Brent Sutter says 'I'm not a quitter'

Rock

First of all the whole marriage thing is total speculation, there's nothing to substantiate anything of that nature.

Secondly, why did he leave in the first place if being away from home was such an issue? He more than anyone should have known the price he'd have to pay coaching 3000 miles away, he played most of his career 3000 miles away from his family. I don't want to say he did it for the money per se but you could make that argument.

The Doc thing is totally different, he's under contract to work for VS and NBC - sometimes national games conflict with the local broadcast. He took a leave of absence for his dad, he didn't quit - and if he did so be it he's an announcer, a great and enjoyable one but other people don't depend on him for the success of the team.

I'm just saying we don't know the whole story so lets not rush to crucify him.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say a big FU to those calling the guy a quitter.

Although I'm not pleased with the way it wen down in the last months, part of me believes that might have been a smokesreen to buy time for Lou to get a plan together.

Fact is, if he goes directly to CAL, I'll believe he's a traitor.

If not, he did what he did for his family, maybe even to save his marriage as someone said. Like a real man.

If this was a decision by King Scott Stevens people here would be lauding it (including you PK) like he was "humanitarian of the year".

Then again there are a lot of young single dudes on this board that probably don't have that kind of perspective yet.

Was Doc Emerick a "quitter" when he leaves to go do broadcasts for Vs. or NBC, or when his Dad passed away?

So for now I've got to say "get over it people". Stop being selfish and respect the guys value of family. There's a bigger world out there than JUST NJ hockey.

What iff it was your Dad or your marriage?

This. And this again.

Although I'm not pleased with the way it wen down in the last months, part of me believes that might have been a smokesreen to buy time for Lou to get a plan together.

If not, he did what he did for his family, maybe even to save his marriage as someone said. Like a real man.

If this was a decision by King Scott Stevens people here would be lauding it (including you PK) like he was "humanitarian of the year".

Then again there are a lot of young single dudes on this board that probably don't have that kind of perspective yet.

Was Doc Emerick a "quitter" when he leaves to go do broadcasts for Vs. or NBC, or when his Dad passed away?

So for now I've got to say "get over it people". Stop being selfish and respect the guys value of family. There's a bigger world out there than JUST NJ hockey.

What iff it was your Dad or your marriage?

FU too,

He is not the first guy to take a job in another town. His wife could have come with him to NJ, or flow flown over here on a regular basis. He was making enough money. A Girl that demands you leave your team is not worth it anyway. If he did not know what he was getting into before he signed the deal, then he is just plain stupid.

'left without a chair?' pat quinn and jacques martin do resemble furniture, i'll grant you, but i don't think any of the coaches that have been hired are guys the devils would've been interested in.

I reread what i wrote and that was really the wrong phrase to use. i guess i just feel that this last month lou could've been vetting choices and had someone in place. then again, as long as he's got it by 7/1, i suppose its fine.

if lou names a successor this week, then he knew for a while. if not, there's no smokescreen.

i have no problem that he chose family over this team - nobody does. but why didn't he choose it two years ago?

enough with the scott stevens stuff. i think you don't give enough people on this board credit to say that stevens is in someway a current day messiah.

you don't need to be a married late 40's guy with a family to have perspective.

your Doc analogy is ridiculous - it is in no way similar to what this is.

So if your marriage or child's mental/physical health was in possible jeopardy it wouldn't matter?

All THAT MATTERS in the NJ Devils?

Selfish much?

Didn't you ever learn not to judge someone - especially when you have like 10% of the whole story?

Or is he obligated to disclose personal matters of his marriage and family because he's in a "premier position in the NHL"?

I guess Pat Burns is a quitter too regardless of his issues?

No, if you bothered to read what I wrote, I said I would quit, and would be a quitter and wouldn't care that people called me a quitter since I had more important things like those you mentioned.

Which is more or less his attitude but It doesn't make him any less the quitter.

You are coming pretty far out of left field on those random speculations, it's much more likely the guy wasn't enjoying his time here and wanted to go home and wait for the chance to coach the Flames.

FU too,

He is not the first guy to take a job in another town. His wife could have come with him to NJ, or flow flown over here on a regular basis. He was making enough money. A Girl that demands you leave your team is not worth it anyway. If he did not know what he was getting into before he signed the deal, then he is just plain stupid.

The guy has a 17-year-old daughter he didn't want to uproot to move not only 3,000 miles away, but to ANOTHER COUNTRY. That's all well and good if you have a 7 year old... but I'm not uprooting my daughter out of high school in her senior fvcking year. Some people on this board really need a fvcking perspective. The world doesn't revolve around the Devils.

The guy has a 17-year-old daughter he didn't want to uproot to move not only 3,000 miles away, but to ANOTHER COUNTRY. That's all well and good if you have a 7 year old... but I'm not uprooting my daughter out of high school in her senior fvcking year. Some people on this board really need a fvcking perspective. The world doesn't revolve around the Devils.

You are telling me he his daughter surprisingly became 17?

You are telling me he his daughter surprisingly became 17?

Ya know what dude, it's pretty obvious to me you are incapable of putting yourself in another person's shoes and empathizing with a situation. Talk to me after you've had a family and see if your attitude changes. I hope it does for the sake of your family.

Edited by MadDog2020

I don't think most people around here are calling Sutter a quitter because of why he quit; it is more 'when' he quit. For someone who was an NHL player and was away from his family for 9 months of the year. Sutter should have known what he was getting himself into. If he had turned down the job two years ago to stay in Red Deer, all the power to him. But to "test out New Jersey" for two years, and then drag out his actual resignation for 2 months is a bit of a dick move.

Ya know what dude, it's pretty obvious to me you are incapable of putting yourself in another person's shoes and empathizing with a situation. Talk to me after you've had a family and see if your attitude changes. I hope it does for the sake of your family.

i have a family - i would do anything for them - and i wouldn't care what other people think either. but that doesn't mean that if i quit on a job and potentially left my company in a lurch i could tell people they couldn't call me a quitter. the justification doesn't remove the label.

I don't think most people around here are calling Sutter a quitter because of why he quit; it is more 'when' he quit. For someone who was an NHL player and was away from his family for 9 months of the year. Sutter should have known what he was getting himself into. If he had turned down the job two years ago to stay in Red Deer, all the power to him. But to "test out New Jersey" for two years, and then drag out his actual resignation for 2 months is a bit of a dick move.

yahtzee!!!!

Not to mention his decision seems to have as much (if not more) to do with the team in Red Deer than actual family concerns. I mean that's all we ever heard as a reason why he wanted to go home, his team wasn't doing well and it was his pride and joy.

Family I don't have an issue with though like I said he more than anyone should have seen the issues with coaching 3000 miles away, but it just seems to me as if he cared more about running Red Deer than coaching the Devils.

Edited by Hasan4978

Please, give me a break. I have a family, 3 daughters, I spend my childhood moving around to different countries and I just moved with my family to the US from Germany a few years ago. If you can

yahtzee!!!!

Yahtzee_logo.JPG

Not to mention his decision seems to have as much (if not more) to do with the team in Red Deer than actual family concerns. I mean that's all we ever heard as a reason why he wanted to go home, his team wasn't doing well and it was his pride and joy.

Family I don't have an issue with though like I said he more than anyone should have seen the issues with coaching 3000 miles away, but it just seems to me as if he cared more about running Red Deer than coaching the Devils.

I agree with what you're saying, but I wish that it wasn't true as it only makes Sutter's actions more of a slap in the face. For someone who spent a great deal of time away from his family in the past, Sutter must have built up an ability to deal with homesickness. As a result, I'm inclined to believe that Sutter's junior team played a bigger role in his resignation than many people think.

A lot of you here are really being judgemental pricks based on your own insecurities that "he didn't really want to coach here".

What if his wife has cancer?

What if his daughter tried to committ suicide?

What if his daughter's pregnant?

What if they don't want the reason to go public?

What if it was something that developed AFTER he took the gig while in NJ?

Were you there?

What if...?

What if....?

Fact is, none of us know, none of have any evidence (even myself), so why judge him?

Does it give you some sort of satisfaction?

Obviouslly, this "family perspective" is lost on some of you, and your rush to judge him so quickly as selfish and crucify him makes me happy that I don't know some of you personally.

Look I'm not happy about it....but this "fvck that quiter, he did nothing but deny us our god-given right to a SC Final the past two years, with his post-season, chicken sh!t, incompetent coaching" - just reinforces the spoiled brat stereotype of some factions of the Devils fanbase.

Can we it least see how this plays out before we throw a 2 years old's temper tantrum?

A lot of you here are really being judgemental pricks based on your own insecurities that "he didn't really want to coach here".

What if his wife has cancer?

What if his daughter tried to committ suicide?

What if his daughter's pregnant?

What if they don't want the reason to go public?

What if it was something that developed AFTER he took the gig while in NJ?

Were you there?

What if...?

What if....?

Fact is, none of us know, none of have any evidence (even myself), so why judge him?

Does it give you some sort of satisfaction?

Obviouslly, this "family perspective" is lost on some of you, and your rush to judge him so quickly as selfish and crucify him makes me happy that I don't know some of you personally.

Look I'm not happy about it....but this "fvck that quiter, he did nothing but deny us our god-given right to a SC Final the past two years, with his post-season, chicken sh!t, incompetent coaching" - just reinforces the spoiled brat stereotype of some factions of the Devils fanbase.

Can we it least see how this plays out before we throw a 2 years old's temper tantrum?

Agree, but John Ferugson Jr. suffered the same fate and Bob Gainey faced the same situation as well, but they didn't quit their jobs. They needed time off and I totally respect that, but however though, Brent steps down largely because he missed his family not because his family is about to die. Even Pat Burns did his best even though he had cancer. Sutter=quitter

Edited by Devil Fan

Agree, but John Ferugson Jr. suffered the same fate and Bob Gainey faced the same situation as well, but they didn't quit their jobs. They needed time off and I totally respect that, but however though, Brent steps down largely because he missed his family not because his family is about to die. Even Pat Burns did his best even though he had cancer. Sutter=quitter

Are you a friend of the family and can confirm that there's nothing going on?

Not trying to be a dick, just trying to get across a point....

Let's say something really does happen, if you're serious about your job, you wouldn't quit completely. Maybe you'll need a couple weeks to deal with the feeling and other stuffs, but Sutter's situation indicates he's not coming back even though he finishes his personal business. To me, that is what a quitter does and without question, Sutter is a person who escapes from reality.

But you are doing the same thing, sticking up for Sutter when he might be quitting because he doesn't like NJ. You don't know either. I'm not going to bash him because I don't care, if his heart isn't in it then I want him out of here, same as I would a player who doesn't want to be here.

Sutter will make his reputation on what he does next. If he sits out the year he doesn't owe anyone an excuse, if it is something he wants to keep private good for him. If he jumps right back in then he's just a liar.

But lets be simple here... he's a quitter because he quit. Doesn't mean there might not be a great excuse, buthe quit. If it was some family problem then I don't think he would have been thinking about it for weeks - at least I hope not.

Sutter is a jerk ass quitter. So he has to be away from his family for a while during the season? Don't sign the contract in the first place you dil. All this family talk is pretty much bs imo. Sh!t like this happens all the time, its just most people man up about it and do there job.

If it was some immediate emergency I suspect we wouldn't have been hearing about him leaving since December - and if it were something really bad he would have left at that point - or we would have heard about it elsewhere since he's got a son in Carolina and a brother in Calgary (and we all know Canadian media is on call 24-7 trying to find out any kind of dirt in hockey).

Fact is he didn't want to come here in the first place and it's been five months of these rumors since December. And his junior team and businesses at home were often the first thing cited as why. You only want to come up with all these hypotheticals because you like the guy and always get peeved the first post that bashes him.

I don't want to hear about Sutter's family (or how great Red Deer is for that matter) if he comes back to coach any team in the next few years.

Edited by Hasan4978

Really? How do you know that fact? What forced him to come to NJ against his will in the first place?

Lemme rephrase that then, he didn't want to leave Red Deer in the first place. Lou and Vanderbeek admitted at one point they were talking with him for I think eighteen months before he actually took the job. That (and Lou's acknowledgement that it was a year to year thing) tells me he was very hesitant to leave and Lou just wanted the guy that badly that he was willing to risk this happening.