Republican Senator from Nevada Admits Affair

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care too much but I thought it was pretty ironic to read this in the yahoo version of the story...

A born-again Christian, Ensign has been a member of the Promise Keepers, a male evangelical group that promotes marital fidelity.

When former Sen. Larry Craig (R-Idaho) was arrested in an airport men’s room in the summer of 2007, Ensign was among Craig’s toughest critics, saying Craig should step down because he had been charged with a crime.

I wouldn’t put myself, hopefully, in that kind of position, but if I was in a position like that, that’s what I would do,” Ensign told The Associated Press at the time.

During the 1998 impeachment of President Bill Clinton, Ensign, then a Senate candidate, called on Clinton to resign.

And from foxnews

Ensign made it clear he did not plan to resign. Ensign did not participate earlier Tuesday in a Senate vote concerning the ailing travel industry, an unusual absence considering the topic's relevance in his home state.

His affair started just 6 months after he called Craig to step down. And now he is staying in office? What a hypocrite.

Edited by squishyx

Glass houses.................

Yeah both sides probably cheat equally. It just makes republicans look like Hypocrites when they are known for anti-gay political positions, and then get caught banging a dude. In this guys case he was in the Evangelical Non-Wife cheaters club or whatever.

Yeah both sides probably cheat equally. It just makes republicans look like Hypocrites when they are known for anti-gay political positions, and then get caught banging a dude. In this guys case he was in the Evangelical Non-Wife cheaters club or whatever.

Here's the problem.

Republicans/Conservatives usually take a position of morality and generally traditional values. Therefore, those that step put of those positions and screw up are labeled hypocrites,etc.

Democrats/Liberals usually take positions of "anything goes", and do not hold onto traditional American family values. Therefore when they screw up, it doesn't seem to matter, because they encourage that type of behavior.

Here's the problem.

Republicans/Conservatives usually take a position of morality and generally traditional values. Therefore, those that step put of those positions and screw up are labeled hypocrites,etc.

Democrats/Liberals usually take positions of "anything goes", and do not hold onto traditional American family values. Therefore when they screw up, it doesn't seem to matter, because they encourage that type of behavior.

I would half agree with you. I think you assume Dems/Libs have no family values, instead of one's different than yours. Edwards presented himself (in a hokey unauthentic way imo) as a family man, and he cheated. But he's not out there telling other people what to do in their lives. That's the difference.

Some conservatives at least in my opinion over compensate for their own insecurities & inadequacies in life by publicly appearing strongly against these things in policy. Their "Christian" teachings say these things are wrong, but thee way Christianity deals with these things does not solve the problem. You can't pray away the gay, or join a group and solve it. Acting as a good Christian doesn't change who you are.

Edited by oofrostonoo

This may not have been directed at me, but I didn't call him a hypocrite because he was a republican. I think he is, by definition a hypocrite, because he was stupid enough to say he would step down in Craig's position. Well as luck (or irony) would have it, he is in a similar position and isn't stepping aside. I don't see a direct connection between your personal life and your political one, so I'm not even so sure he should resign had he not said what he did. But since he shot himself in the foot on this, he's clearly not a man of his word when it comes to statements he makes to the public, not just his family.

Edited by squishyx

As a registered Nevadan voter, allow me to do this on John Ensign's presidential aspirations for 2012:

:dance:

grave

Tee-hee! LOVE IT!!!!

Now if it was only reasonable to expect him to lose his senate seat because of this. Alas!

Edited by GA Devil

As a registered Nevadan voter, allow me to do this on John Ensign's presidential aspirations for 2012:

:dance:

grave

Tee-hee! LOVE IT!!!!

Now if it was only reasonable to expect him to lose his senate seat because of this. Alas!

You should go vote for your hero, Harry Reid.

Awww, Jimmy, that's a really poor effort, even for you. I've a post in this forum that states I *really* want to vote for Reid's opposition. There are potential scenarios where I would very grudgingly vote for him. Anyway, Reid's not my hero. Kucinich is. But you know that already.

** edit **

Actually, I have already voted for Reid. Knowing that I have contributed to your gnashing of teeth over this gives me warm fuzzies.

Edited by GA Devil

Ensign resigned today from some posts he held.

Tell me loons.......has Charlie Rangel resigned from any chairs he holds?

Or is it only Republican leadership that holds their members to any standards?

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

Ensign resigned today from some posts he held.

Tell me loons.......has Charlie Rangel resigned from any chairs he holds?

Or is it only Republican leadership that holds their members to any standards?

Did he say he would resign if he faced similar circumstances and then when he faced those circumstances decided he wasn't going to resign after all?

On the other hand, if you are suggesting we kick all the corrupt politicians out from both parties I'm with ya. Unfortunately there just doesn't seem to be much support for that in DC, so I'll settle for the loud mouth hypocrites.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.