Welcome to the world of rebuilding

DEV1LDR1VER

It's late. I'm tired. If you actually read this thing - talk me off the ledge or explain where I am wrong.

After sitting on my deck with a beer listening to NHL radio, I have come to terms with what I couldn

I'm ready for 3 scoring lines instead of 2 scoring lines, a checking line and a sh!tty 4th line. I wouldn't at all mind seeing a very young 3rd line of players with something to prove. Just think we could have had a 3rd line this year consisting of Federov-Vrana-Bergors. I think that could have helped us out a lot in the long run.

Also I have no hate for Zubrus but I just think he was out of his element on the first line.

Oh well let's all get excited and possibly disappointed to see what we can get this year on July 1st.

Lou built this team to win this year and they were 1:20 away from having a good shot at it.

Zubrus was overvalued.

Rolston got hurt and never recovered.

Greene and Havelid should never have seen a shift in the last five minutes.

No one in the NHL will have 3 scoring lines ever again because of the cap, except maybe Detroit, because they've drafted sick, gotten ufa's they shouldn't have, and just fvcked themselves with long contracts in the hope that they'll be able to keep it all together.

I agree we need some youngblood but I would pay almost anything to Bouwmeester to sign with us even if it would cost us to loose gio or oduya to fa. He is young and will be around for many more years. I wouldnt mind trading sally back to STL to ease the cap.

Lou built this team to win this year and they were 1:20 away from having a good shot at it.

Zubrus was overvalued.

No one in the NHL will have 3 scoring lines ever again because of the cap, except maybe Detroit, because they've drafted sick, gotten ufa's they shouldn't have, and just fvcked themselves with long contracts in the hope that they'll be able to keep it all together.

1:20 from winning what? A first round series against a 6th seed that you should have beaten far easeier? Yes Carolina is a good team, but this team looked like true Cup Contenders a few months ago, and they fell flat on their faces. It also has to do with the locker room. The team went south on Marty for some reason, and Langs couldnt pull them back together. I truly beleive that, and will have a hard time beleiveing otherwise.

I'm ready for 3 scoring lines instead of 2 scoring lines, a checking line and a sh!tty 4th line. I wouldn't at all mind seeing a very young 3rd line of players with something to prove. Just think we could have had a 3rd line this year consisting of Federov-Vrana-Bergors. I think that could have helped us out a lot in the long run.

Also I have no hate for Zubrus but I just think he was out of his element on the first line.

Oh well let's all get excited and possibly disappointed to see what we can get this year on July 1st.

Federov-Vrana-Bergfors?? Get real!! I can't even comment on the stupidity of that statement. One player wasn't good enough so he went back to Europe and the other two haven't shown enough that they can stay.

F-it bring Turner Stevenson out of retirement, Get Brylin back from Russia and Call up Rheaume.

There you go the 2003 4th line. Brylin-Rheaume-Stevenson. I mean get the F real!!!

No offense, but 184 posts in 3 weeks and you start your own reactionary thread a few hours after the loss..is a bit out there.

No offense taken. But this quote is a bit out there. I have been a fan for over 20 years. After finding a Devils message board do you need a certain amount of posts in a specific time frame to post a topic?

The personal awards are not a direct result of the team lack of playoff success. It was just a strange individual focus this year that you don't normally see. That was just an observation that made me feel things were a bit different.

I don't disagree much with your other replies.

No offense taken. But this quote is a bit out there. I have been a fan for over 20 years. After finding a Devils message board do you need a certain amount of posts in a specific time frame to post a topic?

Yes. Also the more posts you have the bigger the fan you are. Self appointed forum awards in your signature means you pretty much own the team.

Zubrus was overvalued.

We were 1:20 away from the second round, not the finals. 1:20 away from seeing Ovechkin turn the defense into swiss cheese.

I think our expectations should be high every season, that I agree with all of you. However, times have changed and this is a different NHL that Lou and the Devils are clearly still adjusting to. Re-building, no. Re-tooling, yes.

Get rid of Madden, Holik and Havelid for sure. Shanahan could come back but he can't play an 80-game season anymore. Heck, if Gionta wants too much money, to hell with him.

We need a more solid defense. Go ahead, throw money at Bouwmeester (even though he hasn't performed in pressure situations (like the playoffs) since he was a teenager). Take a chance on skill rather than experience. Everyone's goal is to win the Cup and maybe a guy like Bouwmeester will have the hunger and drive to get us there.

Experience isn't everything, Lou!. Remember 2000? We had a great mix of veteran leaders and a ton of rookies that helped us to the Cup. White, Madden, Gomez, Rafalski were all rookies and they all played a pivotal role in winning it all.

2009-2010 Devils

Parise-Zajac-Langs

Elias-Rolston-Gionta

Tedenby-Zubrus-Bergfors <-- Cheapest way to have a scoring third line!

Pandolfo-UFA Center-Clarkson <-- There's a ton of UFA's who could fit the bill here. Todd Marchant? I've always liked him

Extra: Rupp, Shanahan?

Martin-UFA D-man <-- Bouwmeester? Komisarek?

Salvador-Oduya

White-Mottau/Greene/Corrente

Extra: Mottau/Greene/Corrente

Let's have a good off-season

Things to do next year:

-Madden needs to be resigned this guys is the only player who came to win every night.

-Re-sign Havlid . A solid defensemen and will only be better next year with us.

-Oduya is a star in the makings in the next few years needs to get a muli-year contract.

-Corrente moves up, Mottau becomes a #7 guy.

-Need to find the next Rafalski, not an expensive UFA.

-Need to give Mattia Tenneby a chance to make the big club.

-Need to give Bergsfor a chance to make the big club.

-Make LB3 a regular

-Ask Shanny to come back.

-Find a way to lose Zubrus.

I think our expectations should be high every season, that I agree with all of you. However, times have changed and this is a different NHL that Lou and the Devils are clearly still adjusting to. Re-building, no. Re-tooling, yes.

Get rid of Madden, Holik and Havelid for sure. Shanahan could come back but he can't play an 80-game season anymore. Heck, if Gionta wants too much money, to hell with him.

We need a more solid defense. Go ahead, throw money at Bouwmeester (even though he hasn't performed in pressure situations (like the playoffs) since he was a teenager). Take a chance on skill rather than experience. Everyone's goal is to win the Cup and maybe a guy like Bouwmeester will have the hunger and drive to get us there.

Experience isn't everything, Lou!. Remember 2000? We had a great mix of veteran leaders and a ton of rookies that helped us to the Cup. White, Madden, Gomez, Rafalski were all rookies and they all played a pivotal role in winning it all.

2009-2010 Devils

Parise-Zajac-Langs

Elias-Rolston-Gionta

Tedenby-Zubrus-Bergfors <-- Cheapest way to have a scoring third line!

Pandolfo-UFA Center-Clarkson <-- There's a ton of UFA's who could fit the bill here. Todd Marchant? I've always liked him

Extra: Rupp, Shanahan?

Martin-UFA D-man <-- Bouwmeester? Komisarek?

Salvador-Oduya

White-Mottau/Greene/Corrente

Extra: Mottau/Greene/Corrente

Let's have a good off-season

yeah thats about 10M over the cap.

Things to do next year:

-Madden needs to be resigned this guys is the only player who came to win every night.

-Oduya is a star in the makings in the next few years needs to get a muli-year contract.

-Make LB3 a regular

I agree with everything except the first 2. Madden is just doesnt have it anymore, sorry. Havelid was god awful. But if we remember Salvador wasnt that great when he came here after the deadline last year, and this year i thought he was pretty good. Thats the only positive i see with resigning havelid.

Id love to see Tenneby here.

Things to do next year:

-Make LB3 a regular

Lolwuttttttttttttttttt

Did you watch the playoffs this year? Or the 03' cup run?

I agree with everything except the first 2. Madden is just doesnt have it anymore, sorry. Havelid was god awful. But if we remember Salvador wasnt that great when he came here after the deadline last year, and this year i thought he was pretty good. Thats the only positive i see with resigning havelid.

Id love to see Tenneby here.

-I have to ask what series you were watching? Madden was our best player this series. If not for some blueline mistakes (White & Mottau in particular) we win this series BECAUSE of Madden's efforts.

-Havelid played smart hockey and helped our PK. I was thinking about Salavador (and Lukowich) in their second year as Devils and how much their game improved. I think Havalid makes that leap as well.

DEFENSE (18.643)

Komisarek (5) - Martin (3.83)

White (3) - Oduya (2.25)

Salvador (2.9) - Greene 700K

Mottau (762.5)

FORWARDS (27.742)

Parise (3.125)- Zajac (2.75) - Langenbrunner (2.8) ---(8.675)

Elias (6) - Cammaleri (3.5) - Rolston (5.062)

Clarkson (837.5)-Madden (2.25) -Zubrus (3.4)--- (6.480)

Leblond (500)-Pelley (500K)-Rupp (525K) ---- (1.525)

GOALIES - 5.7

Brodeur (5.2)

Clemmer (500K)

If I added this right, the total was 52.085 which should be OK.

Pando on Waivers.

Theres guys that be traded to make room for others. I don't see Gio staying. He can prob get more money in Buffalo. Madden's the heart of this team and needs to stay.

DEFENSE (18.643)

Komisarek (5) - Martin (3.83)

White (3) - Oduya (2.25)

Salvador (2.9) - Greene 700K

Mottau (762.5)

FORWARDS (27.742)

Parise (3.125)- Zajac (2.75) - Langenbrunner (2.8) ---(8.675)

Elias (6) - Cammaleri (3.5) - Rolston (5.062)

Clarkson (837.5)-Madden (2.25) -Zubrus (3.4)--- (6.480)

Leblond (500)-Pelley (500K)-Rupp (525K) ---- (1.525)

GOALIES - 5.7

Brodeur (5.2)

Clemmer (500K)

If I added this right, the total was 52.085 which should be OK.

Pando on Waivers.

Theres guys that be traded to make room for others. I don't see Gio staying. He can prob get more money in Buffalo. Madden's the heart of this team and needs to stay.

Please oh god no. We can get someone much more productive than him on our team for 2.25 a year. 7 goals this year? 1 playoff point and a -3 +/- from a 35 year old? No thanks.

No...you can't. Madden was PHENOMENAL for his job on the ice. You need a Brind'amour on the team. Madden's our guy. He's the leader. He's here. 2.25 is fine for what he brings, if he can get more somewhere else..by all means go for it. But 2.5 for Madden's more than fair. Did you see the PK last night, he's still got it.

I know Madden isnt here to score goals. But i mean for the amount of time he had and to only have 7 goals i mean come on. This team needs to start thinking offensively. I know this is a tough concept for the Devils, but we need to start gearing this team around the offense that Parise, Zajac, Elias, Langs bring and not the madden checking style. We played so well, when the team won its game on its offensive ability. Not "shutting down the other teams top line" aka playing the whole freaking game in our end, praying to just get the puck out.

If Madden, Pando, Sutter are all back next year...expect the same thing we saw in the playoffs.

No...you can't. Madden was PHENOMENAL for his job on the ice. You need a Brind'amour on the team. Madden's our guy. He's the leader. He's here. 2.25 is fine for what he brings, if he can get more somewhere else..by all means go for it. But 2.5 for Madden's more than fair. Did you see the PK last night, he's still got it.

Thanks HOI, I don't think most people understand Madden's value.

If Madden, Pando, Sutter are all back next year...expect the same thing we saw in the playoffs.

I think if you put Rolston b/t Madden /Pando their numbers would increase without fallout from their real roles.

Cammalleri is going to get 5.5-6 on the open market.

HOI, I think the bottom line is that one of Madden and Pandolfo have to go. One of them on a checking line is perfectly fine, but throwing both of them out there kills any chance that line has at producing goals. I'd much rather have Madden, but it looks like Pandolfo stole his contract.

I don't have a problem with Pando being moved/waived. Madden's here. He needs the cup one more time here before he's done. I love Jay, but I'm not sure how much he has left as regular 12 forward. I'd rather sign a guy like Freddy Sjostrom from the Nyr to play fourth line minnutes, or maybe even a guy like Mike Grier/Travis Moen from SJ to play third line minutes.

Cammalleri is going to get 5.5-6 on the open market.

You think so? that much?