Lamoriello may be relieved of business duties

gionta182

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what Lou has to do- he's gotta get Bouwmeester. It's not everyday you get a shot at a guy like that. And there's nothing this team needs more than a big-time defenseman.

he's not going to be able to. hate to break it to you but the money isn't there.

I'm not saying he's done a great job, his FA imports have clearly left a ton to be desired (as have his coaching choices for that matter) but it certainly isn't fire-worthy. Especially given his track record which should earn a lot more leeway than spoiled fans are willing to give.

Name me one GM available that has a better track record than Lou that you want to bring in to replace him. And if you want to say we need new blood for the sake of new blood, you'd better be prepared to accept the risk that things are far more likely to get worse than better under the next GM.

I couldn't agree with you more. Lou didn't exactly do the best of jobs in the FA market, Zubrus and Rolston seem like awful contracts (I'd give Brian a chance to prove us wrong next season though), but at least it didn't make the team worse. Look at all these teams that dish out huge money to UFAs. Look at the Rangers. Yeah, they are truly great. :rolleyes: And NJ was still better than expected last year: they made the playoffs, although a lot of people picked them to fall apart after losing Gomez and Rafalski (who Lou couldn't re-sign, not for the money they demanded...). Lou keeps the Devils competitive year after year. Lack of playoff success might be frustrating for people who can't live without their team making three Stanley Cup Final appearences in four years, but other than the Red Wings, I don't see any club being dominant year after year in the NHL.

That being sad, I' happy with LL being done with his business stuff. Vanderbeek has already done a good job hiring that marketing guy and with even more new blood, let's hope the Devils can get better at marketing themselves, drawing fans and generating income.

I don't care what Lou has to do- he's gotta get Bouwmeester. It's not everyday you get a shot at a guy like that. And there's nothing this team needs more than a big-time defenseman.

Dream on. I'll be happy if we can re-sing Oduya and lock Zajac.

So we should fire one of a handful of GM's that have made the playoffs every year since the lockout just because he hasn't won a Cup since 2003? Man I'd hate to see some of you as Islander fans.

Why are we satisfied with barely making the playoffs, getting embarrassed in round 1 or looking at teams behind us? Lou's own philosophy is 'anything other than winning the cup is failure' so the buck must stop there with his decisions. Im not saying someone would make better choices - but they have to be different. Why is it so wrong for some of you to say 'I will not drink the Kool aid?

It's about damn time. I doubt he's upset. He and VBK probably discussed and agreed on things. Hopefully they hire a marketing genius.

And hopefully that marketing genius recognizes the opportunity here in Trenton. 2700 average *announced* attendance ain't going to cut it. Huge opportunity to grow the Devils brand overall but they need to take advantage of it aggressively.

Why are we satisfied with barely making the playoffs, getting embarrassed in round 1 or looking at teams behind us? Lou's own philosophy is 'anything other than winning the cup is failure' so the buck must stop there with his decisions. Im not saying someone would make better choices - but they have to be different. Why is it so wrong for some of you to say 'I will not drink the Kool aid?

because you can't change the past. what you are asking is 'hey instead of trading away all of our picks like we did in 2004, let's instead not do that and somehow win despite that'. lou is still one of the best general managers in the game even if somehow new jersey loses game 7 (which you seem to regard as an inevitability).

+1

+1 (for emphasis)

We passed on Chara. We should not pass this time.

It's not a matter of being satisfied...more like being a little appreciative that my organization is still one of the best in hockey in spite of its 'shortcomings'. Especially compared to the other organizations I root for (Mets :puke: Jets :rolleyes:)

You and others act like four or five (this year hasn't been finished quite yet) years of first and second-round exits equate us to the St. Louis Blues where that became the plateau. The standard's higher in Detroit too, should they have sent Ken Holland packing when they didn't win a Cup from '98-last year and had a boatload of early exits?

EDIT: Well, '02-last year, still same point.

Edited by Hasan4978

Please no. Boumeester is the most overrated D in the game. I would rather spend the money on a defensemen that will actually make a difference for his team.

You and others act like four or five (this year hasn't been finished quite yet) years of first and second-round exits equate us to the St. Louis Blues where that became the plateau. The standard's higher in Detroit too, should they have sent Ken Holland packing when they didn't win a Cup from '98-last year and had a boatload of early exits?

The Red Wings won the cup in 2002 with Holland as the GM.

The Red Wings won the cup in 2002 with Holland as the GM.

The gap between the Wings' Cups in 2002 and 2008 is the same as the gap between the Devils' Cup in 2003 and, well, right now. People saying Lou is washed up right now is akin to Wings fans saying Holland should be ridden out of town during the first round of last year's playoffs. Time-wise, at least.

The gap between the Wings' Cups in 2002 and 2008 is the same as the gap between the Devils' Cup in 2003 and, well, right now. People saying Lou is washed up right now is akin to Wings fans saying Holland should be ridden out of town during the first round of last year's playoffs. Time-wise, at least.

I swear, that was exactly the post I was going to make after I corrected myself above. But yes I did have a momentary lapse and forget about Hasek and Hull winning as mercs in '02 :lol:

Edited by Hasan4978

But why does Lou have to be 'washed up' or the 'greatest GM of all time' ? All Im saying is that everything has a run and perhaps its time to change it up...

I don't think that time has come yet, though. We came in #1 in the Atlantic division despite losing our star goalies - mind you, coming in at #1 over a team that had Crosby, Malkin, Fleury...or a team that had Gomez, Drury, Lundqvist (sure, we all hate him, but we know he's capable of being a good goalie)...or a team that had Briere, Biron, Richards. The Atlantic division might be the best division in hockey (second only to maybe the West's Central division)

Lou's kept us competitive since he got here, and we've weathered some big changes in the meantime. The man knows what he's doing. You can't realistically expect us to win the Cup every year, to shut out opponents in every game we play, to go 82-0 in the season and 16-0 in the playoffs. The Devils are a damn good team and Lou has a lot to do with it.

What happened with the Islanders and their fourpeat was a fluke - so to expect anything like that is unrealistic.

But Marty Brodeur has said in his interviews that he's stayed with the Devils for so long because he feels like the team has a chance to win the Cup every single year. Not many teams can say the same thing.

+1

+1 (for emphasis)

We passed on Chara. We should not pass this time.

lou did not pass on Chara. It is fairly well known that chara was lou's plan b if he didn't resign elias. but lou got plan a. and chara was delivered to boston and chiarelli before UFA opened on 7/1 anyway. the guy signed a max deal at 12:10am.

TG is reporting this is inaccurate. Vanderbeek said they hired the firm to look for an arena executive to handle all things Rock. The Devils will remain Lou's.

Bring out the clean'up crew folks, because this is damage control at it's best. ;) -I knew Vanderbeek was going to back-pedal somewhat when the story fist broke... but for him to cry 'lies'?! :rolleyes: I call bullsh!t. This apologue is nothing more than a statement for Lou's sake. This aint ESPN. Street & Smith is one of the more reputable sporting publishing journal's out there. They wouldn't have broken this story if they weren't AT LEAST 90% sure of it's validity. So if the `Beek wants to scream; inaccurate' to save face for LL... go right ahead. The truth will come out next season on who's really driving the bus, when we release our alternate (and/or throwback) @ the Rock...right next to the 12x by 20 ft billboard of Parises' mug, for all of Newark to see. B )

Edited by Beezer34