Report: Sutter Stepping Down

thefiestygoat

I would have respected him if he finished out his contract and left when it was up.

The thing people are overlooking now is that the journo's that we were bashing all season for saying this were actually RIGHT the whole time.

This was very unprofessional and makes Sutter look like a big baby.

If you are wary about coming here in the first place, why do you sign a three year deal?

Like I said, if he finished out his contract and decided to leave AFTER all of the hockey has been played, then I'd respect him. Now after all these baby games, Lou has a few weeks to look for a coach before this hurts us in the free agent market. You better believe a player is going to be hesitant to sign here not know who the coach is going to be.

Players and coaches all have a habit of bailing on their last year of contract..... Sutter saw a chance to get his feet wet in professional coaching and now he sees a chance to coach at home for a NHL team. Yes everyone is denying those rumors, but seriously read between the lines and take off the Devils colored glasses..... He saw the coaching position open in Calgary.... Expect his brother Darryl to make an offer sometime soon and dont be surprised if he takes it.. Brent said he wants to be closer to family, what better way to be close than working for his brother.

.... lets just hope we can find a decent coach who is the right fit.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be very pissed off/dissapointed in Sutter if he joins another team this season. It's ridiculous, this whole process. I didn't like the way he went to the press and never once did he compliment the Devils or express any sort of attachment to the process he started here in NJ. That's disappointing.

I still don't want MacLean.

I'd take Laviolette or Haviland.

I will be very pissed off/dissapointed in Sutter if he joins another team this season. It's ridiculous, this whole process. I didn't like the way he went to the press and never once did he compliment the Devils or express any sort of attachment to the process he started here in NJ. That's disappointing.

Well he complimented Lou plenty, but yeah I agree with the general point. He never once gave reasons why he would stay (maybe he will at a press conference, if he has one here), only reasons why he wanted to leave. So I don't see how his leaving is any surprise, the only thing that I don't get is why it took so long.

Well he complimented Lou plenty, but yeah I agree with the general point. He never once gave reasons why he would stay (maybe he will at a press conference, if he has one here), only reasons why he wanted to leave. So I don't see how his leaving is any surprise, the only thing that I don't get is why it took so long.

Exactly....

yeah, if he joins another nhl team he's another saban-style charlatan, which i wouldn't expect from a sutter. it is refreshing that he didn't say things like 'i really want to be back' like a lot of guys would, so there's some honesty in him.

I still don't want MacLean.

I'd take Laviolette or Haviland.

anyone who forechecks hard. the neutral zone trap is not an option.

FU Sutter!

You were supposed to be the chosen one who succeeds Lou.

Now you quit with still one year left on your contract?

Sorry, that is classless. Any of your players who played with that attitude would be on a stationary bike now

I can't wait for the line of "don't let the door hit you in the ass" posters we're going to get when the sun rises in NJ today.

A thread full of: JL vs. Johnny Mac - two both terrible options.

I know it sounds obvious but - personality is really key for this team.

A coach for this team has to be big enough to stand up against the egos and motivate some multiple-cup-winning vets.

The options available don't look too good given these factors. A rookie AHL coach isn't going to be able to do it.

(and the Bylsma argument is not a comparison as most of those guys are young and hungry)

Teddy Nolan seems the only personality to come close.

Anyone stop to think that there may have been more going on behind the scenes than what we though. Some possibilities:

1.) Too much control from Lou

2.) Too much control from MB

(No, this is not a cue for you LD!!!)

I'm just saying, maybe the Mandolfo line wasn't his choice....and maybe he wants to go somewhere where its REALLY his team!

Just a theory.....any thoughts?

Ya know DLA, that thought crossed my mind... I really don't want to think that was the case but Lou seems to be stuck in 1995 so it certainly wouldn't shock me. I just hope for a young hire like Haviland. No Lemaire. Certainly no MacLean. Lou's decisions of late don't give me the utmost amount of confidence that he'll make the right hire. If he hires either Lemaire or Johnny Mac, it might be time to check Lou into a nursing home.

I thought there is a certain rule that you cannot make this type of announcements during the finials( i.e coaching changes, playermoves)

there was no announcement yet, it was a report out of calgary.

I'm actually surprised with the class of some people...well not really. The guy is a family man. Who knows what personal issues he is going through. Maybe he is trying to save a marriage.

With the way Sutter ended his career in Jersey...there is no question in my mind he will be back in the NHL. This Sutter's live and die hockey, and I just don't think he is going to stop coaching for good after a loss to the team's and his own personal rival and the embarassing loss to the Canes.

As for too much control from Lou. I doubt that is why he is leaving, but I am sure that never helped. Sutter was used to answering to nobody, and now here he is dealing with the most involved GM in the game. Every quote from Brent this year dealt with him talking it over with Lou and coming to some kind of mutual decision. I remember in an interview this year him just laughing off a question about Lou being one very tough boss. I think coming to Jersey was never the right match for Brent personally, but I am glad he came because there is a good chance that the 08 and 09 teams don't make the playoffs under a different coach.

Sutter was a good coach but nothing spectacular.... he led us to a epic collapse and a first round exit. He won't be remembered here any more then Constantine or any of the other short timers. Won't matter who coaches here if the talent level doesn't improve. Didn't matter to me if he came back or not, I just want someone who actually wants to be here.

Sutter found the key to success this year (aggressive forecheck, rolling 4 lines and not playing the offense-killing "matchups" game) and abandoned it in the post-season, which cost us at least a 1st round victory.

He gave us two great regular seasons (nearly 100 wins over the two) but also two very disappointing playoff appearances. This year, especially.

Not good riddance, just a tearless farewell.

The question now is, who replaces him? The pool available should frighten everyone. Hint: it's not an ex-Devil (coach, player, or otherwise).