had enough of it.

Yes, leading to the famous memo that said "...despite the best efforts of the league, a goal was scored"

Oh man I remember that... was in the arena and a friend watching on TV called me immediately to tell me it was a goal! I was pissed. So happy we won that one.