I wouldn't mind seeing brodeur leave

peterstastny

I know he is the face of the franchise, but i think his time here is almost done. I know its easy for people on sportscenter who never watch a devils game then look at brodeurs numbers and say he is the best goalie ever. But for me, i watched 90% of his games here in NJ and he has the numbers but I don't find him to be a great puck stopping goalie.

What i think brodeur is amazing at, is directing rebounds, playing the puck outside the crease, and assisting in breakouts. But when it comes to making the key saves and DEFINITELY not chocking, time and time again he fails. I have been through too many play-off years ending on soft soft goals by him.

He played the majority of his years behind the best defensive core in hockey, look at clemenson this year, he put up identical #'s as brodeur has done for the past years. Brodeur was a young rookie, in the right spot at the right time, just as an amazing defensive team was being born.

Lets get a young kid in here that wants to stand on his head and win a stanley cup

Edited by peterstastny

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here, he's been exposed time and again as a fraud and these backbreaking softies over the past 15 years are just too much to deal with. He has yet to completely steal a series. If we're not clutching and grabbing, blocking every shot, and clearing the lane's for 17 weak wristers from the perimeter(pre lockout hockey) Brodeur is absolutely useless. He needs too much help to win.

I know he is the face of the franchise, but i think his time here is almost done. I know its easy for people on sportscenter who never watch a devils game then look at brodeurs numbers and say he is the best goalie ever. But for me, i watched 90% of his games here in NJ and he has the numbers but I don't find him to be a great puck stopping goalie.

What i think brodeur is amazing at, is directing rebounds, playing the puck outside the crease, and assisting in breakouts. But when it comes to making the key saves and DEFINITELY not chocking, time and time again he fails. I have been through too many play-off years ending on soft soft goals by him.

He played the majority of his years behind the best defensive core in hockey, look at clemenson this year, he put up identical #'s as brodeur has done for the past years. Brodeur was a young rookie, in the right spot at the right time, just as an amazing defensive team was being born.

Lets get a young kid in here that wants to stand on his head and win a stanley cup

Ok then you have just canned Brodeur. (Forgeting the fact he has a NTC)

Name me this "young kid" who is:

a) Better than Marty

b) Avaliable from another NHL team who would be willing to trade you the player.

If you can think of anyone you can have $100.

Same here, he's been exposed time and again as a fraud and these backbreaking softies over the past 15 years are just too much to deal with. He has yet to completely steal a series. If we're not clutching and grabbing, blocking every shot, and clearing the lane's for 17 weak wristers from the perimeter(pre lockout hockey) Brodeur is absolutely useless. He needs too much help to win.

I've yet to see an average team with a great goaltender WIN the Stanley Cup, well at least in the last 16 years. Maybe you can help me out? The best TEAM wins the Cup, it's much more then just goaltending. Could we have used a superhuman performance last night? Yeah maybe. But it would have also helped if our fvcking defense could clear a puck, or if our top line didn't get pinned in their own fvcking zone for over a minute.

And as far as Brodeur being useless, maybe you should think back a few years against Ottawa in 03. If Brodeur doesn't save Niedermayer's ass and stop Hossa late in the 3rd you don't have a Cup in 03.

It's a team game and you lose as a team. I'm so sick of reading this sh!t taking one single player out to pasture and blaming them for every loss. You claim you watched the games right? This was a complete team effort from top to bottom. Enough with the hate already.

Edited by SickMan

It's a team game and you lose as a team. I'm so sick of reading this sh!t taking one single player out to pasture and blaming them for every loss. You claim you watched the games right? This was a complete team effort from top to bottom. Enough with the hate already.

Once again, great post, SickMan.

And as far as Brodeur being useless, maybe you should think back a few years against Ottawa in 03. If Brodeur doesn't save Niedermayer's ass and stop Hossa late in the 3rd you don't have a Cup in 03.

The fact that you have to go back to 2003 speaks volumes. The Devils have been in the playoffs every year since (lockout excluded, of course), and Brodeur's most memorable moments have been a string of soft goals. Not taking anything away from what he's achieved, but his playoff performance since 2003 has been riddled with softies, and the Devils have had painfully early exits.

Last night Devs scored three. Take away the two softies Brodeur let in, and Devs win, 3-2. And how many soft goals did Ward let in?

- Jeff

Edited by jsonnabend

At this point it is clear he is still an excellent keeper, but not one that can carry the team. Not to a playoff win, nor a playoff series win, least of all a Cup win.

But like Osgood did last year, he can be good enough to help a very good/great team to do all of the above things he can not do on his own.

I will enjoy his regular season success over the next 3 years, and see if the team around him gets to that very good/great status in the playoffs, which could lead to another kick at the Silver Mig

Edited by BlueSkirt

Brodeur is great. Just needs some help back there. And don't give me this sh!t about not stealing, etc etc. He played good enough to win this series. his defense needs to be better. Even Roy had Robinson, Chelios, Schenider & Desjardins in his youth, Foote, Ozo in his prime, Bourque and Blake.

The fact that you have to go back to 2003 speaks volumes. The Devils have been in the playoffs every year since (lockout excluded, of course), and Brodeur's most memorable moments have been a string of soft goals. Not taking anything away from what he's achieved, but his playoff performance since 2003 has been riddled with softies, and the Devils have had painfully early exits.

Last night Devs scored three. Take away the two softies Brodeur let in, and Devs win, 3-2. And how many soft goals did Ward let in?

- Jeff

My point is that it's absloute crap to say that he has never done anything for this team. It's sh!t. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. It's just been the in thing to do, especially on these boards, to blame #30 for everything. Has his playoff record since 03 been a little spotty? Yes, very much so. But look at the players who have left this team over that span. Mike Mottau as one of your top 4? Give me a fvcking break. Regardless if the Devils would have held on last night it was painfully obvious that they weren't going to go far. Between the injuries and the mediocre Defense where were they going? I don't give a sh*t if Ken Dryden and Roy were our goalies. This team couldn't lock down a series with a little over a minute to go in a game. I just wan't someone to justify how this is all Brodeur's fault. The fact is that it can not be done because it simply isn't true.

Edited by SickMan

Brodeur is great. Just needs some help back there. And don't give me this sh!t about not stealing, etc etc. He played good enough to win this series. his defense needs to be better. Even Roy had Robinson, Chelios, Schenider & Desjardins in his youth, Foote, Ozo in his prime, Bourque and Blake.

its always easy to blame the goalie, so a$$holes always do that. What they dont realize is it is the defense and wingers not backchecking that also lead to goals. Staal burned the defense down the boards, time after time Carolina wingers burned the D down the boards to generate some offense. Time after time devils could not clear the zone or turned it over. How many backdoor goals have to go in before the defense realizes they have to cover the passing lane for that man?

You can not expect a goalie to stop a back door shot when the pass is coming from the point, he has to challenge the man with the puck.

Everyone expects Brodeur to be able to do everything, stop everything. Not possible. His responsibility is the man with the puck, not the pass.

So tell the defense to take away the backdoor, tell the defense to clear the zone and there you go.. Theres a couple goals gone already and there is atleast 2 wins in the series.

And as for Brodeur has never done anything or carried the team, how about 1995?? Like you said that was in the past, but to say he has never carried them? Detroit peppered Marty.

Devils lost as a team, they gave up late goals and they did not produce. Lets not forget they did lose 4-0... Thats marty's fault too right?? He gave up a goal and devils didnt score, so lets blame that one on him as well.

People are just blowing off steam, I think, not thinking it through before typing.

The criticism of Brodeur is warranted. He was part of a team that crumbled in the last 1:30 in Game 7. But offering to pack his suitcase is rash to say the least, just like it was rash when people screamed about ripping the C off Stevens' jersey in 1998 and 1999.

Right, Pepperkorn? :)

What I wouldn't mind is exploring the possibility of a blockbuster trade getting back young talent/picks that will let them rebuild as a real contender 2-3 years down the road. I can just as soon live w/o these first/second round exits for that long if it meant coming back stronger then.