Evaluating Sanchez (Jets Scepticism)

Beezer34

Good Choice -vs- Sloppy Move  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Does Mark Sanchez pan out?

• Absolutely! We got a winner for 12+ Years!
    • No Way! The Jets are doomed!
    • ...unsure, but agree there's too much hype

It's not drafting him that's the problem, it's playing him right off the bat and hyping him up as Joe Willie with no safety net on the bench (Kellen Clemens doesn't qualify).

Ironically the Jets would have been much better off if they didn't screw around with Chad last year, let him play last season instead of trying to kiss Favre's fanny and then you could have done what you did to get Sanchez and had him play behind Chad for a whlie, thereby lowering expectations when he finally came in.

• 4 weeks later...

Why, did the cold weather freeze his brain? Because I saw bad decisions as his downfall Sunday, not the inability to make throws in Giants Stadium.

Maybe it did. The cold weather affects a QB's play in general...bad decisions, bad throws all can be somewhat attributed to the cold weather. If you are off your game in the cold, it will hinder your game overall. He is out of his comfort zone. Don't be too upset, I think he will be OK one day...just not this season. He should have stayed at USC for another year like PC suggested..

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference a season makes...

Sanchez-vs-Favre.jpg

...................................................................123.jpg

...you can say "oh the Jets got lucky", -or "yeah but the QB's a passenger", -or imitate Francesa's "they got two gifts". Whatever. The fact remains.. Sanchez will be playing postseason game(s) this year, for the JETS. Which is more than Favre can say last year, or Pennington & Clemens can say the year before that, or anyone since 2006 that's taken snaps for the Jets.

*Bottomline - Sanchez Rookie Year Grade (imo): C+

Sanchez may be going to the playoffs while Favre did not...HOWEVER, you cannot honestly tell me that you would have rather had Sanchez than Favre THIS year...if the Jets had Favre their record would have likely been better, and they could be a deadly team in the playoffs. I am not sold on this Jets offense, especially in crunch time during the postseason...we will see next week when the Bengals actually try....

This really just is a reiteration of the original general premise of this thread, but the regular season is over so it might not be a bad time to go over this.

I honestly haven't gotten to see much of the Jets this year, but I have seen that they have the league's top rushing game and the league's top overall defense. With those cylinders firing, all a team really needs is a quarterback who doesn't screw it all up (think Big Ben in his rookie year when he only threw 15 passes a game). Instead, the Jets have a kid who throws a ton of picks (to be fair, that's par for the course with a rookie) and barely got them into the playoffs (to be fair, they only really got in because their last two opponents laid down).

What I'm getting at is this ... I obviously don't know entirely what the hell I'm talking about with Sanchez because of how little I've actually seen him play. But you Jets fans have seen him play. Does he really show signs that he could be the real deal? Or does he look like someone who, if he was playing in Tampa, would have been given up on by Week 6.

Sanchez had a pretty terrible rookie year. It's clear the Jets have an elite level defense and superb Running Game. Sanchez probably cost them 1-2 wins this year. He hasn't had a good game since week 8 against the Dolphins (most of which was done in garbage time)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=12482

He has been a disappointment. Maybe next year he improves but it's clear the Jets expected more from him this year.

He's basically a senior in college though who played one year of college football. What did they really think was going to happen?

I honestly haven't gotten to see much of the Jets this year, but I have seen that they have the league's top rushing game and the league's top overall defense. With those cylinders firing, all a team really needs is a quarterback who doesn't screw it all up (think Big Ben in his rookie year when he only threw 15 passes a game). Instead, the Jets have a kid who throws a ton of picks (to be fair, that's par for the course with a rookie) and barely got them into the playoffs (to be fair, they only really got in because their last two opponents laid down).

The Big Ben comparison is valid because by the end of his rookie season he was a liability and someone they had to hide in the playoffs. Even in his second year he had a bad Super Bowl. You can't ask the sun, stars and moon of these rookie QB's.

Most of the season the Jets were guilty with trying to get too much out of Sanchez. It's like throwing a kid who doesn't know how to swim in the deep end of the pool without a life preserver. Finally over the last few weeks (with the exception of the Atlanta game) the Jets are getting it and not pushing the envelope anymore than they have to.

There will come a time where Sanchez will be expected to do more and need to do more to become a good QB. But it isn't now.

But you Jets fans have seen him play. Does he really show signs that he could be the real deal? Or does he look like someone who, if he was playing in Tampa, would have been given up on by Week 6.

I think he has shown ability. He was very good the first game of the season in Houston, the first game against NE and both Miami games.

He managed the game well the past two weeks (no turnovers). I also think the Jets are now limiting his downfield passing. Eventually, they're going to have to let him make plays. But the good news is that he appears to be coachable. For a while there, it appeared he wasn't learning from mistakes.

Any team thaat picked Sanchez as high as the Jets did is going to give the player a long leash ... at least two years. Look at the hopeless Jamarcus Russell and the long leash he had.

I thought Sanchez might have a chance to be a star player but I'm not sure anymore. I think he can be good enough to make a playoff run, like Testaverde and Pennington were.

There will come a time where Sanchez will be expected to do more and need to do more to become a good QB. But it isn't now.

Do you think he's capable of handling it when those expectations are laid upon him?

Going back to the Big Ben comparison, all Ben was really asked to do all season was hand it off on first and second down and convert some third-and-shorts. But he did show flashes of his ability extend plays and create something where sacks or incompletes would have been the status quo, and he did lead a few late game-winning two-minute drills. Obviously no two quarterbacks are the same and can't be compared exactly, but the point is that there were signs that this guy was more than just someone who could be counted on to NOT lose the game. Have there been signs like that with Sanchez?

Do you think he's capable of handling it when those expectations are laid upon him?

Going back to the Big Ben comparison, all Ben was really asked to do all season was hand it off on first and second down and convert some third-and-shorts.

If the Jets had done that with Sanchez he'd have been at least 11-5 if not 12-4 this season. During the last six games, the Jets ran at least sixteen times more than they passed in the five wins, and passed more than they ran (33-32) in the one game they lost.

To answer the question, I think it's fair to say he's got the tools (see that throw to Edwards over fifty yards in a gusting wind last night) and the work ethic at the very least. And he's from all accounts a good leader in the huddle.

That said, he's also got the Favre gunslinger mentality that he can zip any throw in there and like with Favre who needed Holmgren early in his career, the Jets eventually are going to have to find a way to clamp down on him without completely taking away his talent. The color-coded system that got pillored was, in my mind a good start.

Plus he's been a bit thin-skinned at times (the press conference notes, getting down on himself too much on the sidelines). Those are the two things that really need to be polished off before you can say definitively Sanchez can be a star or even a good player.

Edited by Hasan4978