Contract Status

Z-Man

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah basically, the devils are spending too much on wingers. they need to think about centers and possibly moving zubrus down to a checking line.

I've been saying this repeatedly... Zubrus should not be our 2nd line Center

That team will not get us any further than this year.

The third and fourth lines are awfull.

We have to make a serious play for Bouwmeester. Add him and bring up Corrente and we have a much more servicable D (just wish we hadn't traded away Anssi Salmela for Havelid :angry: )

Then we have to get someone in to center Elias and actually create a legitimate second line.

Of course none of what im putting forward will happen because its Lou and we will end up with the team you suggested and get bounced in the first round again.

Hey buddy, learn to read. I said one of two things will happen. Second line center or top 4 D. If we do add a center, Rolston drops to the 3rd line. Jbou is not going to come here, stop getting your hopes up.

Centers we could go after:

Mike Cammalleri

Saku Koivu (hope not)

Nik Antropov

Mike Comrie (no thank you)

Very, very thin list of UFA centers. However, Dubinsky has a chance to reach UFA if the rangers can't offer him a contract (very possible). Cammalleri or nothing it seems like at center. There's a few more defensemen that we could go after and its about time we get mottau the fvck outta here.

Defensemen:

Francois Beauchemin

Scotty Neids

Jaroslav Spacek

Adrian Aucoin

Mike Komisarek

Mattias Ohlund

And then you have trade possibilities.

UFA's:

Gionta- If he will re-up for 4 for 1 or 2 years or take a little discount for a longer term deal, let him stay.

Madden- Thanks for the memories but please leave.

Holik- Not gonna say anything bad about the guy but there's really no reason to have him here.

Rupp- Should be replaced by a younger player with speed.

Shanahan- Re-sign if he wants the same deal or cheaper. Great vet presence and chips in here and then.

Oduya- Lock him up!!!!

Havelid- Sometimes she wants a house with kids and a dog and he wants an apartment in the city with a view and a bar. Not a good fit.

Clemmensen- If he gets a deal over 1.5 mil somewhere let him go. Otherwise I wouldn't mind him playing 25 games per year.

Weekes- Capable backup but has injury issues... Keep or let walk depending on Clemmer

RFA's:

Zajac- Lock him UP!!!!

PL3- Min deal maybe to replace Rupper.

Greene- Depends... if they can get a viable replacement then sure...

I really hope the Devils make a serious run at Cammalleri... It might be expensive but they can get Madden, Holik, and Havlid off the books and maybe afford him..

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Cammalleri-Gionta

That would be great.

I think that Cammalleri would be a great fit here. I mentioned it to a friend he also agreed. I am almost itching to see if this is the year that we not only get some one big in the off season but make a really big move in our favor.I would like to go into a season with something to be excited about. Change Isn't always a bad thing and I can always dream of the possibilities. Its fun to think about, Ill never forget this loss though. As much as I hate playing the canes I want to play them again next year if we get some changes made and pwn them.

Edited by NJDevils1214

I wouldnt mind keeping madden on a 2 year 1.5 deal... i mean it sucks because Pando would make more than him and he is more valuable... but idk if he would take it...

speaking of contracts....

Can't teams take a player to arbitration? ie pandolfo.. he makes what.. 2.5... they should take him to arbitration and get his number reduced...

cammalleri didn't play center for the flames.

And Calgary was looking to get rid of him at the trade deadline. Not sure what the story is on Cammalleri, but for a young player with such great offensive potential that people give up on him so early is a bad sign.

Cap# Player

6.000 Elias (4 yrs left)

5.062 Rolston (3 yrs left)

3.400 Zubrus (4 yrs left)

3.125 Parise (2 yrs left)

2.800 Langenbrunner (2 yrs left)

2.500 Pandolfo (2 yrs left)

0.838 Clarkson (1 yr left)

3.833 Martin (1 yr left)

3.000 White (3 yrs left)

2.900 Salvador (3 yrs left)

0.762 Mottau (1 yr left)

0.487 Leach (1 yr left)

5.200 Brodeur (3 yrs left)

$39.907 comitted to 13 players.

UFA's:

Gionta

Madden

Holik

Rupp

Shanahan

Oduya

Havelid

Clemmensen

Weekes

RFA's:

Zajac

PL3

Greene

With that... You know the devils will definately sign Zajac....

so you are left with this in my opinion...

Parise/Zajac/Langenbrunner

Elias/??????/Bergfors (99.9% chance of playing in NHL next season)

????/Rolston/Clarkson

Pandolfo/Zubrus/???????

Martin/?????

White/Mottau

Salvado/Leach

we need 3 fowards and a defensman..

Realistically people from lowell to be seriously looked at.. Zharkov (line 3) Halishuck (line 3 or 4) Davis (line 4) Corrente (2nd pairing D)

Edited by Jdub

i was thinking about it today and the devils are actually in not-terrible shape re: the cap. this off-season is going to be rather interesting for a number of reasons that i will elaborate on when i'm not tired and pissed-off and no one cares.

still rolston, zubrus and white are taking a lot of useless space

Cap# Player

6.000 Elias (4 yrs left)

5.062 Rolston (3 yrs left)

3.400 Zubrus (4 yrs left)

3.125 Parise (2 yrs left)

2.800 Langenbrunner (2 yrs left)

2.500 Pandolfo (2 yrs left)

0.838 Clarkson (1 yr left)

3.833 Martin (1 yr left)

3.000 White (3 yrs left)

2.900 Salvador (3 yrs left)

0.762 Mottau (1 yr left)

0.487 Leach (1 yr left)

5.200 Brodeur (3 yrs left)

$39.907 comitted to 13 players.

UFA's:

Gionta

Madden

Holik

Rupp

Shanahan

Oduya

Havelid

Clemmensen

Weekes

RFA's:

Zajac

PL3

Greene

Hate to say it But Gio may take a hit, Makin 4 mill, Maddog makes 2.9, Havelid 2.9, Holik 2.5. Ouch !Thats Over 10 mill right there.

With that... You know the devils will definately sign Zajac....

so you are left with this in my opinion...

Elias/??????/Bergfors (99.9% chance of playing in NHL next season)

????/Rolston/Clarkson

Pandolfo/Zubrus/???????

Martin/?????

White/Mottau

Salvado/Leach

we need 3 fowards and a defensman..

Realistically people from lowell to be seriously looked at.. Zharkov (line 3) Halishuck (line 3 or 4) Davis (line 4) Corrente (2nd pairing D)

I'm thinking something like this:

Elias/Antropov/Rolston

Pandolfo/Zubrus/Clarkson

???????/???????/PL3

Martin/Oduya

White/Mottau

Salvador/Corrente

In order for Elias and Rolston to be successful I don't think you can ask either to play the wing. A true second line center is a glaring need as is a stud d-man. Cammalleri or Antropov could fill the need at center. I would personally prefer Antropov. Don't know if Lou could get it done.

It also looks like reconstructing a 4th line is a need. I'm sick of Rupp. Holik is gone. I'd like Shanny to stay but who knows whats going through his head. I don't know who fill those roles and I don't know who could really step in from the farm.

I don't see how the Devils get a stud d-man in the offseason. Lou will not pay 7 million a year for Bouwmeester, nor should he. The rest of the free agent d-men look like garbage. I think Lou will resign Oduya and Corrente will get a good long look in training camp.

The Flames tried to move Calamari because they know they can't afford to keep him after this year. We have no cap space, this has been outlined countless times. Please do not even start with these pipe dreams. Our future is tied to Zubrus, Rolston and White and their soul sucking horrible contracts.

The Flames tried to move Calamari because they know they can't afford to keep him after this year. We have no cap space, this has been outlined countless times. Please do not even start with these pipe dreams. Our future is tied to Zubrus, Rolston and White and their soul sucking horrible contracts.

we don't have no cap space. this is flagrantly untrue. what is true is that the devils will have a hard time signing anyone to a long-term contract.

Forwards

1st line: Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

2nd line: Gionta-Rolston-Elias

3rd line: Pandolfo-Zubrus-Clarkson

4th line: ? -Rupp*-Shanahan*

-A really key thing for me is resigning Zajac. Travis is one of the few forwards that are young on this team, and has the potential to be playing on a line with Parise for years to come. That way we are able to keep our #1 line intact and just pray that they play as good as they did this year. He is a rfa so hopefully we can keep him at a bargain price.

-As far as the second line goes I think we should try and resign Gionta if the amount doesn't get ridiculous. If we are able to resign him then please don't give him too many years. Then I like moving Rolston up to center the 2nd line.

-Clarkson moves up from the 4th line, to the 3rd line. He is joined by Pandolfo, and Zubrus. This line would be pretty slow, but I don't think they would be too awful offensively.

4th line:

*If Shanahan wants to come back for another year from start to finish, and is asking for around a million: then we should resign him. The problem is we have too many right wingers, but I guess after next year (if Shanny does play this year) then Halischuk or Bergfors can fill the open slot.

*Well, we could replace Mike Rupp: however, unless we are able to find a more mobile player that can still be a heavy-weight (Clarky cant do it all himself) then we mind as well resign him. I would say PL3, but he is yet another right winger.

-We could add an upgrade or two to one of the top 3 lines, which could bump players down to the 4th line.

Madden, and Holik (possibly Rupp): thanks for the memories.

Defense

1st pairing: Oduya, Martin

2nd pairing: White, Mottau

3rd pairing: Salvador, Greene*

-If we resign Oduya, then that leaves only one free slot. We can fill that with Greene, but we would likely have cap space to upgrade over Greene. Just comes down to whether or not the upgrade is worth paying the extra money (Greene is a rfa so we should be able to get him for somewhat cheap).

Goaltending

Starter: Brodeur

Backup: Clemmer/Weekes

-Wouldn't mind resigning either Clemmenson or Weekes to backup Brodeur. If there isn't much of a market for Clemmer, then we should resign him. Dont think there is really reason to resign both.

-We need to think about drafting a goalie; that way they have a couple of years to be the backup before Marty retires.

Potential Upgrades

Here are some free-agents that caught my eye:

(all: UFA's, play 65+ games a year, reasonable to get, and not too old)

Marc-Andr

Edited by welcometotherock