A funny thing about Oduya on this board

Jerrydevil

Oduya is exactly what we need on defense, he can skate and he's relatively quick with the puck. He's also been steadily improving over the past couple of seasons and I wouldn't be surprised to see him become even more confident skating with the puck next year. I think 3.5 per year sounds about right, though if he's happy here, I'd hope we could lock him up quickly for a bit less.

he is worth it....if you let him go, you have to replace him with another d man who can skate and handle the puck like he does, otherwise we'll be left with only martin to do this. how can people say we need more offense out of our d men but oduya is not worth the money? and say the tema needs to get younger, but also expect to get niedermayer?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks we're gonna get Oduya for less than we paid for Jay Pandolfo or Bryce Salvador is delusional.

The only thing helping the cause is how awful the current economy is.

Oduya may take a hometown discount but he's gonna get offers north of 3-4 million elsewhere. He can't take THAT much of a discount.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Anyone who thinks we're gonna get Oduya for less than we paid for Jay Pandolfo or Bryce Salvador is delusional.

The only thing helping the cause is how awful the current economy is.

Oduya may take a hometown discount but he's gonna get offers north of 3-4 million elsewhere. He can't take THAT much of a discount.

if another team reaches 4 mill he's gone. he's not going to get an offer higher than martin's here. martin is 3.8 btw

I've been saying the same exact thing for a long time.

Anybody suggesting under 3 per is crazy. We're talking about a league where Jay Pandolfo got 2.5M

true.....but I think we now have to consider the situation in this country...maybe that'll play a factor, actually it will.

I don't think Oduya will get that much, he's still extremely under the radar..IMO. I think the Devils resign him for a fair deal.

Jeff Finger got $14 million. You never know out there. Who knows if Oduya feels any loyalty to the Devils either. He might be looking to go somewhere new.

Edited by devilsrule33

I think if the Devils want to compete they need to upgrade the defense. Whether that's on the free agent market or through trades, I don't know, but this team cannot go all the way with this blueline corps. I'm amazed this team put up a 100-pt season the way it looks on paper.

Oduya is exactly what we need on defense, he can skate and he's relatively quick with the puck. He's also been steadily improving over the past couple of seasons and I wouldn't be surprised to see him become even more confident skating with the puck next year. I think 3.5 per year sounds about right, though if he's happy here, I'd hope we could lock him up quickly for a bit less.

agreed. Oduya has to be signed. A nightmare scenario would be Oduya getting a high offer from a team like the Rangers and Lou deciding not to match it. I hope nothing like that happens...

I've been saying the same exact thing for a long time.

Anybody suggesting under 3 per is crazy. We're talking about a league where Jay Pandolfo got 2.5M

Was anybody even competing with us to sign Pandolfo? How he got that much continues to baffle me, even in the deal was signed before this season.

Was anybody even competing with us to sign Pandolfo? How he got that much continues to baffle me, even in the deal was signed before this season.

He got that much because Lou compensates the players who have won him Cups. But as they get older and start to slide, he doesn't cut them loose in search of more talented replacements who might command top dollar. Instead he winds up overpaying his mediocre older players out of a sense of loyalty and appreciation. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes is doesn't. Since 2003, it hasn't.

Just because we sign Oduya (which said before will probably be anywhere between 3.5-4 million) That doesn't mean that we won't sign another Defenseman, it does mean that we probably won't be getting a player like Bouwmeester but we could probably sign Komisarek. I don't know how much he'd be asking though, probably around 5 million.

There prolly was a decent bit of interest around the league. Pandolfo was a selke finalist (runner up IIRC) and was a HUGE piece of our team that year. Frankly im just happy Madden went UFA this year instead of after the julien season or something like that were he might have even gotten a raise as opposed to now where he is more likely to be on his way out the door :pray: .

As for Oduya I agree with sweet upward scaling contract at ~3.5mil cap hit. IMO we are lucky if we get him at that price because if anyone around the league that likes throwing stupid money at players (*cough*Rangers*cough*) has watched his play develop over the last couple seasons he would easily be getting 5mil perseason as he is young and has great mobility and actually scores some clutch goals on a team that has had just this side of no goal productivity from the back end.

3.0/3.25/3.5/3.75/4.0 lock him up for 5 years so we get him for all of his good years at a more than reasonable price. after that we can start looking into some better suited shutdown guys.

I like the sound of that

Ditto.

The FA market isn't exactly brimming over with good, solid skating Ds with some offense thrown in the mix. I'm pretty sure, given his improvements over the past couple of seasons, that he could put in 15 goals and 25-30 assists given some PP time, and for sure some teams would strongly consider overpaying for that.

IIRC, he didn't even hit UFA, he signed the day before. Might as well be locked up in jail for stealing that much money.

:lol: I completely forgot about that.

He got that much because Lou compensates the players who have won him Cups. But as they get older and start to slide, he doesn't cut them loose in search of more talented replacements who might command top dollar. Instead he winds up overpaying his mediocre older players out of a sense of loyalty and appreciation. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes is doesn't. Since 2003, it hasn't.

Pandolfo did not win cups for the Devils. He was on the team when it won the Stanley Cup. He was probably a help to the team, but I'm sure that he could have been replaced. He wasn't valuable enough where it warrants giving him 2.5 m/y to be a healthy scratch.

There prolly was a decent bit of interest around the league. Pandolfo was a selke finalist (runner up IIRC) and was a HUGE piece of our team that year. Frankly im just happy Madden went UFA this year instead of after the julien season or something like that were he might have even gotten a raise as opposed to now where he is more likely to be on his way out the door :pray: .

The fact that Pandolfo was such a big part of our team that year shows why we faced so many problems. Any attempt we make to match lines always bites us in the ass, so players like Pando are becoming expenndable.