Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Bouwmeester or bust

That's the question... I don't know the answer though. That's why Lou gets paid the big bucks. Figure it out.

Lots of people on the Devils forums are playing armchair GM today without taking the cap into account. I just want to hear some realistic scenarios for the offseason. A look at the free agent market, the Devils free agent situation, the cap and the barren farm have me a little worried about what this team will look like next season.

Lots of people on the Devils forums are playing armchair GM today without taking the cap into account. I just want to hear some realistic scenarios for the offseason. A look at the free agent market, the Devils free agent situation, the cap and the barren farm have me a little worried about what this team will look like next season.

I know, and I admit that I'm not the most cap savvy guy. That kind of stuff pretty much bores the living sh!t out of me. If I wanted to deal in financials, I would've become an accountant. That's why I'm curious to hear the opinions of posters like Tri, because he knows this sh!t inside and out. What I do know is Lou has two major holes to fill in order for this team to be in a position to compete for the Cup next year, or else we'll be lamenting the same sh!t again in 12 months.

Good. So we'll return with the same roster next year. Can't wait to hang that 2009-2010 Atlantic Division banner after another first round loss. Brilliant fvcking plan.

Never said that.

Just pointed out the failures and repricussions of the UFA market. We need some tweaks but not a major overhaul which is what you proposed.

Cannot be serious! :puke:

Bye-bye Havelid and thank you for being way out of position leaving Jokinen wide open for the back door tying goal last night in Game 7. The fvcker is gone.

+1 Mike.

Don't be surprised when Lou re-signs Havelid before July.

Never said that.

Just pointed out the failures and repricussions of the UFA market. We need some tweaks but not a major overhaul which is what you proposed.

Don't be surprised when Lou re-signs Havelid before July.

I'm not trying to propse a major overhaul bro. We need two key spots filled: we need a d-man, and we need a second line center. Of course I know we have to give Zajac a raise, we have to sign Oduya... I'm up in the air about Gionta and Madden right now. Havelid should be on the first plane back to fvcking Sweden. I'm not saying gut the team... I'm simply saying that these two positions have to be filled one way or another, or it'll be the same result next year. Lou really screwed himself on those Zubrus, Rolston and Pandolfo deals. If we do nothing or something minor only, those deals will be why.

Maddog, It looks like we will only be able to fill one of them. Through UFA, the defense has a better chance at getting fixed. Other then a trade, Cammalleri and Antropov are the only good 2nd line centers out there. With defense there's a realistic shot of getting a Komisarek/Ohlund/Beauchemin that will fill the defensive need. Lou is going to have to get creative with the center situation.

signing a center and re-signing gio is just about impossible

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Maddog, It looks like we will only be able to fill one of them. Through UFA, the defense has a better chance at getting fixed. Other then a trade, Cammalleri and Antropov are the only good 2nd line centers out there. With defense there's a realistic shot of getting a Komisarek/Ohlund/Beauchemin that will fill the defensive need. Lou is going to have to get creative with the center situation.

signing a center and re-signing gio is just about impossible

How did I miss Beauchimen and Komisarek? What type of contracts would those guys command?

I'm not trying to propse a major overhaul bro. We need two key spots filled: we need a d-man, and we need a second line center. Of course I know we have to give Zajac a raise, we have to sign Oduya... I'm up in the air about Gionta and Madden right now. Havelid should be on the first plane back to fvcking Sweden. I'm not saying gut the team... I'm simply saying that these two positions have to be filled one way or another, or it'll be the same result next year. Lou really screwed himself on those Zubrus, Rolston and Pandolfo deals. If we do nothing or something minor only, those deals will be why.

By wanting us to go after Boumeester is pretty much calling for a complete overhaul, based having to restructure the roster to pay for him. Lou did screw himself with Zubrus and Rolston (and Malakhov, Mogilny) but that is pitfall of playing the UFA game.

We do need another D (after Lou re-signs Havelid), but Lou is more likely to find the answer in the European League (to find the next Streit, Rafalski or Oduya).

We do need a second line center, which is probably our most pressing need. He will probably look to Lowell or make a trade here. I would love Cammellari, but not sure we could afford him either.

We do need a second line center, which is probably our most pressing need. He will probably look to Lowell or make a trade here. I would love Cammellari, but not sure we could afford him either.

cammellari made 3.6 this season and will most likely get a big payday

Well the temper tantrum crybabies are running high today for sure. The sting of this lost has turned into "get the best free agent or bust".

People speaking like this team "personally" owes them something. Did it suck - yes! IS it the end of the franchise - no!

We did that this year (i.e. Rolston), everyone was on cloud nine, then when the first year didn't pan out he was the scape goat for this years playoffs (w/Zubrus).

Absolutely, we lost Uncle Lou...buy me something wah wah wah!

I know, and I admit that I'm not the most cap savvy guy. That kind of stuff pretty much bores the living sh!t out of me. If I wanted to deal in financials, I would've become an accountant. That's why I'm curious to hear the opinions of posters like Tri, because he knows this sh!t inside and out. What I do know is Lou has two major holes to fill in order for this team to be in a position to compete for the Cup next year, or else we'll be lamenting the same sh!t again in 12 months.

Komisarek again huh?

Have you been drinking the Habs Kool Aid? Guess they sold you with the Alll Star votes.....

No way is he a top tier D man.

Nedis? Nope...the nostalgia continues. HE had a terrible regular season for the first 2/3'rds, and he's obviouslly slowing down.

Again Beauch is the best option. It's gonna cost 5M, but he eats big minutes, has played with the big boys, and can actually hit the net.

We need to have this discussion next week when the sting of last night has lessened a bit.

if you have watched any of the ducks games this playoffs, you would know that niedermayer is still a spectacular player and well worth overpaying for. but it would take a miracle for him to sign in NJ.

Edited by brylin18

cammellari made 3.6 this season and will most likely get a big payday

I would think so, but for whatever reason he seems to have a lot of baggage. LA jettisoned him and Calgary tried to get rid of him at the trade deadline. They also picked up the other Joikenen because they didn't trust Cammellari.

if you have watched any of the ducks games this playoffs, you would know that niedermayer is still a spectacular player and well worth overpaying for. but it would take a miracle for him to sign in NJ.

Beating the heavily favored Sharks is a testament to that.

....and if you had seen EVERY SINGLE game that Anaheim played, rather than just getting interested at playoff time you would have seen he had been struggling ALL YEAR!!!!!

Get off your Devils nostalgia trip and actually watch him a whole season.

I'm not paying $6M for a guy whose not sure about playing.

Its moot because he will NEVER return to NJ.

ANA owes its playoff debts to a magical Hiller (god they know how to make a backup into a #1) and a revitalized Pronger who seems to have learned how to strattle the line of agressive play.

By wanting us to go after Boumeester is pretty much calling for a complete overhaul, based having to restructure the roster to pay for him. Lou did screw himself with Zubrus and Rolston (and Malakhov, Mogilny) but that is pitfall of playing the UFA game.

We do need another D (after Lou re-signs Havelid), but Lou is more likely to find the answer in the European League (to find the next Streit, Rafalski or Oduya).

I agree that we need this, but not that it comes before upgrading our defense. This series made it abundantly clear that without defensemen that can win battles for the puck, keep up with a forward who is skating remotely fast, or clear the puck, our forwards have to spend too much time worrying about defense and not enough time focusing on putting together a good attack. We don't need a big name to fill the 2nd line center hole, just someone who can keep up with what Elias is thinking when he has the puck, aka, not Zubrus. Alternatively, is there any chance that Elias would switch back to center, and we could move someone else up to fill out the line on wing? Shanny? Clarkson?

As for the defense, our defensive corp is both missing a true #1 guy, and, more importantly, is just too slow and unskilled wit the puck to get by post-lockout. People talk about White and Mottau as a "shutdown" pair, but to be completely honest, I don't think a shutdown defensive pair is a legitimate strategy anymore, if it ever was, and I don't think a defenseman with zero offensive upside can be a legitimate force in the league at all. You want to throw a top winger off of his game? You do it by bringing some offensive skill to the table. Make that winger worry that you're going to make a great breakout pass, so he's afraid to forecheck hard. Make that winger expend his energy trying to cover you in the offensive zone, trying to prevent you from getting a good shot or pinching to get a good scoring chance. When you have a Colin White out there, other team's forwards don't need to spend a split second worrying about playing defense, and they therefore are much more energized and effective on offense. And most importantly, defensemen just have to be able to skate. It doesn't matter how well you position yourself, if you get beat to the corner on every single dump-in, and if you can't book it to beat a pass to the corner so that you can clear a puck every once in a while, you are a defensive liability. That's what happened all series - our defensemen positioned themselves well, forced pass after pass around the outside, were skated and passed around over and over, unable to touch the puck, until eventually a long shot found its way through and took a fortunate bounce.

With the exceptions of Oduya, Martin, and Greene, I've been noticing these problems over and over again with the rest of our defensemen. I think the problem can be partly helped by just telling them to be more aggressive in our own zone - even if it requires the risk of being slightly out of position, I think a little aggression would have gone a long way towards breaking up Carolina's marathon puck-possessions in our end. But if we're going to be a real contender in the near future (which I definitely think we have the potential for), we need at least 5 regular defensemen who can actually keep up with quick forwards, and who don't need to take 2 seconds to think about what to do with the puck before giving it away to someone waiting for a weak dump at the blue line.

...just so devils pride 26 stays quiet...

here are this offseason's free agents to be >>>>

assuming the Devils only resign zajac to about 3Mil and oduya to about the same would leave the devils with about 17-18 million cap room, but without one d-man, 4 forwards and a goalie.

Edited by cubanjd305

Well the temper tantrum crybabies are running high today for sure. The sting of this lost has turned into "get the best free agent or bust".

People speaking like this team "personally" owes them something. Did it suck - yes! IS it the end of the franchise - no!

We did that this year (i.e. Rolston), everyone was on cloud nine, then when the first year didn't pan out he was the scape goat for this years playoffs (w/Zubrus).

Absolutely, we lost Uncle Lou...buy me something wah wah wah!

Komisarek again huh?

Have you been drinking the Habs Kool Aid? Guess they sold you with the Alll Star votes.....

No way is he a top tier D man.

Nedis? Nope...the nostalgia continues. HE had a terrible regular season for the first 2/3'rds, and he's obviouslly slowing down.

Again Beauch is the best option. It's gonna cost 5M, but he eats big minutes, has played with the big boys, and can actually hit the net.

We need to have this discussion next week when the sting of last night has lessened a bit.

Beauchimen is fantastic - I completely agree he's the best option. He's a constant presence on the ice, and I think having him around would help Martin and Oduya boost their games even more as well.

the regular season is childs play for guys like niedermayer........i dont really give a sh!t if he plays to half of what he's capable of during the regular season, half a niedermayer is still better than the best of oduya.....and oduya is a great player.

if you put niedermayer on this team next season, the devils are going to the conference finals, AT LEAST.

there's no way Lou will spring for Bouwmeester. I can see him going after Sheldon Souray though or Neidermayer. He seems to have a thing for ex-Devils.

If he can't get them, then he'll opt for a lower-tier free agent like Havelid.

Mark it down. Face it people, Lou is stuck in a 1995 time warp and he's too stubborn to realize that the Devils Reunion Tour doesn't work anymore. We're going to have to ride this baby out for a while...

the regular season is childs play for guys like niedermayer........i dont really give a sh!t if he plays to half of what he's capable of during the regular season, half a niedermayer is still better than the best of oduya.....and oduya is a great player.

if you put niedermayer on this team next season, the devils are going to the conference finals, AT LEAST.

You are living in the past.

In addition to being spoiled with a playoff run every year.

What do you do when he's not motivated to play 82 games and the teams play suffers?

Oh thats right....Devils always make the playoffs!

Can Dano still skate too?

devLA: given the devils injury problems this season it is abundantly clear that the devils are going to the playoffs next year without a massive dropoff from key contributors. they can afford regular season passengers. that said, i don't want to continue the nostalgia ride either.

Edited by Triumph

people....bouwmeester would cost at least 5-6 which equals to around 33% of the salary cap remaining assuming they only sign oduya and zajac...AND WE WOULD STILL NEED 4 FORWARDS AND A GOALIE....

it is so easy to throw around names without considering the cost (that's why baseball's easier he), reality is, bouwmeester is impossible with all the holes we'll have on the roster next season

also...what do you think "egocentric" marty will think when someone other than elias gets the big bucks?

Edited by cubanjd305

i get why lou hopped on the nostalgia train and i believe that he has the right idea. if you're a young player on the team, you need to know that the guys you're playing with have gone through the playoff grind, have experienced the ups and downs, and have come out as champions. THAT's why its important to have vets. if all your vets have known is failure, than guess what? they're veteran failures. they're good at failing. what good is that type of vet experience?

how do you think a young colin white felt knowing he had THE scott stevens on the ice backing him up? you know that you have a fvcking warrior on your team that would nail the sh!t out of shane willis with 40 seconds left in a decided game because you PLAY THE GAME TO THE LAST MINUTE.

theres a crew of veterans on this team that has gotten used to failure. madden, pandolfo, even brodeur and elias to a certain extent. i still have faith in langenbrunner as a captain, and i know that parise is a hustler and he will be a great player for this team. but there's a culture of losing thats starting to creep into the team.

K right now we need leave the fvcking usual its a dream sh!t home cuz its been a while since we had a big star in

the team (Parise,Brodeur and Elias exception) + we need that power play men at the blue line sure Rolston

should do the job but he don't so why not pack something like Havelid Zubrus and something else to get the so

needed men cuz if we look at this damn serie if we had scored on the power play we would have won it and

don't tell no their PK was good no excuses.